The online racing simulator
Tour De France
(35 posts, started )
Tour De France
Do you spanish people feel proud now !????
#2 - 5haz
Yeah I do

...To be honest its tough luck for Schleck, in other forms of racing if your car/bike/etc breaks you can't expect everyone to wait for you, so why in cycling?
Quote from 5haz :Yeah I do

...To be honest its tough luck for Schleck, in other forms of racing if your car/bike/etc breaks you can't expect everyone to wait for you, so why in cycling?

You are no Spanish people
The crowd BUUUUUUHED Contador, when he stoled the yellow jersey - I want to now if the spanish people feel proud of that !
#4 - 5haz
He didnt steal it, he won it through luck.

What is wrong with people these days that can't accept that somebody has to lose? :rolleyes:

I'd say pretty soon there will be more English people in Southern Spain than Spanish people anyway.
Quote from alland44 :Do you spanish people feel proud now !????

I think people are overreacting with which happened today.

My opinion?

It was the last stint of the stage, it's not like you are starting an attack in the middle.

Samuel and Menchov are 3rd and 4th respectively, and there's a tour going on.

Vinokurov started the attack, and Contador followed, then Andy broke his chain. Bad luck, it's not like there was a great one to one fight going on when it happened.

Well, Armstrong says it was a bad move, Bruyneel says Contador did correctly. We can have different opinions, but I don't see the "OMFG-did-you-see-what-that-dirty-bastard-did?" situation people are discussing about in the media.

BTW, the same discussion is happening here in Spain, and there are dirferent opinions, it's not like we all are laughging at Andy or something like that.

Quote from 5haz :He didnt steal it, he won it through luck.

What is wrong with people these days that can't accept that somebody has to lose?

I'd say pretty soon there will be more English people in Southern Spain than Spanish people anyway.

LOL, at least in summer, you can bet!
#6 - 5haz
Quote from Eldanor :LOL, at least in summer, you can bet!

Yeah, we stopped going because every year it seemed to get more and more like my hometown, which is a shame because its a lovely country really.
Quote from 5haz :Yeah, we stopped going because every year it seemed to get more and more like my hometown, which is a shame because its a lovely country really.

And you're all welcome

There are still places which are not overcrowded, but not in the mediterranean coast , you should try some mountain rivers, cheaper, more "authentic", better food, same sun, and water is not full of salt
The fact that Contador did attack when Schleck had that "malfunction" is fine. It's a sport and he wants to win. It would have been a wasted opportunity if he didn't attack.

However, he apparently stated in an interview after the stage that he didn't see that Schleck had problems. This is just ridiculous as he was passing him while he was slowing down. Why not just admit it? Everybody knows fully well that he did see it.

But Schleck is also partly to blame because of his riding yesterday, IMO. That was some stupid tactic there. He should have attacked Contador instead of sitting behind him all the time and almost coming to a standstill and letting Menchov and Sanchez escape especially seeing that those two should normally gain quite some time on him in the time trial. He might still have the yellow jersey now if he did.

Thursday will be the deciding day, IMO. Tomorrow's stage is just stupid. I wonder what the organizers thought. I can't see anyone of the top riders attacking when the last mountain is 60 km from the finish.
I felt so sad for Andy today... i want him to win, he deserves that yellow jersey more than Contador...
Whats up with tour de france?
Quote from Eldanor :I think people are overreacting with which happened today.

My opinion?

It was the last stint of the stage, it's not like you are starting an attack in the middle.

Samuel and Menchov are 3rd and 4th respectively, and there's a tour going on.

Vinokurov started the attack, and Contador followed, then Andy broke his chain. Bad luck, it's not like there was a great one to one fight going on when it happened.

Well, Armstrong says it was a bad move, Bruyneel says Contador did correctly. We can have different opinions, but I don't see the "OMFG-did-you-see-what-that-dirty-bastard-did?" situation people are discussing about in the media.

BTW, the same discussion is happening here in Spain, and there are dirferent opinions, it's not like we all are laughging at Andy or something like that.

LOL, at least in summer, you can bet!

Pssst !

Andy started, and Vino was the only one who could "answer".

Then the chain feel off, and then Contador attacked.

No honour in that !!!!
On Camera when i was watching i saw Andy attack, Contador slow to react trys to come up Andy slows down, Contador keeps going he didnt really attack tbh he didnt suddenly gain speed he just kept at the speed he was going he later attacked further up the slops with Sanchez and Menchov.

Thats racing really, these arent the days of Armstrong and Ullrich when they would have waited let alot maybe Contador though Andy cracked and was making the most of it? Is it only a big deal cause its for the Yellow jersey?

What about Nick roach he had a puncture and no one waited for him? Why did he get a short end of the stick just because he might not win? What about when Cadel...cracked (in more ways then one) you didnt see them waiting just cause his in the yellow jersey. Or Chavenel on the cobbles when he had 2 bike changes 3 wheel changes ect. No one waited for him and he lost the jersey but no one seems to be up in arms about it?

People just need to man up and move on, if anything is going to happen it will be on the col du tourmalet both times they go up it so just wait and see.
I'm with Contador on this one. He already waited for an age back in Spa for Andy, if he hadn't the tour would be over already.

AS started the attack and put a good few metres into AC before he had his chain malfunction, for me AC had every right to push on and take every advantage of the situation, otherwise where do you draw the line?

As they mentioned on the coverage, riders can choose to use a chain guard (extra 50g or so) to prevent such issues but AS did not. You can therefore argue it was a calculated gamble which did not pay off, unluckily for him.

However, what a brilliant and ballsy ride by AS to minimise the loss on the day. Its great to see someone who may be able to live with AC in the big hills, even without his brother and team-mate. Maybe next year, after improving his TT a bit, AS will be in position to ride into Paris in the yellow.

Really looking forward to tomorrows stage, might have to take the day off works for that

And wtf with Renshaws DQ, bit harsh in my books (although I am no expert) but no surprise given the stewards seem to have it in for Cav.
This is stupid, thats what it is.

Blaming someone for pushing on when his main rival has a problem?

So uhm, how come no one "boo-d" Mclaren when they took RedBull's misfortunes? Or Ferrari back in Bahrain?

I cant believe people are even calling this a "controversy".
And why was Schleck even in yellow? Of course, because Contador had a puncture on the cobbles and Saxo Bank upped the pace, hence the 40 secs advantage Schleck had
Quote from HVS5b :Really looking forward to tomorrows stage, might have to take the day off works for that

Don't!!

There is no stage tomorrow, it's on Thursday.

But that one should be good. Schleck has to attack if he wants to win the tour.
Quote from zeugnimod :Don't!!

There is no stage tomorrow, it's on Thursday.

But that one should be good. Schleck has to attack if he wants to win the tour.

Haha, good call

Then again two days in a row might look more "authentic" ...
Thats how it is in cycling. If your rival has a problem, don't give them a chance to get back, you make the most of an opportunity. This situation is transferable to many other things, and a few examples have been posted already. It's hardly a controversy.

The thing I don't like about modern cycling is the team radio. Its better when riders don't know if the breakaway is 15 minutes ahead with 2km left, or that they're being reeled in, 30 seconds round the next bend, 40km from the start. I'd really like to see a tour with no radios one year, but I doubt that'll happen. Sure, there are day stages, but most riders huffed IIRC.

But its still the hardest race out there, one of the hardest sports, and thats why I love it so. If I'm lucky, look out for me in there in a few years. Its my dream goal.

Quote from HVS5b :As they mentioned on the coverage, riders can choose to use a chain guard (extra 50g or so) to prevent such issues but AS did not. You can therefore argue it was a calculated gamble which did not pay off, unluckily for him.

But the thing is, that weight gets multiplied as it spins (or so I believe) so it would become slightly harder per revolution of the peddles, not much, but over the stage, it could make all the difference.

Quote from HVS5b :...even without his brother...

I'm actually glad Frank crashed out, Andy had an annoying habit of waiting for him too much. Now there is no Frank, Andy is free to go, and we see that he does, now he doesn't feel compelled to look back for his brother.

Quote from HVS5b :And wtf with Renshaws DQ, bit harsh in my books (although I am no expert) but no surprise given the stewards seem to have it in for Cav.

The headbutting is acceptable, its a trait carried over from track cycling, because at that speed, if Dean were to catch Renshaw and they went down, the peloton would go charging into them at 50mph, and it would be catastrophic. All the good sprinters down and injured, because they would have been right behind, so to hold the line and avoid a major crash, thats the only way apart from shouting, but that doesn't really work, and if you think they can take their hands off the bars and push at that speed, Newtons Third Law will tell you differently.

Quote :III. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Plus, its harder to keep the speed up with one hand on the bar, the deceleration would possibly cause Renshaw to go down. So I see nothing wrong with the headbutt.

However, where the problem lies is Renshaw moving over on Farrar, ruining any chance. That was a predetermined thing, rather than reactions, so that might be why he got booted out. Still, everyone I've spoken to agrees it was overkill, and the UCI seem to have it in for Cav. We agreed that a relegation/fine would have been good enough, with a strict caution.

Quote from Eldanor :Well, Armstrong says it was a bad move

Of course he will, he HATES Contador

- - -

Also, I wish C. Evans would attack more. Maybe last year, when he was in better form, but he just sits and follows. Annoys me.
Quote from piggy501 :Also, I wish C. Evans would attack more. Maybe last year, when he was in better form, but he just sits and follows. Annoys me.

Isn't he riding with a broken arm?
Good point Zeug - Its a good reason now, but before it was still annoying. It's a fractured left elbow.
Quote from piggy501 : Thats how it is in cycling. If your rival has a problem, don't give them a chance to get back, you make the most of an opportunity. This situation is transferable to many other things, and a few examples have been posted already. It's hardly a controversy.

There does seem to be some unwritten rule about waiting in certain instances as we've seen already this year. Not that I agree with it, it's all part of the game surely?

Quote from piggy501 : The thing I don't like about modern cycling is the team radio.....there are day stages, but most riders huffed IIRC.

No arguements there. It would be an altogether different (and I think much better) race. The possibility does exist that, mountain stages and TT apart, every stage would be a sprint finish as no breakaways have been allowed to develop by the stronger teams? Anyway, same as you, I was seriously unimpressed by the riders/teams 'toys out the pram' approach to the idea and with their playing of the H&S card.....

Quote from piggy501 :Look out for me in there in a few years. Its my dream goal.

Good stuff, everyone should have a dream like that. The very best o' luck dude

Quote from piggy501 :
But the thing is, that weight gets multiplied as it spins (or so I believe) so it would become slightly harder per revolution of the peddles, not much, but over the stage, it could make all the difference.

Indeed, that's why I said calculated gamble. Only just found out that the chain malfunction was in fact induced by an elementary mistake by AS when changing into the big ring during his attack. Therefore there is no need for AC to defend himself, he was well within his rights to counter-attack.

Quote from piggy501 :
I'm actually glad Frank crashed out, Andy had an annoying habit of waiting for him too much. Now there is no Frank, Andy is free to go, and we see that he does, now he doesn't feel compelled to look back for his brother.

Thanks for the insight

Quote from piggy501 :
The headbutting is acceptable...

I thought so seeing as how the other rider was all over him.

Quote from piggy501 :
However, where the problem lies is Renshaw moving over on Farrar, ruining any chance. That was a predetermined thing, rather than reactions, so that might be why he got booted out. Still, everyone I've spoken to agrees it was overkill, and the UCI seem to have it in for Cav. We agreed that a relegation/fine would have been good enough, with a strict caution.

Yeh it's pretty obvious when you see it, even at race speed. Dangerous move and deserved punishment....but as you say, way OTT.

Still, it's been an eventful Tour and the clock rarely lies over 3 weeks of racing. The best man will win, and after Thursdays return to the Tourmalet we'll be a lot closer to finding out which one it is.
Quote from alland44 :nonsense

And darn it, Denmark would have gotten past the first round in the World Cup if only Japan had politely given them the ball back after fouls deep in Denmark's side.

That isn't the way it works in the sporting world. You go for the kill when your opponent makes a fundamental mistake and is down and out. Every time. I would expect nothing different from Contador.
Im more in awe at the couch cycling experts.
Just a reminder that its "A gentlemens code" to not attack when a rival has a problem nothing is written in the rules. And had Andy of had Sanchez in his group no one would really care cause he would still be in yellow.
Quote from AstroBoy :Im more in awe at the couch cycling experts.
Just a reminder that its "A gentlemens code" to not attack when a rival has a problem nothing is written in the rules. And had Andy of had Sanchez in his group no one would really care cause he would still be in yellow.

I see, but it was a problem that was AS's own damn fault. If he wants to win the Tour De France, maybe he shouldn't make his chain fall off the bike. Bad luck is a different matter.
Quote from alland44 :Do you spanish people feel proud now !????

LOL, what did you expect Contador to do, step down his bike and wait for him?

Tour De France
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG