The online racing simulator
Its time to tell the truth.
(14 posts, closed, started )
#1 - Elco
Maybe the developers want to tell the truth to me. To us lfs users.
Are there people working fulltime on this game?

Because it is 11 months ago we have a last patch wich give us... eh nothing really special.
S2 is now more than 5 years old.

Maybe you guys release s3 with a huge content in a month. Then we can delete this thread.

But in 5 years nothing special happened!
Yes, there are people working on it. Full time.

There have been plenty of additions and changes over the last five years since S2 was first released. To suggest otherwise demonstrates either total stupidity or an attempt to troll.
#3 - Elco
You have a point there. I don't know how many people are online with other race games but that was not the reason i started this tread.
#4 - Elco
Its a question to the devs. Not some tristancliffe with 125876 posts on a forum.
I didnt see a lot of changes..sorry
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes, there are people working on it. Full time.

There have been plenty of additions and changes over the last five years since S2 was first released. To suggest otherwise demonstrates either total stupidity or an attempt to troll.

What you mean is 'Anyone who disagrees with me is clearly trolling and not worth my precious time for I am TristanCliffe the more intellectually superior person so don't waste time with your drivel'
Oh this is gonna be good....

Have at him Tristan. :P
Not really. It's because there is progress - Scawen has written about what he is doing, and that hasn't changed. If you want to pretend that there hasn't been ANY updates since S2 was released, or that Scawen isn't programming the new physics then that's your call. But it goes against all the evidence available to us, and must, therefore, be trolling.

If Scawen hadn't written anything about progress for two years, and there hadn't been any patches since S2 came out (and there have been a lot), then the thread might be true. But it isn't.
#8 - Elco
I knew they are working on the game, i knew the physics problems, i knew they are working on a new track called rockingham.
My question is: when we can expect S3? Is that so difficult?

With other games the developers say things as: You can expect 10 or 20 new tracks, you have this new car and so on. And the release date is ......
#9 - Elco
Quote from JPeace :Hmmmm. People are still driving on LFS, its fine from their perspective. But at least, if you give a deadline, then meet it.

If they didn't sell new s2/s3 licenses the game is going to die in the future.
To answer that question:

S3 will be available when it is ready. As Scawen cannot predict the future and therefore what problems/bugs/glitches he'll encounter along the way, he can't say for any certainty when it might be. It might be this year, it might be next. Who knows. He certainly doesn't.

Big projects have target dates, so they can say WHEN something will be released, but not necessarily WHAT the contents will be, as they'll remove/fudge/limit features to meet deadlines. LFS is a different project - it exists because Scawen and Eric wanted to get away from deadline orientated, multi-programmer games development. They work at their own pace. Not a pace we want them to work at. Sometimes they do amazing things in short periods. Other times we get little done in a month. Insisting they release patches, progress reports, content when it suits you is against the very principles that LFS is being developed under.

S3 (or rather, the next patch and/or S3) is currently rumoured to contain two new cars and one new track for now, but the plan (although NOT a promise) is to expand that, either prior to release or by continued development as occurred with S2.

I think that's a fair assessment of LFS's status, and should answer anyones' questions regarding the development of LFS until release.
wow, this old chestnut again. and so soon.
Eric has done the Rockingham and Scirocco models, and they are part of this update, so he is working on it - i.e. he would be credited in the changelog (if they credited stuff).

Besides, Scawen is a person, and by working on it I am able to say "people are working on it".
#13 - Elco
If the devs say **** you to me and gave me the middle finger and say we do what we want its ok.
But let me see you some release dates here:

First message in the archive:
Quote :
added Fri, Sept. 6th, 2002 3:23 PM
There is a new full version 0.1B!

Quote :
added thur, jul. 17th, 2003 23.45
>S1 is out!

Quote :
added sat, Dec. 4th, 2004 12:00
>S2 Progress
>S2 CMX Viewer
S2 Progress

First the news... S2 has reached Alpha stage!

Quote :
added fri, Dec. 24th, 2004 23:45
>Happy holidays with a S2 video clip and new screenshots

Quote :
added wed, Mar. 2nd, 2005 22:00
>S2 development continues
>An additional Blackwood movie

Quote :
added fri, Jun. 24th, 2005 15:00
>LFS S2 ALPHA 0.5P released

Quote :
added sat, Mar. 31st, 2007 18:00
>LFS S2 Alpha, version W
new car sounds, graphical update

Quote :
added Fri, Dec 21st, 2007 17:00
>LFS S2 Alpha, version Y
Merry Christmas!

We are pleased to announce... Patch Y!

The patch contains many updates including :

- New car - Formula BMW FB02
- Updated South City track
- Updated Blackwood track
- Improved AI drivers
- Improved Physics
- Interface updates
- New training lessons

To read all about the new patch, go to the Patch Y information page

Enjoy the updates!

Quote :
added Thu, Dec 11th, 2008 19:10
>Announcing VW Scirocco

Quote :
added Fri, Aug 21st, 2009 20:30
>New Tyre Physics
Hello LFS Racers,

We are pleased to announce that a new tyre physics model is currently in the testing and refinement stage.

Quote :
added Mon, Sep 21st, 2009 17:30
>Rockingham coming to LFS

Quote :
added Wed, Oct 28th, 2009 21:00
>Patch Z25
Hello LFS Racers.

We have released a new, full version with many improvements : Z25

It is compatible with version Z, so does not contain the new tyre physics or the VW Scirocco. We are working to get those things to you as soon as possible, but in the meantime we wanted you to get the benefit of all the new compatible features and updates that have been tested a lot recently on our forum, including :

- Improved car shadows
- New wheel drawing system
- Improved road car dashboards
- ABS brakes on some road cars
- Improved and much faster List of Hosts
- Powerful and flexible multiple screen support

So s1-s2 took 2 years
2003-2005
S2 was a huge improvement

We were still driving with s2 content from 2005.

You people see why i am asking if the producers/developers are working full time on it?
To sum it all up...LFS is a great product and it was the best mostly becouse there was no serious competition on the sim market, well except rFactor. Papyrus was busy developing iR and netkar was being worked-on slowly, just like LFS is these days.
But now we have iRacing, although capitalistically oriented product, it is the current king of sim racing. rFactor2 is also coming very soon. LFS is going to be completely trashed by the other two. The updates we are awaiting (tyre physics, scirocco, rockingham) aren't nearly enough to keep the users, which are already fed up with the same content for the past (let say 5) years, entertained or motivated to stick to LFS. Unfortunately a one man band (or 3) just doesn't do it anymore. I sure do hope LFS stays afloat, but I'm affraid it may go down. Not soon, but it will slowly start to sink.
I've been (and still am) a part of LFS for nearly 8 years now, so I wouldn't say I'm just trolling
This thread is closed

(14 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG