The online racing simulator
Internet Explorer 9 Beta
(24 posts, started )
Internet Explorer 9 Beta
Microsoft published a public IE9 beta today.

You can find a download, and all the info you need on here : http://www.beautyoftheweb.com

Some nice stuff :
  • Hardware acceleration
  • HTML 5
  • Nice new 'pinned' menu in windows 7
Example of that pinned menu in windows 7 : Image, Image2
Quote from Bose321 :Microsoft published a public IE9 beta today.

You can find a download, and all the info you need on here : http://www.beautyoftheweb.com

Some nice stuff :
  • Hardware acceleration
  • HTML 5
  • Nice new 'pinned' menu in windows 7
Example of that pinned menu in windows 7 : Image, Image2

It'll work. The jumplist thing is another "I'm Microsoft, lets make shit up" with a proprietory Meta tag.. but functionally it's a good idea. IE9 will be decent.
#3 - PoVo
I was just thinking how IE 8 is outdated, and now this comes up. I'll probably check it out later
just doesnt look right :hide:
Doesn't run on XP.

I suppose now is the time to hire a junior to do cross-browser testing and concentrate 100% on server side. **** Microsoft.
#6 - majod
tried and liked it, perhaps first usable IE
#7 - 5haz
It'll have to be a bloody big step forward from 8, which was a crash-a-minute and slower than an opiated Sloth at the best of times.

Only just dawned on me XP is 9 years old now.
Anybody tried to run a peacekeeper benchmark on it? I wonder if they were able to get it at least on par with Firefox...
The problem with IE for me is that hackers have had about 20 years to f*** every one of its holes.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Doesn't run on XP.

I suppose now is the time to hire a junior to do cross-browser testing and concentrate 100% on server side. **** Microsoft.

I have been testing the IE9 Platform for a while.....

... and since the beginning microsoft has repeatedly said "Internet Explorer 9 WILL NOT run on windows XP." ....

... They want people to upgrade to Windows 7 - to get them off XP.

Edit:

I dont serve IE6 tested pages whatsoever anymore. Via PHP: If you are running IE6 - you are Either going to Upgrade, Switch Browser, or GTFO.

I have been deliberatly not serving IE6 since it was 6 years old 3 years ago. IE6 slows design and development of websites because it breaks too many go damned rules....

Read this:
-> http://ie6funeral.com/
-> http://www.ie6nomore.com/
-> http://www.bringdownie6.com/ <--- Emplains the reasons better than Anyone
-> http://ie6update.com/

Quote :“IE6 is the new Netscape 4. The hacks needed to support IE6 are increasingly viewed as excess freight. Like Netscape 4 in 2000, IE6 is perceived to be holding back the web.”

-- Dont use the code on ie6 Update site either ... its gay! Rather use PHP, or the Dreamweaver Javascipts that are available in MX/8/CS - CS5...

... Or implement Google Chrome Frame......
Quote from CodieMorgan :
... They want people to upgrade to Windows 7 - to get them off XP.

Well, they should have done their jobs right then. W7 is as unusable as every other bloody microsoft OS, if you're coming from the last version. You may have a point saying that we've had vista to get used to the new style, but I'll answer that you had ME to get away from 98... both (vista and millenium edition) were absolutely useless.
For me W7 will come for sure, but I'd be happy to have some control over my system until then.

Oh, the thread was about IE?! nevermind :-)

greetz

der butz
Windows 7 is great for me..
Especially since I have to remotely connect to my UNIX ,server in Atlanta, GA. As well as a local RSA Windows Server 2003... and then a Ubuntu VM on top of it.

- there is nothing wrong with Win7 except the Power Greedy Indexing Service...... and UAC... both of wich I murder upon any installation.

IE9 will never be my primary browser anyhow - I use chrome - I do alot of development relating to Googles API, and features, as well the for Chrome and ChromeOS directly.

For me - its great, but will still just be 'another testing browser' to me.'' Firefox has a bit of slack lately - even in the FF4 beta.
Quote from MadCatX :Anybody tried to run a peacekeeper benchmark on it? I wonder if they were able to get it at least on par with Firefox...

peacekeeper doesnt want to run on my IE9 beta, i dont know it is me or we should wait for next beta...
I love Windows 7 personally. And Office 2010 is great. Not sure about IE yet, but it does seem to be getting some good comments over the web (though it's hard to filter out the blind "It's IE, it must be crap" comments from the genuine "I tried it, and this aspect still isn't very good" stuff. But that's MS Haters for you).

I'll probably download it and try it, even if I ultimately stick with FF a bit longer.
I liked 2007. Took a couple of days to learn the ribbon toolbar and where everything was, but the functionality was far better, even at the level I used it.

Now, when I have to save or create 2003 or earlier files, I have to remove quite a lot of 'features'.
Quote from der butz :W7 is as unusable as every other bloody microsoft OS...

Lol wut? I enjoy using W7 much more than poking my way around Snow Leopard our office uses. The Win7 window management is lovely with big screens.
#18 - arco
Tabs besides the adress bar? No thanks.
Quote from spankmeyer :Lol wut? I enjoy using W7 much more than poking my way around Snow Leopard our office uses. The Win7 window management is lovely with big screens.

It's hilarious, because on big screens I hate windows 7. Maximizing every window is not an efficient use of space. Trying to do the OSX way of tiling and stacking windows on each other just doesn't work either. It's kind of a pain in the ass.

Regards to IE9: As a web developer, it gives hope that Microsoft can produce a decent browser.
IE9 looks pretty good so far. It performs ok in benchmarks, which is like a A grade for Microsoft. I like the looks (more than Chrome, though it's quite similar).

Regarding W7, I really get the feeling some people are just bashing on it because it's a Windows product. As Codie said, once you disable a few things, it's a great OS to work on. Apart from lack of computer requirements, I really don't see why somebody wouldn't upgrade from XP.
a lot of people don't know how to 'disable a few things'
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It's hilarious, because on big screens I hate windows 7. Maximizing every window is not an efficient use of space. Trying to do the OSX way of tiling and stacking windows on each other just doesn't work either. It's kind of a pain in the ass.

Regards to IE9: As a web developer, it gives hope that Microsoft can produce a decent browser.

Ah but here's the thing. I love the simple, quick and robust 'throw window on left, throw window on right' and now I have two big and full views of, for instance Lightroom and Photoshop and I don't have to alt-tab constantly between them or Expose my way around stupid amount of windows.

And Spaces is a waste of space. I have screen estate enough for full UI views of two applications.
I use Spaces mostly to divy up my mind. IM apps on 1 "screen".. my movie for the day on another... Heck, right now I'm looking at 2 laptops, 3 screens. It's wicked

Meh, everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose. Whatever works for you, however I must bring up the point that you'd also prefer to drink vodka and sauna.. which slightly hinders your opinions validity
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I use Spaces mostly to divy up my mind. IM apps on 1 "screen".. my movie for the day on another... Heck, right now I'm looking at 2 laptops, 3 screens. It's wicked

Meh, everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose. Whatever works for you, however I must bring up the point that you'd also prefer to drink vodka and sauna.. which slightly hinders your opinions validity

Slander!

Just tonight I hit the Jäger bottle at work and no sauna in sight.

Internet Explorer 9 Beta
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG