The online racing simulator
Graphic glitches on race starts/join, old bug
I still occasionally get a certain bug that makes the graphics go berserk but keeps LFS running more or less. It mostly happens when I join a server with a race going on, or right at race start.

I dunno, but I think LFS is often loading new skins from the main server when it happens, maybe while converting them to dds?
Frames drop to one digit levels, things you see on my attached screenshots happen, but LFS keeps going, I can happily switch between users and views, to pits etc. But even if I shut it down and restart the application LFS re-appaers in its glitchy state. Only cure is to restart the whole PC. Today it crashed when I shut it down, hence I got some more data, but dunno if anything is helpfull

I have no mods installed.

Code for the last pic (but its just the words behind it, isn't it?):
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 6c 66 73 ure lfs
0018: 2e 65 78 65 20 30 2e 30 .exe 0.0
0020: 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 20 .0.0 in
0028: 64 33 64 38 2e 64 6c 6c d3d8.dll
0030: 20 35 2e 33 2e 32 36 30 5.3.260
0038: 30 2e 35 35 31 32 20 61 0.5512 a
0040: 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 t offset
0048: 20 30 30 30 33 34 38 65 000348e
0050: 35 0d 0a 5..

Attached images
bug again.jpg
bug again2.jpg
bug again3.jpg
bug again4.jpg
bug again5.jpg
You have snowy version of LFS.
I don't know anything about those error reports and debug info, but it certainly is something related to textures...
So, sometimes is it normal? Maybe try changing resolution, AA or texture resolution, I've seen stuff like this happen because of that. I know, it's not normal to happen because of that, but it happens.
Do you get any messages just when the game starts?

EdIt: Almost forgot, have you recently changed you GPU or installing new drivers?
no, I got this first since sometime last year, its really random. Everything works as it should, then suddenly the FPS drop, everything stutters and the sound loops, and after some moments it speeds up again and looks like it does on my pics.

I suspect it may be connected to the skin converting, as if LFS messes with its inner memory assignment for the textures or somethin. Or does temporary changes to the driver files, since only a restart solves this problem. I think the next time I get this error I try another DirectX game after closing LFS , to see if it looks the same.

the PC has been like it is now for years, but i changed drivers sometime around christmas, no effect.
Happened to me first time on Z25/26 (if I remember correctly), several times during race but also once in main menu and pits menu, except that LFS never stopped responding and I never received an error message.
Always appearance of artefacts was preceded by a temporary suspension of work GPU for about 1s.
Every attempt to minimize and maximize LFS window or end and re-launch LFS process resulted hanging hardware and only a hard reset was helpful.
Quote from ACCAkut :
I dunno, but I think LFS is often loading new skins from the main server when it happens, maybe while converting them to dds?

Once artifacts appeared to me when I was offline, but then I added new skins by hand so maybe it's a good idea.
out of curiosity, is the fan on your video card working?
-
(Heiko1) DELETED by Heiko1
I'm downloading the newest DirectX now, atm I have 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) installed. I will report if I get those glitches again.

I guess the jpeg->dds algorithm somehow uses/is part of the d3d8.dll, and may make it crash. Scawen, am I right here?
Quote from Heiko1 :It has nothing to do with graphics card.
if you watch at the error report you can se that d3d8.dll (Direct X) file crashed. so its maybe something with your DirectX driver.

problems with software/hardware can happen anywhere in the stack... when i fried a video card (playing lfs, of all things), the only errors i got were from directx... everything else was a hardlock (except for one time where it just blacked out for 5 minutes), it wouldn't even BSOD for me.
Quote from ACCAkut :I guess the jpeg->dds algorithm somehow uses/is part of the d3d8.dll, and may make it crash. Scawen, am I right here?

Track, interior and interface textures are in DDS initially.

Car skins are converted to DDS on start-up unless you use uncompressed skins.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Track, interior and interface textures are in DDS initially.

Car skins are converted to DDS on start-up unless you use uncompressed skins.

I mean the car skins which are downloaded from the master server in jpg format and then transformed in dds while on a race server. (you can see the message on left with the chat messages, skin download is in white, converting is written in yellow amIright?)
Getting this too, however in my case only the car itself won't 'load' up, so it looks all white only with very basic textures of lights. Not sure if this is the same bug though.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG