The online racing simulator
Pirelli to use GP2 tyre in F1?
(12 posts, started )
#1 - samjh
Just picked this up from Autosport:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87530

I'm not sure whether Gascoyne is talking about the same tyre, or just the same compound. It's a weird decision for Pirelli to use the same compound or tyre in F1 as it does in GP2. You'd think they'd develop something different!
saw that, im pretty sure they use a different tyre however they both herald similar results.
I read that the same way you did. The F1 tyres will be of the same compound then that of GP2 tyres. If that's the case, then this should be pretty intresting for Lotus having a Jr team in GP2, they get hard data before anyone else putting them in a pretty good position for the sessions as they will be about an hour smarter then everyone else.
Renault have a GP2 team too I think. Anyway, I'm sure GP2 teams will hawk data around to the highest bidder.

Not sure how much use it would be though, being on a different car and perhaps a different construction?
It's not really "news" anymore. This came out a few weeks ago.

But what interests me from the article is this:
"There were various people able to offer solutions, but with a 2010 gearbox layout, which would not have been able to accommodate the suspension layout that we are looking at. Red Bull Racing was able to offer us that, with very up-to-date technology, a very lightweight package - and with the rear suspension layout we wanted - plus integrated with the engine direction we are going."

Hinting a pull-rod rear suspension? with a tighter rear-end packaging?
Im assuming they are going only the lines of Redbulls suspention, which last year without the Double diffuser was still able to match the likes of the Brawn on some circuits.
Interesting move, but F1 drivers are professionals they will adapt quickly and everyone...except the smaller budget teams will be on par in no time.
After all this is a good move atleast it wont be boring and the same.
#8 - samjh
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Renault have a GP2 team too I think?

They don't quite "have" a team, but Renault F1's current test drivers both drive in DAMS in the GP2 series.

Renault is the engine supplier to GP2.

Red Bull's Christian Horner owns Arden, so I'm sure he'll leech data from his GP2 team.

Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :"There were various people able to offer solutions, but with a 2010 gearbox layout, which would not have been able to accommodate the suspension layout that we are looking at. Red Bull Racing was able to offer us that, with very up-to-date technology, a very lightweight package - and with the rear suspension layout we wanted - plus integrated with the engine direction we are going."

Sounds like you're on the mark.
Quote from samjh :They don't quite "have" a team, but Renault F1's current test drivers both drive in DAMS in the GP2 series.

Renault is the engine supplier to GP2.

Red Bull's Christian Horner owns Arden, so I'm sure he'll leech data from his GP2 team.

Sounds like you're on the mark.

I thought Arden was a GP3 team half owned by Webber and Horner.
my bad lol.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :It's not really "news" anymore. This came out a few weeks ago.

But what interests me from the article is this:
"There were various people able to offer solutions, but with a 2010 gearbox layout, which would not have been able to accommodate the suspension layout that we are looking at. Red Bull Racing was able to offer us that, with very up-to-date technology, a very lightweight package - and with the rear suspension layout we wanted - plus integrated with the engine direction we are going."

Everyone will probably go pull rod next year with the ban of the DDD. If they don't go with they will at least have a much deeper look at it before choosing push rod design.

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG