The online racing simulator
Quote from bunder9999 :yes, but just because they are there doesn't mean they intended for those vehicles to be added to lfs at some point... they could have been used for internal testing.

I'm not convinced either. The point is that Scavier develop things their own way, they don't only copy real models.

And the OP's point isn't completely off-base. Some of the models are getting old, any way you spin it. The FZ5's exhausts are cartoonish at best now. You wouldn't need a thousand polygons to improve them to "good enough".
FreeTurbosquid.com Sign up today!
Quote from Breizh :I'm not convinced either. The point is that Scavier develop things their own way, they don't only copy real models.

And the OP's point isn't completely off-base. Some of the models are getting old, any way you spin it. The FZ5's exhausts are cartoonish at best now. You wouldn't need a thousand polygons to improve them to "good enough".

You also don't need to spend thousands of dollars replacing every car in the game with cars from turbosquid, when you could just make minor adjustments to the car you already have.

Quote :Oh my God !! Victor posted in the other thread we also discussed about the models before closing it! Heheh

Not a comment through about the models.....At least he read about them and maybe checked them out ( i hope )

Why are you so excited? Are you some kind of fangirl or something? You're all like: "Liek oh-MiGod, guys! Victor just like totally sort-of looked at my link maybe!!! That is like, sooo f***ing fabulous, guyz!!!" OK, I'm just Joking. Don't take that seriously.

Anywho, I think you need to start making your own racing sim if these models are so freggen' important to you. Hell, I'd help. We could have multi-platform support and everything.

In the meantime, I don't think shoving this turbosquid link up the developers @$$es is is a very good Idea. If the devs really wanted to do this, they would have done it back in 2005.
Where did I argue for that kind of five figure expense, or that that was one good aspect of the OP suggestion?
I'm confused.
Quote from Breizh :Where did I argue for that kind of five figure expense, or that that was one good aspect of the OP suggestion?

you didn't. I never said you did. I was simply compounding your statement.
That's what your post read like. My bad.
In the end - LFS will never outsource 3D models from 3rd parties. The intent of this thread will never become reality.

Eric does the 3D Art - and he will always be doing it by himself - end of story - it will not - ever change.
Quote from CodieMorgan :Eric does the 3D Art - and he will always be doing it by himself - end of story - it will not - ever change.

Scawen did the UFs...
Quote from bbman :Scawen did the UFs...

You are defeating the point here.....

Quote from John5200 :... actually the demo cars have more polygons than the most S1/S2 cars....

^ -- I never said anything about poly count on any car - and I don't care either, and never have cared.

The only place were I care about polys are over at the RCX forum - were I model polys to cover our current lack of texturing - due to the slinger working on non graphic related things.

All I care about besides that is beer, one girl , and cigarettes when I sit behind my PC after work....
Quote from CodieMorgan :You are defeating the point here.....

I know, I just couldn't help myself there... Sorry!
.... all sounds great and all... but seriously, who the hell in thier right mind would spend nearly $2000 dollars for sim cars? lol im sorry but if i was willing to spend that much on a sim game, i have more real life racecar stuff to buy, not virtual cars that look like renders... nice work.. but way to over the top! Devs keep it up your doing just fine!
Quote from iceman31x :.... All sounds great and all... But seriously, who the hell in thier right mind would spend nearly $2000 dollars for sim cars? Lol im sorry but if i was willing to spend that much on a sim game, i have more real life racecar stuff to buy, not virtual cars that look like renders... Nice work.. But way to over the top! Devs keep it up your doing just fine!

+1
-_-"
Quote from IceMan31x :.... all sounds great and all... but seriously, who the hell in thier right mind would spend nearly $2000 dollars for sim cars? lol im sorry but if i was willing to spend that much on a sim game, i have more real life racecar stuff to buy, not virtual cars that look like renders... nice work.. but way to over the top! Devs keep it up your doing just fine!

+2

This is one of the worst ideas I've seen here, to be honest. I don't want to seem like one of the many anal retentive members on this site that always shoot down a good Idea for some really stupid reasons, (we have a lot of members like that on this forum,:really but this Idea is just plain horrible. Period.
Quote from IceMan31x :.... all sounds great and all... but seriously, who the hell in thier right mind would spend nearly $2000 dollars for sim cars? lol im sorry but if i was willing to spend that much on a sim game, i have more real life racecar stuff to buy, not virtual cars that look like renders... nice work.. but way to over the top! Devs keep it up your doing just fine!

Well almost every single game out there for those that don't have a clue about game design cost dozen of thousands of dollars to make and some even cost hundreds or even millions of dollars.You think 2000 dollars to update all the cars in a game and add a couple more if a lot ?It's a steal.Turbosquid as some other 3d marketplaces uses content people created so everybody sort of wins.Some money go to the site,some to the original creator(who will get multiplay sales for each model) and a lot of money and time is saved by the people that use those models and assets.

A "proffetional game designer "-somebody that has worked on previous games or has attended a gaming university may ask 30-40.000 dollars a year to work on a game.Even the best designers need a week or two to model a car with that level of detail.Modeling 2 dozens would require around a year of work....

But with 1000-2000 $ you can have them immediately and that would only leave the physics to be tweaked by the devs.

Just to understand how incredible game development costs can be take a look here :
http://techgage.com/news/top_1 ... e_game_development_costs/
1) LFS has a pretty good modeler, his name is Eric
2) Games you mentioned were funded by Rockstar, Microsoft, Valve etc. Just because they were pretty expensive to develop doesn't mean all games have to be.
3) These models you're talking about over and over are not "plug and play", some serious modifications would be necessary. Moreover, even if they were put in LFS, they wouldn't look nowhere near as good as they do on the screenshots. Screenies like those take hours to render (raytracing and stuff) and LFS is not a turn-based strategy as far as I'm concerned.
4) High amount of high-detailed models available on the web indicates that creating some doesn't take as much time as it seems. Given the fact that there hasn't been a patch released for nearly 2 years I reckon that Eric would have had all cars in LFS remodeled in HQ by now if he wanted.
You're not even reading this, are you?
Quote from justasimfan :Well almost every single game out there for those that don't have a clue about game design cost dozen of thousands of dollars to make and some even cost hundreds or even millions of dollars.You think 2000 dollars to update all the cars in a game and add a couple more if a lot ?It's a steal.Turbosquid as some other 3d marketplaces uses content people created so everybody sort of wins.Some money go to the site,some to the original creator(who will get multiplay sales for each model) and a lot of money and time is saved by the people that use those models and assets.

This is a complete non-issue. There is already a model designer on the team. for you to even mention development costs is a complete waste of time. The cars are fine the way they are, and I find it hard to imagine anything more idiotic than buying third-party models to replace the ones in the game already. I can't stress enough how much of an incredibly stupid waste of time and money that is.I'm not trying to be a complete @$$hole here, either. I've seen many good Ideas shot down for some of the stupidest possible reasons, but this isn't one of those examples.

Quote from justasimfan :A "proffetional game designer "-somebody that has worked on previous games or has attended a gaming university may ask 30-40.000 dollars a year to work on a game.Even the best designers need a week or two to model a car with that level of detail.Modeling 2 dozens would require around a year of work....

why are you bringing this up? there is already a model designer on the team. Should he be fired in favor of buying bloatware car models from turbosquid.com? Do you understand how batsh!t insane it is to replace perfectly good looking car models that probably took months to perfect and develop and replacing them all with overbloated slow as sh!t models that probably won't run well on more than half of the current LFS player's computers?

Quote from justasimfan :But with 1000-2000 $ you can have them immediately and that would only leave the physics to be tweaked by the devs.

WHY THE HELL SHOULD THE CAR MODELS BE REPLACED??? I understand adding a few extra cars to the game using this method, but why replace the existing cars??

You aren't even reading this, are you? You have just flat-out ignored every post I made since the the other thread, and now you're just ignoring more than half of the replies in this thread as well. Every time someone asks you a simple question, (WHY SHOULD THE CAR MODELS BE REPLACED,) you either ignore or side-step the question and pretend it isn't there.

I looked at the rest of your post and about 100% of everything you have ever discussed on this site is about replacing the car models. are you even capable of discussing anything else??
He just wants than lfs looks like Gran Turismo 5.. that's not too hard to
understand..
Quote from ATiRAGEPRO :I looked at the rest of your post and about 100% of everything you have ever discussed on this site is about replacing the car models. are you even capable of discussing anything else??

:feedtroll
The Fawking Colors Dude.

Now then, The dev's won't do anything for you, Because you have not contributed, Playing on your brothers sim rig is just about as good as saying Check out this slick cracked s3 l33t version!

You are forgetting the fact that LFS is developed by (Let me colour and font shit <3) 3 People! They don't have as much money as valve nor do they have about 50+ people working on graphics alone. If you want graphics, Go to some LFS modding site and see what they have, Not trying to be rude, But half the damn community has said no to it, In very positive light that does not sound like "NO NFSXXZZZ" Like you said, If you cannot read the posts and figure that Nobody gives a shit about polys And that Some people want it just like it is I mean seriously kid, We've told you, This isn't going to happen in the near future, Go discuss a off topic thread, Or develop your own game, There isn't much more argument you can do here man!

ATiRAGEPRO.. Did you steal my crayons? How do you have such vibrant posts, It really draws my eyes.. And I want my crayons back damn you.
-
(maxpower85) DELETED by SamH : vob mod/related
-
(Tomba(FIN)) DELETED by SamH : vob mod/related
-
(ChiliFan) DELETED by SamH : vob mod/related
Quote from MadCatX :1) LFS has a pretty good modeler, his name is Eric
2) Games you mentioned were funded by Rockstar, Microsoft, Valve etc. Just because they were pretty expensive to develop doesn't mean all games have to be.
3) These models you're talking about over and over are not "plug and play", some serious modifications would be necessary. Moreover, even if they were put in LFS, they wouldn't look nowhere near as good as they do on the screenshots. Screenies like those take hours to render (raytracing and stuff) and LFS is not a turn-based strategy as far as I'm concerned.
4) High amount of high-detailed models available on the web indicates that creating some doesn't take as much time as it seems. Given the fact that there hasn't been a patch released for nearly 2 years I reckon that Eric would have had all cars in LFS remodeled in HQ by now if he wanted.

MadCatX I am not trying to pick a fight.I am trying to help lfs get improved but everybody here see any suggestion to their "Holy Grail" as a personal attack...Most people here have idolized lfs..And when they realize how behind it is they are going to be the first to leave.

1-FOR CHRIST SAKE you are trying to defend Eric's job !!!! For CHRIST SAKE man he is one of the devs.... And having the car models bought ready that does not mean he has nothing more to do-quite the contrary....Tracks...tracks and again tracks,animation for spectators,crews,better animations for drivers etc....

2-The games i mentioned cost MILLION of dollars a million equals to 1.000.000 dollars ok...? I am talking about spending 1.000 dollars the max 2.000.
And don't even start the-How you know they have money excuse... (20.000-30.000 s2 users multiplied by 40 dollars equals = ??? )

3-YES THEY ARE REAL TIME RENDERS...

4-Yes you simultaneously both right and wrong....You can model a high quality model in a couple of days,but if you want a full model with interior and underside you will need a good week or two.
Quote from justasimfan :MadCatX I am not trying to pick a fight.I am trying to help lfs get improved but everybody here see any suggestion to their "Holy Grail" as a personal attack...

No!

Posting your suggestion once is fine. To keep on posting it in every 2nd thread in the Main Forums is not.

But I don't think you'll learn this.
2a Is that really what a commercial license of those models or similar models would cost?
2b You are only guessing at Scavier's budget for LFS.

3 & 4 LFS is not a screenshot generator: those models are beyond LFS' graphics budget within the overall budget, because physics are the prime objective of LFS. And which would you rather have along with high quality physics: more items of content rendered at medium-quality, or less items rendered at high quality? LFS is after realistic function, before realistic fashion.

Remember, a 30 car grid of cars multiplies what might seem like only marginal performance budget differences between only mildly-improved models, and models as highly improved as those you're arguing for.
Quote from justasimfan :Hi there!
-Also all real cars featured in lfs are there in mind boggling details
some examples :
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/maya-toyota-supra/428586

This supra model have 1500 000 polygons and no interior
Most detailed car in gran turismo 5 have 500 000 polygons
Forza 3 cars have 100 000
More detailed mods for Rfactor has around 10 000 - 20 000 polys
I dont know how many polygons have LFS cars maybe 5000

Its impossible to put this models into any game
Quote from justasimfan :Well almost every single game out there for those that don't have a clue about game design cost dozen of thousands of dollars

You dont have any clue about game development

And - no - most Turbo Squid car models - are not shown in real time renders.

Quote :A "proffetional game designer "-somebody that has worked on previous games or has attended a gaming university may ask 30-40.000 dollars a year to work on a game.Even the best designers need a week or two to model a car with that level of detail.

Lol - a week? Impossible if you want that level of detail.... AND make it work in game...

$40,000 a year? The US-Army pays you more than that - even as a E0 to E4 ranks it is possible....
Hell u can get a sign up bonus of 20K to 40k anyhow... just ask your local recruiting office.... No need to talk bullshit about an industry that is far more complicated than you think.

1: Base model
2: test
3: model it more
4: test and compare to concepts or base, fix rat nests in mesh, remove excess detailing
5: model until 'mesh' is finished
6: LOD implementations - or LOD detailing in mesh - optimizations
7: UVW unwrapping, textureing
8: creating textures when tested unwraps are right
9: additional textures for Shine,Ref, Normals Mapping, etc......

10: IK a and suspension animation linking ( 3D Modeller's Job )
--- suspension animated mesh works correctly? Mesh breaks?
--- animated doors?
--- non-hinged animation bits?

11: constant in game model tests - and game editing tools testing of 3d models

This takes more than "a week"....

If the models is for a Licensed Ferrari - you will likely have to go back - weeks or even months later - to adjust the mesh and textures for anything that doesn't match the real car - especial when they enforce that as part of an agreement.

Quote :
Modeling 2 dozens would require around a year of work....

You definitely don't know what u are talking about.

Only the larger game development companies have Hollywood Budgets, some even get sponsorships.

90% of all game developers & designers have average , or less than average income after costs.

Licensing labels and permissions often are not "royaltie free" - EG: Toyota could allow their cars into GT5 - but would require Sony to pay them for using the label, and car labels. If the devs dont have a licensing agreement - people get sued.
You forgot about making sure the damage model works unless that's somewhere in what you said.. And since you seem to know more than me, Whats the problem of making cars that are based off licensed cars but not like.. Ford would be forunda or something crazy.. Is that legal or no?
Quote from CodieMorgan :You dont have any clue about game development

And - no - most Turbo Squid car models - are not shown in real time renders.

Lol - a week? Impossible if you want that level of detail.... AND make it work in game...

$40,000 a year? The US-Army pays you more than that - even as a E0 to E4 ranks it is possible....
Hell u can get a sign up bonus of 20K to 40k anyhow... just ask your local recruiting office.... No need to talk bullshit about an industry that is far more complicated than you think.

1: Base model
2: test
3: model it more
4: test and compare to concepts or base, fix rat nests in mesh, remove excess detailing
5: model until 'mesh' is finished
6: LOD implementations - or LOD detailing in mesh - optimizations
7: UVW unwrapping, textureing
8: creating textures when tested unwraps are right
9: additional textures for Shine,Ref, Normals Mapping, etc......

10: IK a and suspension animation linking ( 3D Modeller's Job )
--- suspension animated mesh works correctly? Mesh breaks?
--- animated doors?
--- non-hinged animation bits?

11: constant in game model tests - and game editing tools testing of 3d models

This takes more than "a week"....

If the models is for a Licensed Ferrari - you will likely have to go back - weeks or even months later - to adjust the mesh and textures for anything that doesn't match the real car - especial when they enforce that as part of an agreement.

You definitely don't know what u are talking about.

Only the larger game development companies have Hollywood Budgets, some even get sponsorships.

90% of all game developers & designers have average , or less than average income after costs.

Licensing labels and permissions often are not "royaltie free" - EG: Toyota could allow their cars into GT5 - but would require Sony to pay them for using the label, and car labels. If the devs dont have a licensing agreement - people get sued.

About the money i am speaking don't forget i am talking in Europe where to put it frankly we are f$%%$....Still people pass by ok (our generation) but 15 years ago everybody had their own house ,where now everybody at best has his own appartment.In a few years everybody will just have enough money to rent an appartment....

(Btw for 40.000 a year you are willing to go to iraq and kill for companies/get killed/maimed ?????? -i thought you get a lot of money and an early retirement..... )

Anyway back on the main subject!

Licencing can easily bypassed by simply changing each car names(leave the same names we have now fxo,rb4,xr etc..) and change the brand badges .

As for the models themselves how difficult is to simplify a model ? Simply reduce the polygon number...
The same with textures...I mean you can have 4096x4096 textures simply converted to lower resolutions in seconds with photoshop....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG