The online racing simulator
Silverstone
(46 posts, started )
I never realised ear plugs where for girls. I dont use them.

I put it down to acclimatisation, although technically acclimatising to the noise of the F1 field on the first lap is impossible. As mentioned above I usually sit around the complex, and the noise as they belt down hanger strait a few miles away is incredible, then 30 seconds later they emerge from the bridge ... the smell, the sight, I can't recall the noise though ... I think my brain stops processing audio at this point.
heres what you do tristan.. get a VERY LOUD audio system.. and play your music.. reeeeeally loud

then get in a fight over who has the better system

oooor .. start sleeping like a "girl" with earplugs since you consider them.. dude.. wtf how can you be sexist about 2 little pieces of foam lol
Actually, we did have a music competition. Classic FM up loud. There anti-music up louder. Strauss on maximum volume - no contest, we won

They put it up loud again later and we couldn't be bothered to sink to their level (again).

Becky - just because you are female doesn't mean you are a 'girl'. FWD are girls cars, but that doesn't mean girls only have to have them, just that no self-respecting man should have (based on caveman stereotype). But I'm sure you realised the humour/irony in my '... is for girls' statements.

Edit: Classic FM isn't my usual choice of music by the way, twas just to irritate them
uhhuh.. and explain your joys of the UF1k again lol?
Because I have 'girl moments', just like people have 'blonde moments'
Well this is me back in my flat, having spent the weekend at silverstone. I will post a link to all my photos later, once I've vetted them for the photos where the camera decided to focus on the catch fence

Friday is the THE BEST day to attend. No crowds, full access (except granstands that make you further away from the action than the cheap seats), and the cars and drivers are really being tested. Didn't get down in time to see the F1 boys do thier stuff but arrived as the GP2s were warming up. As we were walking from Club to Abbey the first car went by and it was just fantastic the energy involved in even a GP2 car is incredible. We wanderd up the hill to Bridge and took a few shots before hedding further round to the complex for a few slo-mo close up shots, that haven't come out Then we headed for the F1 Village, took photos of the cars on display etc usuall stuff, sadly never got a chance to return to the Red Bull place to pick up a copy of thier newsletter but nevermind. The BMW Sauber Experience is great dispite what Tristan says. You will not get closer to an actuall F1 car and the energy when he moves from one end to the other and revs the engine is something to behold. The other niceities like the chance to try your hand at the pit stop challenge, the information and starting proceedure test (I got a reaction time of .174 to JVs .047) are less frustrating than the simulator (I came second, once you get to copse and realise that all you have to do is follow the driver aids there is little else to do). Thier cake and coffee was good and Andy is a great driver and very entertaining to watch in the Touring Car. The demonstration they give with the F3 car was more amusing as they were unable to get the clutch to bite properly so, on the attempts I saw, he moved quite a bit slower than he should have, much to the mirth of the crowd. Then we headed off to the becketts esses and the Porche guys were very loose all through that section, they sound great and move around MUCH more than the single seaters.

Sat:
Arrived early, set up on the exit of Club with a view from the exit of Stowe down through Vale and up to Abbey. The GP2 race was great, as was the Porche Supercup, the F1 guys were amusing (Kimi getting distracted by the Helicopter Display team as they flew over as he entered Vale). Sadly there was very little 'action' and even JPM, recognised as a oversteer master seemed to be keeping it neat and tidy on the wide exit of club making for some very boring viewing. The action into Vale looked good most of the time which sort of compensates. Moved round Becketts again for the Historics, I figured with little areo and lots of power there would be a lot of action but they were mostly sensible and got through most times unscathed. The sound of the historics is better than anything all weekend long, the volume of the F1 and GP2 are easily more but the growl from the late 60's and early 70's are just unmatchable. The helicopter display team were awesome. Football? Was there football on? Oh yes, you simply could not move for folk wanting to watch the football. On the exit of copse we saw that people had turned thier back on the GP2 race to look at the screen behind them!?! What the hell were they thinking?!?

Sunday:
Wind had changed and it was lots busier than Sat even though we arrived an hour earlier. The wind was now blowing from Club up to Stowe with the net result of the embankment sheltering us from the breeze that kept temperatures in check on Saturday and that the cars were now braking into Vale and into a head wind rather than with a tale wind so less chance of a lockup Anyway we got a decent spot further down the embankment than Sat (dissapointing as on Sat we could see over the catch fence, now all my shots would be through the catch fence). They changed the schedule, now the porche supercup would be on before 9, which was good because having been ther since 7 I was getting a little bored. The Porche Race was as interesting as the F1, the lead man never looked challenged and we saw no action our end of the circuit. The GP2 race was fantastic, a stunning drive from the Brits, Lewis Hamilton and Adam Carroll. (#SPOILER# Lewis, outside, Becketts, 3 cars, stunning #END SPOILER#). Then the driver parade was good, nice chance to get a shot of the drivers up close (they came really close to the exit of Club so my Mum got a few photos of her star, DC). Race was boring save for the 'experience' and I found it very difficult to find out who was doing what, also, if you DO go to a GP make sure you can positively idetify all the drivers from the side of thier helmet, some of them look VERY alike in the heat of a midday sun. Then to finish was the historics, by then most folk had left already which I though was odd as the historics are great and again I enjoyed them 'racing' more than the F1 cars. We stayed at Club to watch the historics this time and watched one burst into flames as it exited Vale, the driver parked up then jumped out, can't say I blame him.

All in, a very good weekend. Not convinced grandstand tickets are worthwhile, very sure that if I go again I won't actually watch the race but instead use that time to go see the F1 Village and maybe watch the race from inside an air-con hospitaity cafe. Very sure I want to see F1 again but on a different circuit, Monaco still appeals but Sepang, Suzuka and Spa are the top 3. If you do go next year, make sure you are circuit side no later than 7:30am if you don't have a grandstand ticket as all the best slots were taken by 7 and the rest were filling up rapidly. Definately stay till the end of the support races as when we left the traffic only took us and hour to get through. Definately park in the main car parks if you can, due to the traffic management you'll get out sooooo much sooner than anyone else. Go to the BMW Sauber Experience and get the earplugs, you WILL damage your ears otherwise, just don't use them on Friday.
#33 - JJ72
The grandstand tickets really doesn't worth the money, most grandstands are way back behind a huge run off area, the only benefit is that you can sit higher up and see more of the track. However the distance to the noise and smell of the cars is a big downside, if you have to watch the race with a binoculer it's actually not that different from watching it on TV.
#34 - joen
I bought grandstand tickets once and I'll never do it again. People seemed to insist to stand up and wave their flag everytime their favourite driver came by, forcing you to stand up as well to be able to see anything.
I much prefer to lay down on a grass hill with the other poor bastards I have much more personal space and I'm much closer to the track there.
Besides, and I don't know if this is possible at all the GP's, but on Friday you have acces to the grandstands in all areas anyway, except for the most expensive ones.
^^ The best seating at Silverstone is in the infield grandstand at the complex, convienantly placed next to the assembly area. I think it's actually the BRDC stand so you'd be pretty lucky to get in it on the F1 weekend.

Next best vantage point is the pit wall which you've got zero chance of being on during a GP weekend. Other than that the infield at Copse is good (and close to the paddock). Apart from that I've never really ventured further away because at National circuit meetings the infield of Becketts isn't great and the National straight is just like watching from the pit wall but after an annoyingly long walk The Woodcote grandstands are definatley crap and not worth bothering with.
Just watched this GP....

zzzz I think I am going to wait for 2007 and see if that is more interesting (driver & team changes)
#37 - J.B.
Quote from tristancliffe :...watch some failed racing driver do two miserable burnouts in a Sauber F1 car (Andy Priloux?)...

Err, you might want to do some research on that one. Just make sure you don't ask the German BMW works WTCC team about him.

On topic: not much to say, extremely boring race. Not sure what to do about it though. Maybe some things can be learned from GP2? More downforce from the undertray maybe?
Would hardly say Andy Priaulx is a failed driver. Seeing as he's won the WTCC and was very impressive up Shelsley Walsh in the WTCC car at the Centenary, seeing as he'd of had only 2 practice runs in the WTCC car.
I knew that would stir people up the wrong way. I know he's successful in other series, but only because he wasn't wanted/good enough (depending on your point of view) for F1.
Quote from tristancliffe :I knew that would stir people up the wrong way. I know he's successful in other series, but only because he wasn't wanted/good enough (depending on your point of view) for F1.

Interesting question, Do you think F1 is the hardest type of 4 wheeled motor sport on the planet today? Personally I think not. WRC would come above it for me, as would Ice racing and maybe the WTCC
They all have their points where skill and how hard their form of racing really is. F1 has lots of demands, as does WRC. It's tough to say I'd say. Heck even drifting requires quite a lot of skill also.

I'm not sure if there truly is a way to judge which is the hardest, but maybe by intensity? WRC is probably the least bit relaxed while driving, it is constant action and skill from a driver, and for the fact that the dangerous little narrow course is not lapped numerous times like in F1. Imagine F1 being only ONE allowed flying hotlap at each circuit, lol! (no practice, warmup, etc... just one lap, that's it)
Looking at the way he F1 boys drove compared to the GP2 I'd say that F1 is pretty easy. If you screw up on the first lap you just claim it was a 'racing incident' even if you do take out another driver with your hopeless attempt at recovery (here's looking at you Ralph - do you know what your mirrors are for?). For Alonso it was easy, his car was glued to the road he had no significant challenge and the pit stops are done by guys that train relentlessly for it. GP2 on the other hand, Lewis Hamilton fought hard to get though the pack and up to first place, when he did he was pushing hard to get a bit of a lead, he managed, but every lap looked just a little more ragged than any of the F1 boys, because he was pushing and the car is not as well stuck to the road. WRC is in another class I'm not sure the two are compareable (Open wheel single seater to modified road car). There is no question in my mind that the best of both worlds are very good but the race of champions each year has proven that the F1 guys can adapt to WRC pretty quickly, I've not seen a WRC driver adapt as quickly to F1 (Colin McRae was pretty swift in his test a while back).
Quote from yegadoyai : If you screw up on the first lap you just claim it was a 'racing incident' even if you do take out another driver with your hopeless attempt at recovery (here's looking at you Ralph - do you know what your mirrors are for?)

I think that's harsh, on this occasion I don't think it was his fault. Speed hit his back right!
If that was LFS, speed would have blamed ralf for 'turning in on him!'

I get that all the time!!

The race was very boring, but going in real life makes it worth while. When i went in 2003 i stood at copse so i didnt see any action, i saw some overtakes on the big TV tho...
Quote from yegadoyai :There is no question in my mind that the best of both worlds are very good but the race of champions each year has proven that the F1 guys can adapt to WRC pretty quickly, I've not seen a WRC driver adapt as quickly to F1 (Colin McRae was pretty swift in his test a while back).

I don't know if that race of champions is that good meter because it's just a "playful" event. And the current asphalt special stage in Stade de France is lame, too bad that they abandoned the original Gran Canaria special stage which was cool: http://www.rallyplanet.com/med ... 3/roc//large/DSC_0654.jpg Maybe they decided to change the track to give some balance for the non-rally drivers.
Anyone got a video of the first lap crash?

Silverstone
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG