The online racing simulator
Idea: Same Setup Server
(12 posts, started )
#1 - uiop
I have an excellent idea of an "same setup server"

Basically in that server every one races with the same set, using a little help by Airio. You ask how is that possible? Imagine now this:

1.Every racer has set their fuel capacity to match with the admin has told.
2.Everyone is in spec-mode
3.No one shows a sign of life. Those who do it will be penalized by 1 minute.
4.Then the admin will change the password, so no-one can interrupt.
5.Admin joins the track with the configured setup and sends the setup to all the participants.
6.Admin will configure the Airio to match the added mass and air-take % with his setup.
7.After he is done that, he says:
"Pit is opening in 10 seconds."
"Pit is opening in 5 seconds."
"Pit is open, you have 5 seconds to pit and join the track with the set given."
"Pit is closed. Will ban those who failed to join the track in the given time."
8.Admin will start the race.
9.Admin will ban everyone who pit during the event. Spectating and joining are allowed.

Event set is given out by admin via lfsforum. The only changes are made in the air-intake % and added mass section by admin, thus making in impossible to cheat.

Thoughts?
I was in a karting server today, and it's hard to tell who has adapted the set and who hasn't.

The only thing which was watched via airio was air-intake.
Does LFS check anything other other than handicaps, tires or passengers?
I dont think there is a way to detect if people are using TC or ABS or the % of fuel (or brake values, suspension, gearing, diff :razz
#4 - Seb66
Great stuff!, you come on to the [SR] Karting server, which is trying to currently run this idea and then call it your own..

Anyway, it's pretty impossible to stop people changing the setup without turning it into a league..even so, the biggest problem on our server was people changing the brake bias from 5% to something more easy.. which just defeats the point of a "Karting server", it can also be changed just before an admin wants to check your setup Not much you can do atm.. just got to trust people, which is hard because this is the internet :|.. Hurry up S3..
#5 - uiop
Speaking of trust, the admin may inspect the setups. If they are modified, the racer is banned, if not, continue racing.

Faulty admins banning fair users? Lets put a videocamera infront of the monitor and see the setup checking. It does really take 5 minutes for the full grid. Do not forget that pit=ban! Then the admin can not race itself, but then again 31 racers with 100% same setups is a darn good result!

yeah, i got the bump from SR, i admit it
#6 - Seb66
Quote from uiop :Speaking of trust, the admin may inspect the setups. If they are modified, the racer is banned, if not, continue racing.

Faulty admins banning fair users? Lets put a videocamera infront of the monitor and see the setup checking. It does really take 5 minutes for the full grid. Do not forget that pit=ban! Then the admin can not race itself, but then again 31 racers with 100% same setups is a darn good result!

yeah, i got the bump from SR, i admit it

Yeah, this has been trying to get off the ground for a while.. Such as the "LFS Porsche Carrera Cup", it just hasn't been able to find a free weekend that doesn't clash with other major league events. It still is a good idea though.

A problem with the [SR] Karting server, is that the main factor of the kart feel is the 5% brake bias, which can be changed on demand in the F11 menu. This means the driver could be using %50 for the whole race, then when the admin asks for the set, he can then changes it to 5% Ah well.
Its a good idea for a league as stated above, but can you seriously imagine that working on a public race server?

I dont want to be the admin saving all racer's setups and checking all of them to see if its within the adjustable limits. Something like that would be great if it can be controlled via an InSim, but that data is not currently not reported by LFS...

I believe it has already been suggested and hopefully something of the sort will be released by Scavier somewhere along the way.
#8 - uiop
Quote from Silverracer :Its a good idea for a league as stated above, but can you seriously imagine that working on a public race server?

You do not understand! The checking takes 5 minutes, if racer pits then hes banned. but yes public racers come and go, its more suitable for league racing, and admit it, there would be a big need of this league.

Bad news: UFR, XFR, FBM, FOX, F08, XRR, FZR, FXR and BF1 has adjustable brake(more front wheels or back) %s.
In FXR, XRR, FZR, F08 and BF1 you can change stabilizers and adjustable brake(more front wheels or back) %s.

Good news: UF1, XFG, XRG, LX4, LX6, RB4, FXO, XRT, RAC, FZ5 sets cant change on track.

Its not so bad
Quote from uiop :You do not understand! The checking takes 5 minutes, if racer pits then hes banned. but yes public racers come and go, its more suitable for league racing, and admit it, there would be a big need of this league.

Bad news: UFR, XFR, FBM, FOX, F08, XRR, FZR, FXR and BF1 has adjustable brake(more front wheels or back) %s.
In FXR, XRR, FZR, F08 and BF1 you can change stabilizers.

Good news:UF1, XFG, XRG, LX4, LX6, RB4, FXO, XRT, RAC, FZ5

Its not so bad

yes but youd have to check EVERY race, and EVERY driver. It isnt like long 5 hr races where drivers cant change much , it is a short races.
#10 - uiop
Quote from Bmxtwins :yes but youd have to check EVERY race, and EVERY driver. It isnt like long 5 hr races where drivers cant change much , it is a short races.

Ok I agree its to raw for public races, but you can not complain in league or event races. Now what problems we have left? Oh yes, whos adminin?
Quote from uiop :Ok Now what problems we have left?

What sort of restrictions would you set on the sets?

i.e. Everyone MUST use the base set (maybe a set that a predifined before a said event by the admins). Maybe have a few allowances? Camber/tyre pressure can be changed.

Now lets says only some areas are restricted.
i.e. Brake balance, steering, drive train setting cannot be changed.

People would spend hours testing and making a set that'll work withing the set limits. At the end of qualifying/race you would have to send the set to an admin: would that admin be totally impartial?

Its quite likely that admin(s) is affiliate to some team or another (probabaly a team thats running in that leage itself...) and of course he could simply pass on a set to a friend... So how would teams feel like passing sets for an admin to check?

I'm not putting down the idea - just couple of stuff that need to considered with manual setup checking...
#12 - uiop
You may as well download the setups from setupgrid, use purely race_s, or modify one thing on race_s, that the league has shown the most interest in?

Qualifying should be done with the same set as race set..

Everyone gets the same set. Maybe we should pick randomly the specific set usage on certain track?

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG