The online racing simulator
Do you play guitar?
(83 posts, started )
Do you play guitar?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I played guitar for one year in Poland but then I moved to USA and had no chance of playing but I have band in school and play a little there but I suck now. In Poland I played much better.

WOW this guy is amazing.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I like this one.

I'm not a guitarist though, I'm a bassist. Just cleaned and polished my Warwick this very evening actually and it's looking and smelling lovely.

I'm liking the 'fur elise' reference there!

cool man.. I've a Santana SE n a Yamaha 12 string of some sort.
Been playing for over 20yrs, and still only know three chords.

Frank Vignola is considered by his peer's to be the best living jazz guitarist atm.
http://video.yahoo.com/video/p ... 3DUTF-8&vback=Results
He's the one in the middle, but this is him and a couple of pals 'jus having a jam'
Playing for 18 years now. He is quite impressive.
I tried to learn in my first and second year of uni (I swapped an electric for an old mobile ), but I never put the time or effort into it. Plus I have stupidly short fingers (for the size of my palm) which meant even if I could remember the chords I couldn't reach them.

But I used to play, and have lessons when I was 10-13, but I've forgotten it all.

So I guess that's a no then
#7 - joen
I have a guitar and I try playing it...sort of
I just think my fingers aren't flexible enough Maybe I haven't tried hard enough, and I still plan to put more effort into it but I fear it's just something I don't have the talent for
I've been playing for 20 years.

I think it's important to start young, as you don't really notice that you're learning. If I tried to learn now I doubt I'd be able to stick with it. But when I was 14 loads of people around me were playing and it was such a common and natural thing to do. Before I knew it I'd been playing for a year and was quite good.

I played in bands for about 12 years and have continued to write songs and contribute music to various projects. Did hundreds of gigs, all over the UK and had some amazing times. I plan to join another giging band this year, although sadly my dreams of being a rock star are passed.
There are some similarities with sim racing in the sense that a lot of it is about muscle memory. If I learn an unfamiliar chord, or if I'm trying to learn a tricky phrase or passage, then I need to basically 'program in' what my fingers are supposed to be doing. Even if you've been playing for years this process still needs to be seen through. You keep on doing it and doing it, not until you get it right, but until you never get it wrong.

I suppose the difficulty when first learning is that none of the moves your fingers need to make are 'programmed' in'. I see it if I'm teaching a complete beginner the most basic techniques - even the most fundamental fingering positions are like a contortion for them, often leading to pain and severe discomfort and the feeling that 'I'll never be able to do this'. The muscle memory and the conditioning isn't there. It just takes time, and PRACTICE
-
ya gotta give the kids credit, but,

it made me feel a little queasy..

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to gigging!
I tried playing my brother's guitar when I was a kid, but I thought it was an ergonomic nightmare that made my fingers bleed. As a result, I've played keyboard for about 25 years. I'm still just a hack though. I rely on a PC and sequencer to compose and arrange all of my songs, and fix my frequent mistakes... I’m more of a composer than a performer, although I never use prerecorded loops or any of that crap. I do actually play everything...the best I can. I do like guitars. I just hate trying to play them
Quote from dontsimon :There are some similarities with sim racing in the sense that a lot of it is about muscle memory. If I learn an unfamiliar chord, or if I'm trying to learn a tricky phrase or passage, then I need to basically 'program in' what my fingers are supposed to be doing. Even if you've been playing for years this process still needs to be seen through. You keep on doing it and doing it, not until you get it right, but until you never get it wrong.

I suppose the difficulty when first learning is that none of the moves your fingers need to make are 'programmed' in'. I see it if I'm teaching a complete beginner the most basic techniques - even the most fundamental fingering positions are like a contortion for them, often leading to pain and severe discomfort and the feeling that 'I'll never be able to do this'. The muscle memory and the conditioning isn't there. It just takes time, and PRACTICE

Very nicely put simon.I never moved beyond the beginner stage I think, but I think you're right on the money.I played for about 9 months while attending 'højskole' ( dont know the english word, sorry), I distinctly remember the satisfaction it was to learn the more difficult chords and being able to play them without error ( barré chords was nasty as I remember, and before that the very first difficult chord we learned, the G chord I think, which indeed felt quite impossible and unnatural at the time).

Unfortunately our teacher was so proud of us that she forced us to perform for the rest of the students (about 80 people I guess), and that was also an unnatural experience.Thankfully it was not embarrasing at all, and to this day my toes don't curl up when I think about it.
#15 - Gunn
26 years here. There are few things in my life that are more important. I like to have a few guitars around the house for people to play when they drop by.

One of the cool things about guitar is the different people that it attracts. You could be the genius locked in the basement writing never-to-be-heard ballads on an old Yamaha classical or you might be the guy with the cape and spiked boots on the elevated stage with your Flying V jammed into the front of your burning Marshall stack. Both guys may well play guitar until the day they die.
Thought i'd make a list

Guitars
Mini's
Beer
(Mini's not used in conjuction with beer)
(Guitars used in conjunction with beer! haha)
Women

Women? Bottom of the list? huh go figure!

Some nice acoustic work highlighted here. I have an acoustic, but it is cheap junk. I tried to play for a bit, but the action is like an inch off the fretboard, LOL. I don't know if it could be fixed as it is cheap junk. I can play Wish You Were Here from Pink Floyd and a bit of the introduction to Metallica's Fade to Black, but that's about it.

Ideally, I'd like to learn and pick up a nice electric guitar. My goal/dream was to be able to play some Pink Floyd solo's.

For some electric work, I love this vid. This kid is absolutely fabulous and I could listen to this all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8&eurl=
I've been playing for about 9 months, havent had any lessons but have made some progress, nothing like that kid in the video though WOW

http://media.putfile.com/Dani-California-Solo-37
Here's a clip i made from the solo (its not all of it, the end is too fast for me atm :tilt of Dani Califonia by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which is a great song, and so is the album
-
Been playing for about 9 years now - and I'm 18, so started when I was 9. I mainly played acoustic and got my Grade 8 a couple of years ago, sad thing is, since then I havnt really put the effort in, soon after that I switched to electric properly (had been playing on and off before).

Then I joined a jazz band and played quited a few gigs. Was good fun and we went to Amsterdamn to play a couple of gigs which was cool but eventually the group got smaller and smaller and now doesnt exist.

Recently I've just been playing casually, when exams are over though (in less than a week ) I'll have the whole summer free to get back into it and jam with mates etc

edit: Just watching a couple of those vids, that kinda stuff really encourages me to start playing seriously again. Some great guitarists there
#20 - shim
Quote from mrodgers :
For some electric work, I love this vid. This kid is absolutely fabulous and I could listen to this all the time.

only thing i dun like bout that clip is he gets carried away towards the end with his sweeps and taps.. apart from that its brilliant..
I've been playing in various bands now for over 20 years. Mostly rock, R&B, some Indy stuff, a stint as bass player in a jazz band, another as bassist in a really good heavy rock band, but mostly lead and rhythm in pub covers-type bands. Had a great R&B band when I was out working in Saudi arabia for 4 years; complete with brass and horn section, excellent stuff! I love all sorts of guitar music. I've built a beautiful (but heavy) 5-string bass from Warmoth, and am now putting together various strats and teles ('partscasters') from various ebay bits I'm picking up. Also recently started teaching guitar to beginners and intermediates, which is great fun. I now have about 15 guitars at home and really need some more wall space. Currently having a rest from live gigging, but I miss it already.
Quote from Kajojek(PL) :Lol his guitar stopped working at the end.

I wish it had stopped working at the beginning.
Quote from mrodgers :For some electric work, I love this vid. This kid is absolutely fabulous and I could listen to this all the time.

Ive seen that before and i like it also.
I know someone mentioned about warm up metal solo thing (Cant remember exact comment) but i like this video also http://video.google.com/videop ... 755325&q=guitar+alexi

Ive been playing for about 2 years but there been lots of time during that where ive not had time to practice so i have to re learn alot of stuff. I started with an encore acoustic which i have still got and i like. Gettin on a year ago picked up a nice gibson les paul electric. Dont do it justice but one day i will
Let me know if you ever want to sell it - which model?
Uh Yeah, I been playing for a long time. In the 90's I got totally turned off by the music scene here dropped out and quit for a few years. I started up again around 2000, but I mostly just play un plugged and noodle alot.

Currently trying to learn an old King's X song, Summerland.
I play an annoying version of Hotel California - you know like what if Eddie Van Halen was in the Eagles instead of Joe Walsh.

I HATE drop D tuning... and personally think all axes should have arched tops and F holes

Here's a fairly decent site for tabs I found on the net... But remember not all tabs posted are accurate. In fact, I think some people just made things up and posted But for the most part, they seem to be ok

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
-
-

Do you play guitar?
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG