The online racing simulator
"generally" style autocross
(13 posts, started )
well, i know ian will post a +1 in here lol, for any of you that dont know what generally is, just .. visit here
anyways, for this topic, alot of people complain about how autocross works and its such a small area... etc. Generally has an exceptional way of pushing that problem out of the way by giving endless possibilities with their simple, yet extremely effective track editor, how it works is you can make your own track, but there is a small (is it a .gif? someone will have to remind me, its been so long since i messed with generally) image file that uses a bump map technique to produce hills dips, valleys.. .. and once again etc.

i was curious how many people felt about this, because by doing this, there would be endless possibilites with tracks using the autocross modifier once it is "fixed" and doesnt shatter FPS's anymore

just think, an autocross editor that you can put hills and dips and whatnot into an autocross file, all of which wont take much more space than an autocross does now with roughly 500kb per autocross area with the track itself and the coincident "bump" image file

any... ideas?
1 64X64 bmp for the Hmap (Height Map)
1 512X512 bmp for the Lmap (Land Map/Track Drawings and stuff)

Those are the 2 Generally files that are used, along with the track editor to create tracks.
#3 - Ndrew
hehe, generally, what a nice days)
ofcourse +1 from me, me but it (also) would require more object to be placeable (mostly curbs, that was mentioned billion times). So in this case it isn't enough from Eric to add some predefined or adjustable curbs, those could be bended in each direction. But hellyeah, would be really nice
exactly what ive been wanting for the longest time.
/noobish question

how to genarate a 64² bmp for editing via track editor? (or will it just be one colour? atm i save the layout?)
since i didn't found any elevation tools

or give an example please since i never used it...
want built some scattered noise elevations to test some off-road setups...

regards
#6 - JJ72
great idea, just need much higher resolution though.
Quote from micha1980de :/noobish question

how to genarate a 64² bmp for editing via track editor? (or will it just be one colour? atm i save the layout?)
since i didn't found any elevation tools

or give an example please since i never used it...
want built some scattered noise elevations to test some off-road setups...

regards

1) it must be a 64x64 GREYSCALE bmp
2) See #1..

GR Hmaps are the most challenging to do, sometimes I wish that hannu would make HMAP be 512 also, so then its a matter of making a low opacity lmap layer and editing below to see exactly where the Hmap will rise/lower.

A simple way to generate it would be to go into the GR TM, and export a blank one. For this lets pretend that the limits are -255 and +255. the middle flat ground is a neutral colour between Black and white (#808080 for you hex people) and would be represented by 0. +255 (max height) would be represented by pure white (#FFFFFF) , and -255 (max depth) would be black (#000000)

Sorry for that seemingly meaning-less banter at the end, but I was just trying to make it clearer for unsure people.
#8 - ajp71
Well it's a nice idea but it's just not going to work as far as I can see.

1. It's not just going to happen when Scawen pushes a button, wait for S3/proper tracks (if LFS ever has them and I kind of hope not).

2. The height map would have to be huge to get any sort of detail and remove the bumps.

3. It would mean a lot of really crap layouts that could degrade the online experience.

IMO a larger autocross area, maybe with a hill at one end would be the soloution to making great Autocross layouts. There is some fun racing to be had with the MRT on these layouts and even in the FOX. There was a 20 car MRT server on an Autocross layout the other day and it was great fun.

By adding more checkpoints the amount of barriers used could be reduced and therefore the FPS hits that some people get running these layouts.
the general idea came to me.
what i'm unsusre about is where to put my 64² grey-noised bmp to be applied to the autocross (the rectangle one, or the L-one, i guess the rect one since the bmp is square).

regards
You can't, if you realize, this is an idea, in the improvement section of the forum.
#11 - Gunn
Quote from ajp71 :
By adding more checkpoints the amount of barriers used could be reduced and therefore the FPS hits that some people get running these layouts.

I'd also like to see the number of movable objects reduced to save FPS. Perhaps if some objects could become immovable once placed this could go towards improving things in this area?
Ohh man, I've been playing generally for YEARS. I wish we had an editor just as simple. I also wish GR had an online feature.
it is? ...IT IS!
:doh:

well. it sounded all so distinctive and someone even talked about the low 64² res and how better it would be when it's 512²...
sounds like some april-scherz to me...

sorry for annoying...

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG