The online racing simulator
HDRin S3 - wouldn't that be great?
I've seen it in Hl² Lostcoast and in Episode1. Far Cry had it too. I'm talking about HDR and yes I'm sure that HDR could take racing sims to a new level. I only have a 9800Pro but HDR looks great.

Why should only 3D shooters have this feature? Just imagine you're driving LfS and the sun blinds you. Would be very cool in real 24 hours races. GTR2 would offer more than just brilliant cars, sounds etc. HDR would make it more realistic when you drive 24 hour races.

What do you think? Should HDR be implemented in racing sims? My vote: yes!

We could get the most of it.

I'm curious about your comments on HDR in racing sims.
hm... for what?
to devide the framerate by 2 and it would not really improve the gameplay.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
my graphics cant even handle HDR :P thats y i cant play HL2 lost coast with HDR.....and thats pretty much the point of that little game....to show off HDR :P
I'd rather the devs spend more time on features that are actually useful and greatly improve gameplay. I mean, come now? HDR really isn't a big deal, and most people turn it off. Especially in online games. And you can't force it either because there are lots of people out there with videocards that simply can't handle HDR.
When S3 comes out, HDR will be the norm in most games, so yes, I think it will have it
#6 - ORION
When S3 is out, nobody will remember what HDR was :P
Well as I see not many peeps of you really want to use HDR. That's a bit surprising for me cos I thought everyone would enjoy more realism and HDR.

Hmm let's see if HDR will make it! I hope so cos it's good but atm. it's too heavy for some cards.

Go HDR go!

Ups, have got to go. Germany will be playing Costa Rica in a few minutes.

Germany for World Champion 2006!
-
(IReallyHateBureaucracy) DELETED by IReallyHateBureaucracy
I do not find HDR (As I have seen it done in games and some tech demos) to be that realistic. It makes the game world look like I'm watching it through a cheap digital camera with a very crappy dynamic range instead of a human eye.

A little bit of "bloom" effect can often make things look better, but the games that have it usually apply way too much of it which again looks unrealistic.
HDR can look good in places but I find a lot of game developers are really overdoing it with a lot of games of late. Bloom lighting can look almost as good for a much smaller performance hit.
Geeze, come on people, lets just assume that in a perfect world, we all have PC's which can run a game with HDR on. I vote yes. Seems a bit silly to say that if HDR was an option that you would turn it off. If we had HDR in S3, why turn it off? By then, it would be either a standard on all games in some fasion or obsolete :-) HDR is becoming the standard in alot of games. Oblivion comes to mind and that game looks sweet with it on. Didn't say my system can handle it, but I know in a year from now, I will be enjoying that title all over again. I do that everytime I upgrade my PC. I go back and play the games I couldn't run on high settings. I think LFS is the only game I can run with everything at max including AA and AF at 1600x1200 and still get over 60FPS.

I agree that some games overdo it.
HDR could be a good feature, if it would be used subtle. And not like it's been used in current games.

And Bloom just reminds me of my glasses when they are dirty
I don't even know what HDR is . Goes to show you how far I've fallen from the gaming bandwagon. I only recently (year ago) was able to play Nascar Racing 2002/03 or even NFS Porsche Unleashed (1999-2000 title?) I still can't play today's latest games even though my PC is only 4 months old. Off the shelf garbage, but price was right. It would be nice to have 2 incomes and be able to buy the good stuff.
Yes HDR should be used moderate. They could add some blurr effects like in MotoGP etc.

Ok I really like LfS but it could be a feature which everyone who doesn't like it can turn off.
hdr is the shortcut for high dynamic range.
i think THIS describes it very well, before you should read THIS
-
Sorry but the HL2 HDR is not real HDR.Its a cripled version running thru 2.0 shaders.
-
(IReallyHateBureaucracy) DELETED by IReallyHateBureaucracy
^ That would kill when you play at night, or in dark.
Need to take a on
-
#18 - joen
Like with anything it's not the technology itself that can add something to the game for better or for worse, it's how you apply the technology.
Those screens indeed look horrible, but when HDR is used correctly and not overdone (which in most cases it is not) it could look truly nice.
If LFS would get HDR i'm sure it would be applied naturally and tastefully.
I'm all for it. Graphics are not the most important aspect of a game for me, but if my machine can handle it, and I like how it looks I welcome the eye-candy.
Ofcourse there should be an option to disable it.
this simply looks to me like a little bit gammacorrection and a color overlay.
sure it looks a little better, but these are not hdr effects and i cant really see any depth of field O_o
hdr is great when done properly imho - the more realistic colour range just looks great. If the devs chose to do it they'd hardly be forced to do it all over the top crazy like...
The reason HDR looks rubbish, is because very few moniters have any near high enough contrast ratio. Apparently our eyes have a contrast ratio thousands of times bigger than most moniters.
but what helps that high range of dynamic, when your display can only show you low dynamic ranges.
i cant see any argument to include hdr in games like lfs.
it makes sense, when you hava a game, where you come from a dark room into sun light, for example. there it makes sense, but you simply dont have so high lightvalue changes on track.
my tip:
leave hdr out and put an post process effect on it, like Roadie did. (not that much, then it would be ok)
that doesnt cost much more power and you nearly and it can help making lfs looking better.
Quote from bLaCk VaMpIrE :but what helps that high range of dynamic, when your display can only show you low dynamic ranges.
i cant see any argument to include hdr in games like lfs.
it makes sense, when you hava a game, where you come from a dark room into sun light, for example. there it makes sense, but you simply dont have so high lightvalue changes on track.
my tip:
leave hdr out and put an post process effect on it, like Roadie did. (not that much, then it would be ok)
that doesnt cost much more power and you nearly and it can help making lfs looking better.

Yah, I put alot of effects on it to just show it, so people wont go "I don't see a difference"... Also I really didn't notice a performance drop, I don't think there was one.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG