The online racing simulator
fatal tcp error: connreset
(10 posts, started )
I loaded up LFS the other day, chose a server, but then i got this error message...

TCP FATAL ERROR: CONNRESET
Lost connection to host.

So oh well i thought, just reconnect, and no TCP errors next time, but i cannot stay on a server for any longer than a few seconds, not even long enough to leave the pits and i have lost connection to host straight away, despite the fact that im not lagging at all (as far as i can tell, little green bar in bottom left is moving as it should a few times a second, not going into the red or anything) so its very odd and annoying, as it hasnt done this before.

Speedtest result seems fine too, not brilliant as im running on a 3g dongle, but no ridiculously bad latency or anything.

How is it even possible to lose connection without lagging and timing out, surely thats the only way to lose connection??

As i said i have only had this start happening over the last few days or so and it makes no difference what time of the day/night i play, weather i use demo or s2 servers, weather i use full or empty servers, no difference, the same thing happens on all of em after between 10 and 15 seconds, lost connection to host and thats it.

Any ideas anyone??
could be packet loss, try pingtest.net, this will show your line quality and packet loss. had a similar problem with BT at peak time a while ago. do you have a capped or limited connection?
Hmm, pingtest.net will not work for me, it errors half way through saying something about a firewall could be blocking connection (i checked, it isnt) or that their server has a problem.

But i can ping test anywhere i want using cmd which works fine...

Quote from CMD :

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ping www.lfs.net

Pinging lfs.net [213.40.20.2] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 213.40.20.2: bytes=32 time=221ms TTL=48
Reply from 213.40.20.2: bytes=32 time=126ms TTL=48
Reply from 213.40.20.2: bytes=32 time=126ms TTL=48
Reply from 213.40.20.2: bytes=32 time=115ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 213.40.20.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 115ms, Maximum = 221ms, Average = 147ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>

Anyone know if the ip addy of the master server is available for me to ping??
If you have a decent firewall that can show you which applications are connected to what in the real time, you can use it get IP of the master sever and a game server you're connected. Then you can ping these IPs manually to see if there is any packet loss or if the problem affects only packets transmitted by LFS.
Quote from danthebangerboy :

But i can ping test anywhere i want using cmd which works fine...

At -t after the command. 4 packets is not enough to test if you experience packet loss.

Leave the cmd box open while you join a server and start racing and analyze afterwards.
Thanks for that dave, i started the cmd thing off and tried to join some servers, had a good few goes, first of all got the connreset error followed by the lost connection to host error, then everytime i tried after that i simply got the lost connection to host error after between 5 and 10 seconds of being in the server, even trying an empty server caused the same behavoiur, all the time cmd pingtest was running, sent 350+ packets with 0% loss speeds between 200-350ms all the way through, so it looks like i can ping the MS fine, but its something in between causing this, which must mean servers, all of them, as i have tried at least 20 servers, full or empty, demo or s1 or s2, makes no difference, still happens, very odd indeed
I suggest you try pinging the servers you connect to directly, pinging just the MS won't tell you much. Anyway, it looks like your ISP might be filtering some "uncommon" traffic...
Do you make use of a proxy server with that 3g dongle?

Place a "tracert cargame.nl" here if you are not sure.
:bump:

Hey Dan did you manage to sort this out? Yet another thread popped up with " lost connection ".

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=70550

And how about the community getting together and coming up with FAQ regarding hosting (incl. known issues) and dealing with skins? These can be stickied / added to exsisting stikies / added to the LFS Manual.

Or are there any such threads/articles lying about?

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG