The online racing simulator
BSOD at Windows 7 Load
(13 posts, started )
BSOD at Windows 7 Load
I get a BSOD "Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer." As windows 7 Ultimate loads. Litteraly as the red orb appears.

I've googled for about a hour on this and ran the chkdsk utility from cmd in recovery console, but to no avail. Every boot option gives me the BSOD. Safe mode. Safe mode with networking. Safe mode vga...

Also the hard drive im using is a old IDE that i used in a previous PC out of state that has the OS on it. I wrapped it, 2 other HDD's and a videocard in brown papertowels for cushion in my luggage in the middle of clothes in a videocard box. Is it a possibility that it got damaged in baggage handling? I doubt it to be honest. I wrapped them thick and i packed tons of clothes in my suitcase. I doubt they even moved a cm.

Will i really have to erase it to fix it?
#2 - Bean0
Are you trying to use an installation from another PC ?

The chipset, controllers etc could all be different, and this would stop Windows loading I imagine.
Yeah it was in a Way older Asus machine. DDR, AGP, Socket 478. Now im trying to use it in a DDR3, PCI-E, AM3 machine.
You might try booting it in safe mode, uninstalling all the drivers and reboot. But the best way to go is to backup the data and reinstall windows. Even if you get it working, it might be unstable or have other weird problems.
What Beano said would be the best place to start. Have you still got the old machine around to plug the hdd back in? If so would be a good idea to check in that to show rule in or out some of the possible problems.

I recently had a similar problem though it was down to a stick of ram being doa, though mu bsod didn't suggest it could be hdd corruption.

Edit: @MadcatX he said he can't boot in sade mode either.

I thought you meant you transported it but I just noticed you mentioned baggage handling. How did you travel? Because baggage handling suggests to me flying. If thats the case, I don't know what baggage scans they do at airports these days wondering if one of them may have corrupted the drive.
Yeah i took a plane and i dont have the older machine with me. I was gonna take it down to a friend's house and plug it in theirs. After poking around in it in recovery console by going into the System Image option, i didnt lose any data apparently.
#7 - arco
Putting a harddrive from another computer in, and expect it to boot, is very likely not gonna happen, unless the hardware specs are almost completely the same.
Okay. I'll look around the house for a DVD drive and just install windows on my SATA and have that as the master and set the ide drives as slaves for backup and such.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Yeah it was in a Way older Asus machine. DDR, AGP, Socket 478. Now im trying to use it in a DDR3, PCI-E, AM3 machine.

install windows over top of itself. problem solved.
Okay well i got that fixed and installed it on my sata drive. But for the 2nd time (which really irritated and perplexed me at the same time) i got the unmountable boot device bsod on xp startup. First time, it erased all my data apparently because when i was reinstalling and got to the partition screen, it said my entire HDD was free. Now im guessing it did it again this time and like the first time, i can't get into windows at all in safe mode or anything :/

What could be the issue?
I'm not sure I got you right, but that sounds like a failing HDD to me. Any chance you can get it to a working computer and run a do a SMART diagnostics on it?
Yes later today. Good thing this is happening now because im still within the 30 days of purchase so i can send it back and receive a new one
You can use SpeedFan to get the SMART data from the HDD and check it online. It should tell you if there is something wrong with it.

BSOD at Windows 7 Load
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG