The online racing simulator
Xbox Steering wheel help
(21 posts, started )
Xbox Steering wheel help
I've dug out my steering wheel (coated in dust i might add ) got the XBCD drivers and pluged it to me PC.

Stearing is fine (although the range aint to good) all the buttons and paddles are fine, rumble works fine etc etc but the brake and throttle pedals are being seen as a button and have a 0% or 100% input. The same goes for the L and R triggers on the controler. On the Xbox their both fine (as everyone with an xbox knows) but not on PC.

Is their another driver i can use? Or one specific for wheels?

I really wana get this up and going incase i dont get the DFP im going for.

Any help aprishiated.

David.

EDIT: Helps if i say what it is

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Xboxgbv61r8bxwfyu6hq/
there is a little programme called DXTweaks (think thats it's name), that might help you get it sorted. Give me a couple of mins and i'll see if i can find it for you.

[edit] Ok, that took a bit longer than expected (Yahoo is shit).
Try this page, http://www.wingmanteam.com/lat ... adgets.htm#DX%20Tweak%202 there's a lot of really useful stuff here. It's not all for Logitech stuff either, i used DXTweaks for my old Thrustmaster wheel before it blew up
Thanks dude!

I worked out how to do it in the XBCD but i'll try some of them on that site (still not perfect.)

Again, thanks
Ok, i've tried everything on that site and nothing works.

When i've calibrated the wheel (this is for steering now, nothing else) in XBCD, windows and LFS, according to them all calibrations is:

Blue being centre.
Green being the range LFS will steer (IE full lock)
Red is how far my wheel ACTUALY goes.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

it's really pissing me off because im at full lock taking a corner, when i slightly start to go straight, the game doesn't start to straighten up untill it gets into the green bit (about 3 inches)

My mate done the same as me to get his xbox wheel working (usb conveted etc) and his is fine, well not fine, perfect.

David.
Hmmm, ok, lets take this from the beginning. And dont worry about the calibration issue just yet, we can use DXTWeaks to change that.

You've got the correct driver for the Xbox-usb connector, Yeah
Windows knows it has a new controller attached, yeah ?
You've downloaded DXTweaks and it's working fine, and it looks like photo below, yeah ?
Does DXTweaks recognise your wheel ?

If we've got this far then the rest shouldnt be too difficult to sort out, dont worry
Attached images
DXTweaks.jpg
I've got the latest XBCD drivers from here.

Windows has detected the wheel, installed the drivers, it then detected a HID compliant or something device and installed it.

And it works.

I've downloaded DXTweak but looks like the screenshot below.

:/

But if i take out the wheel and run it i get told to plug in a wheel.
Attached images
untitled.JPG
Ahhh, thats a problem..........no DXT

Strange, my old wheel was a PS2 wheel with a usb adaptor, i had loads of probs calibrating it with Windows, but non with DXTweaks, infact it was the only way i could calibrate it. Perhaps it doesn't like the Xbox bit.

Leave it with me for a few hours and i'll see if i can find a way to get it sorted , by hook or by crook we'll get you driving with a wheel in time for S2(even if i have to send you my own DFP )
Quote from Mazz4200 :(even if i have to send you my own DFP )

That would be nice lol

I bided on one on ebay this afternoon with 10 seconds to go, within them 10 seconds 4 other people bid and i was £10 short. :sadbanana

I cant put into words how gutted i was.
Just a wee note. I pluged in my joypad along with the xbox wheel.

Ran DXTweak and it showed the joypad fine and loaded instantly (1st attachment) i then click next, it shows in the name bit its an xbox controler but crashes instantly. (2nd attachment)
Attached images
untitled.JPG
untitled2.JPG
Ok, i've searched, but i cant find one single reason why DXTweak won't work with this setup. It's not a problem with the Xbox side of things, so, that gets me thinking it might be a prob with either the wheel itself/the adaptor or it may even have a problem with a conflict with XBCD ?.

There is a way to connect the wheel directly to the the usb socket, but you'll need a spare usb plug and a knife
Simply splice the usb plug into the wheel cable, colour for colour, (at least it should be) then try either XBCD or DXT, a few people did this and had no problems.

[edit] just seen your above post. Thats interesting, kinda points to a wheel problem, if you fancy it try the above solution, or maybe take the back off the wheel and have a look, see if there's anything obviously wrong inside, coz it might be as simple as a loose cable or connection
Hehe, thats what i done

Had a spare USB extension cable lying around and a spare end bit (thats removable) from an old xbox controler that's fooked. This is the tutorial i used.
Right, so how's your wiring skills

If it turns out it was a dodgy solder job, i'm gonna come down there and chin ya
I got my dad to do that. He's an electonic engineer and has been for longer than i've been alive (18 years ) and then taped up each wire seperatly and then sealed it all with some more tape.

I don't see how the wiring could be the cause of this. It steers but not to its full lock. Then again i aint an electronics expert.
ahhh, then i guess it's not a wiring prob then

Actually, years ago when i got my Xbox, i was looking for a wheel for it and quite fancied that one, but all the forums said that it has a really bad problem with calibration, which says to me its got really cheap components.

It might be a problem with the internal bits of the wheel, i had a prob with the main steering pot on my old Thrustmaster, when i took the back off, i discovered it wasnt fixed properly, and the pot itself was turning when i turned the wheel, so it was kinda like the problem you're having in the XBCD setup. But that doesn't explain why DXT doesn't like it ?

Hmmm this has stumped me a bit
Yeh it's weird tbh. It's a nice wheel, worked fine on the xbox and the calibration was superb. Only think i dont like too much about it is the pedals seem to light but i've gotten used to it.

Thanks for all the help tho dude even though it seems to be a lost cause. Might pop down to me local computer shop tommorow and inquire about a DFP or at least something decent.
hey just read your full post here ive got my xbox madcatz2 wheel hooked up and works fine

the way i done mine was with xbcd and just set the pedles to sliders i dont use in lfs set a profile up so when i play diff games i dont have to re set it up all the time the steering worked out good just play with the analogsteer in game for a better steering feel also when your driving if your frame rate gets too low the wheel wont work as good
the xbox wheel works really well and i cant think of anything better to use it for as now i never play my xbox its still put to good use

hope this helps a little best i could come up with
Thats what i did to get my pedls working too.

I set them to RX+ and RY+ if i remeber correctly.

Theres no button on my wheel to change it from digital to analogue so its always in analouge. I admit the game is more fun with the wheel (but i have to re-learn my driving stlye ) but its just the rree play it has when straightening up thats the problem.

I've seen a nice wheel for £30 down the shops, not to sure on what it is, but its nice and has a nice feel to it. The man even allowed me to put lfs on a laptop he has and try it out and its spot on. No DFP's tho
Quote from RoCkBiGdAvE :Thats what i did to get my pedls working too.

I set them to RX+ and RY+ if i remeber correctly.

Theres no button on my wheel to change it from digital to analogue so its always in analouge. I admit the game is more fun with the wheel (but i have to re-learn my driving stlye ) but its just the rree play it has when straightening up thats the problem.

I've seen a nice wheel for £30 down the shops, not to sure on what it is, but its nice and has a nice feel to it. The man even allowed me to put lfs on a laptop he has and try it out and its spot on. No DFP's tho

xbox will always run as analog im sure unless ive done somthing wrong but if you go in game and click options>misc>and find analoge steer and turn it to full you should then be able to play with it till you get a setting that works.
theres also the controls area in game where you can set diff steer settings from what i know you will need to play with them a bit till its just right also if it has FF turn it on you will love the game even more i just cant imagine playing with out it now but have to admit when drifting its dose get hard to control.

with the steering wheel have you got the latest update for xbcd i think there up to 7 if i remember corectly ive emailed the developer many times about problems setting the controls up but still no hot fix for it yet.
also has it got a calibrate button on the wheel if it dose is it working corectly, if you have a xbox controller wired the same plug that in and see if it works if not then it could be your wires hooked up wrong i had this problem when i first done mine i had the wires in the wrong place and everything was backwards, if your control works well idd see if one of your mates has a wheel and try theres out could be a problem inside your wheel like a circutry board or somthing other than that theres not much eles i could think of other than,

when you spliced the cord off the xbox steering wheel did you keep the little black spliter before the conector on the cord or have you choped it back too far i know form another control i done that this part is needed i dont know what its for but the controls dont seem to work as well without them if you can post a pic of the wiring from usb to xbox wheel just to see how far up the wires you cut.

thats about all i can do for now but this dose work for me and has been for 2 yrs now.

thanks racemania
Quote from Mazz4200 :there is a little programme called DXTweaks (think thats it's name), that might help you get it sorted. Give me a couple of mins and i'll see if i can find it for you.

[edit] Ok, that took a bit longer than expected (Yahoo is shit).
Try this page, http://www.wingmanteam.com/lat ... adgets.htm#DX%20Tweak%202 there's a lot of really useful stuff here. It's not all for Logitech stuff either, i used DXTweaks for my old Thrustmaster wheel before it blew up

that wont support his wheel his is a lotus wheel not a logitec thats why theres a xbox one already made for pc games xbcd so i recomend trying that before anything else

sorry about this but i didnt have a propper look before and have now just realised that this wheel is a lotus one.

have ago at the above post of mine and ill see what i can come up with for you we will get you racing in time for that s2 license
Hehe, i got the licence :P but no wheel

Yes, the XBCD is the latest one. Right at the top of the page.

No, the wheel dont have FF which is a bit of a bastard but it is a few years old now so... and the nearest person i know who has an xbox wheel lives in New Hampshire, USA so its a bit far for me to pop round for a coffeé and ask to borrow it for a few hours.

The normal controler works fine. If the stick is half way to the left, its calibrates half way, full way etc etc.

As for wiring, you have the connector, then some black bit, then the bit that connects to the controllers wire. The wireing has be done obviously after the connector and between the blackbit. Im at college atm so i'll get a piccy up when i get home.

Also, the wheels brand is gamester or something allong them lines.
mmm ok maybe your wheel might not work on you pc due to age the madcatz one i got is analog and didigtal so i think thats why it works i also know that all wheels dont work for pc so maybe an upgrade to a better wheel might be the go i know you can get them on ebay cheap mate just got one for $12.50 au and its awsome for lfs.

other than what ive said theres not much else i can help with im not a teccy but i do understand a bit about stuff like this

ok well hope you have some luck

racemania

Xbox Steering wheel help
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG