The online racing simulator
2010 IndyCar Season
(98 posts, started )
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :I'd love to see him having a go in F1 TBH. Sadly I don't think it'll ever happen. I don't even think F1 teams bother to have a look at what's going on on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Thank Bourdais for that.
Quote from Mustafur :Thank Bourdais for that.

The problem is certainly a lot older than Bourdais' move to Torro Rosso. I can't name any ex-Indy/CART driver going to F1 in the 2000s apart from Montoya and Bourdais. And it took 4 ChampCar crowns to the latter to come here. Nah, it's probably related to the fact that F1 and IndyCars are too far from each other technically speaking, and also the Indy/CART split, which made 2 weak championship instead of 1 strong one like we had in the first part of the 90s.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :The problem is certainly a lot older than Bourdais' move to Torro Rosso. I can't name any ex-Indy/CART driver going to F1 in the 2000s apart from Montoya and Bourdais. And it took 4 ChampCar crowns to the latter to come here. Nah, it's probably related to the fact that F1 and IndyCars are too far from each other technically speaking, and also the Indy/CART split, which made 2 weak championship instead of 1 strong one like we had in the first part of the 90s.

I CAN NAME ONE^^ Muhahaha... Timo Glock was Rookie of the year in ChampCar 2006 (I think) before jumping into a GP2 again and Formula 1 afterwards^^ I know its a very different story then Montoya's, Villeneuve's or Zanardi's.
Quote from TFalke55 :I CAN NAME ONE^^ Muhahaha... Timo Glock was Rookie of the year in ChampCar 2006 (I think) before jumping into a GP2 again and Formula 1 afterwards^^ I know its a very different story then Montoya's, Villeneuve's or Zanardi's.

Very different story TBH. His ChampCar results probably didn't count at all when Toyota made their decision. His GP2 crown and his past F1 experience had probably lots more impact.

Quote from hyntty :Cristiano Da Matta?

Yes, true. Forgot him.
The current IRL field is a bit better then Champ car has ever been imo.

It would atleast be worth a try.
Quote from Mustafur :The current IRL field is a bit better then Champ car has ever been imo.

It would atleast be worth a try.

I've always thought that the ChampCar field was really weak (and overrated) before ChampCar even fell. I mean ChampCar guys failing in IRL proves this:

Robert Doornbos:
3rd overall CCWS
16th overall Indycar

Graham Rahal:
6th overall CCWS
17th and 7th for two full seasons in Indy

Justin Wilson:
3rd, 2nd, and 2nd overall for his last three years in CCWS
11th and 9th overall in IRL

Oriol Servia:
2nd overall in his best CCWS season
9th overall in his best Indy season

EJ Viso hasn't done better in IndyCar than CCWS

The only driver that recently crossed over from CCWS into Indy that is successful was Will Power. But beyond him, when you analyze the CCWS and Indy field, you can see a massive difference in quality actually.

Europeans just keep mistaking IRL and CCWS as the same series. The only thing that would bring all this home is if Bourdais comes over to Indy and fails to become competitive (which seems likely)
And the main difference in why Power is soo much better then he was before is becuase he finally has a car worthy of a victory, before he had to give 200% to be in contention of one.
Quote from Mustafur :And the main difference in why Power is soo much better then he was before is becuase he finally has a car worthy of a victory, before he had to give 200% to be in contention of one.

Just shows you how crappy Team Australia was (sorry Lukey :razz

Anyways: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EkQ1n75nlI

What a *&$^ decision. Seriously, is Indycar suddenly getting too technical now? Castroneves didn't weave. He blocked coming into T1 because it's &^%$ing EDMONTON. An airport track. That runway is so wide that if you dont block you sure as hell are going to lose that position.

Castroneves turned outside to turn into the corner and Power was MILES away from him on the outside. Power even almost passed him on the outside so that tells you that Castroneves wasn't blocking or weaving.

Seriously, one of THE worst decision Indycar has ever made. PERIOD!!

On a happier note Milka Duno is going to get banned

http://bleacherreport.com/arti ... ob-if-indycar-has-its-way
Quote from lizardfolk :
Anyways: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EkQ1n75nlI

What a *&$^ decision. Seriously, is Indycar suddenly getting too technical now? Castroneves didn't weave. He blocked coming into T1 because it's &^%$ing EDMONTON. An airport track. That runway is so wide that if you dont block you sure as hell are going to lose that position.

Castroneves turned outside to turn into the corner and Power was MILES away from him on the outside. Power even almost passed him on the outside so that tells you that Castroneves wasn't blocking or weaving.

Seriously, one of THE worst decision Indycar has ever made. PERIOD!!

Yea, that decision is just silly IMO. How can you expect someone who used 30%(Castroneves) of the track width at the corner entry to have the same momentum and the same line at the exit than someone who used 100%(Dixon)? It was Power's job to anticipate the fact that trying to pass on the outside of Castroneves would automatically put his 2nd place into danger if the move would fail, considering that the next corner was a right-left chicane.

Quote :On a happier note Milka Duno is going to get banned

http://bleacherreport.com/arti ... ob-if-indycar-has-its-way

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85524

Quote :
Her probation runs through to the end of 2010, and a statement from the IRL said series officials wanted to see "immediate and substantial improvement to her driving during the remaining events on the 2010 schedule."

The statement added: "Substantial improvement is defined as consistently meeting the performance standards set by the league on a particular circuit. On road and street courses this is measured in terms of time (107 per cent of lead car), and on ovals it is measured in terms of speed (10 mph of the lead car). In addition to time and speed, other requirements include car control/placement and interaction with other cars on track."

This is not being harsh enough IMO. Being 107% of the lead car means being 7 seconds off the pace for a track with 1 minutes 40 seconds laps. This also means being lapped by lap 14. This is absoluetly huge for a series where all cars are the same. And AFAIK it is rather close to Milka's standards so far, isn't it? So there's still a chance for her to stay there in 2011 if she finds the few tenths of a second she needs to be in the 107%.

Having this kind of drivers is quite a shame for a championship that is supposed to be the pinacle of USA's Single Seaters series. Seriously, I have absolutely no idea how many racing car drivers would do better than Milka - thousands, ten of thousands, if not more...
Her tits are just too big to race a Dallara
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85578

Quote :"The rules are clear on it. In every drivers' meeting we talk about it. On road courses we divide the track physically in half, and from the braking point to entry they're told you can only be on the inside half if you're attempting to overtake someone.

"If you're on the inside half while someone is trying to overtake you, it's blocking.
Unfortunately... I know they're competitive guys and it was late in the race, but it really wasn't a difficult call to make.

I must say I am a little lost for words at the stupidity of the IRL officials.
They should make a rule like that in F1 as well. Would generate a lot more passes.

EDIT: I actually just watched the video. WTF? There wasn't even a crash. I thought there was a crash but a penalty for good defending?
Quote from boothy :http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85578

I must say I am a little lost for words at the stupidity of the IRL officials.

Yea, this is probably one of the weirdest rule either I've seen in motorsports. Cmon, they're not cruising on an highway, why shouldn't they be allowed to defend their position? IMO it's just an artifice to make more overtaking manoevers, but the public wants real racing, not fake traffic style passes... Otherwise everyone would be sitting on the top of highway bridges instead of going to racing tracks.

Just noticed something also... If we take this rule litterally, overtaking on the outside is forbidden, since you have to keep yourself on the inside half of the track while making a pass. So Power should've been penalised aswell... And Dixon aswell, since he wasn't on the inside half of the track while passing Power That rule is so dumb that if you take it litterally, you'd have to penalise almost everyone at Edmonton, because of the track width
Quote :This ruling, if strictly enforced will now mean that no driver can ever set himself up in advance to clip an apex again, if he has a driver in close proximity behind him, to do so will be considered blocking. If we are to take this logic to its full and proper conclusion, every time there is a restart on a road or street course we should now expect to see 15-20 cars pulled in for drive-though penalties, right?

http://www.popoffvalve.com/201 ... king-the-r-out-of-the-irl

Says it all tbh. Ridiculous.
#94 - 5haz
Jesus I just read up about this, just when you think FIA or FIFA officials are inept, IndyCar have taken it to a new level.
Top bloke. If you think that being F1 World Champion should also be about being an ambassador for the sport then there's only one winner this year.
#97 - JCTK
Quote from 5haz :Jesus I just read up about this, just when you think FIA or FIFA officials are inept, IndyCar have taken it to a new level.

they're Americans after all...

not moving over when someone is faster is not allowed, while wrecking into someone is ok...

2010 IndyCar Season
(98 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG