The online racing simulator
Nay!
Quote from zeugnimod :Nay!

Another naysayer
Nay!

If I was running a league (as if, but you never know ) you can bet it would a DQ'able offence.

I also don't like forcing pit stops in a race any shorter than, say, 15 or 20 laps (depending on the car/track combo). Why make people stop in a race that isn't even long enough to wear out your tyres or run your fuel down? It's disruptive. I've been involved in a few close scraps in 10-15 lap races with forced pitstops, and it's very annoying to have to pit to avoid a DQ.
If a race is long enough, you'll need to pit eventually and you can choose when, according to your strategy. Forced pitting in sprints? Pointless. Nay again.
Im not for or against it, but pitting on the last lap doesnt always make a difference

Reasons against it
"unfair" advantage - loose less time
unsporting

Reasons "for" it
loose less time
its not breaking any rules

You can understand people that do it, because its an advantage and its within the rules. Whether its unsporting or not is a matter of opinion

wikipedia says
"Unsporting Behaviour can be found in many sports, but is often referred to in Soccer/Football. Some examples that may be classified of Unsporting Behaviour is :
  • Hard Fouls,
  • Holding an opponent or deliberately handling the ball for the purpose of preventing an opponent from gaining possession of the ball,
  • Faking an injury,
  • Saying things that are designed to confuse or distract an opponent,
  • Harassment (such as jumping around, shouting or making gestures to intentionally distract an opponent,
  • Jumping in front of a corner kick, free kick or throw-in,
  • Worrying the goalkeeper or trying to prevent him from putting the ball into play,
  • Blatant cases of holding and pulling an opposing player or his uniform,
  • Any action designed to deceive the Referee,
  • Behavior which in the Referee's judgment is unsporting or causes an unfair advantage."
And how often do you see the above in a match ...

I dont think pitting on the last lap is unsporting, just making use of a "grey" area in the rules, which is something you see a lot of in F1 tbh
#30 - Gunn
Last lap pitting should not be possible. It destroys the whole idea of a compulsory pit stop adding a strategic element to the race.
^ Indeed. Why force pitstops at all if you can just do it on the last lap and minimise your lost time? May as well tell the whole field to pit on the last lap in that case...

It may be legal and may only be people taking advantage of a grey area, like people do in F1 all the time, but it doesn't excuse it or make it legit IMO. We in LFS have the choice not to act like F1 rockstars and do whatever we want to win a race. I think most LFS'ers race for fun and not for points, so winning in this fashion is a hollow victory.

Another sporting parallel: in the late 70s there was a famous (now infamous) cricket match between Australia & New Zealand. NZ needed 6 runs to win (or draw, can't remember) from the last ball of the game. To prevent NZ from being able to hit that 6, Oz bowler Trevor Chappell rolled the ball underarm along the ground, preventing the NZ batsman from scoring and secured victory for Australia. Since there was nothing in the rules preventing Chappell from rolling the ball along the pitch, the ball was judged legal and the victory stood. However, the disgust over this victory was so great, from both the Australian and New Zealand public, media and even politicians, that the rules about bowling were amended to ban underarm bowling in future and Trevor Chappell's career was pretty much over. He still gets abused in the street for that ball. If something's legal it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

I hope a pit-window is available to admins in the near future :up:
Quote from MAGGOT :Anyone remember a few years back when schumi got black flagged? The rules stated you could do 3 laps I believe it was after getting the flag before you were disqualified. It just so happens that the third lap was the last lap, and schumi's pitbox was across the finish line, so, at the end of the last lap schumi entered the pits, crossing the line before he got to his pit stall and winning the race.

Technically speaking, what he did was perfectly legal, but pissed a lot of people off. Just one more thing to add to his record of bad sportsmanship. (not that he hasn't been a good sport at times aswell, though)

This comes up almost every time pitstops are talked about. I'm curious as I'm not an F1 fan. What was the black flag? A drive through? A stop-and-go? How could he win just because his pitbox was after the finish line? He did it on the last lap, sure, but he didn't do the penalty. There is no way he could completely drive through, or do a stop-and-go if he crossed the line before completing this process! That is just horrible officiating of a race if they allowed him a win from that. He should have been disqualified because he did not honor the penalty before the race ended for him illepall .
1998 British GP

Quote from www.grandprix.com :Schumacher pulled away and then received a signal to indicate that he had been given a penalty for overtaking under yellow flags (which prohibit such manoeuvres) during the Safety Car period. The issuing of the penalty, coming so late in the day, was bungled by the stewards and the Ferrari tacticians took advantage of this by ignoring the order and bringing Michael in on the last lap. He therefore won the race in the pit lane when he was coming in for the penalty, which could not now be carried out since the race was over. It was thus impossible for the stewards to take away the win. The stewards had to withdraw the penalty and they later handed in their licences.

The Fake DTM series has two mandatory pitstops and a written rule against pitting on the last lap. This has proven to be both fun and challengeing, and adds a lot to the over all race. You have to have some strategy when to pit, what to do in the pits and you also have to be good at pitting to stand a chance to make it to the podium.
I think no one in the series think it's odd or boring to have it like this, and franlkly, I think a lot would be lost if the mandatory pitstops wheretaken away.
Quote from Gunn :Last lap pitting should not be possible. It destroys the whole idea of a compulsory pit stop adding a strategic element to the race.

I agree completely, but on the other hand i dont think there should be REQUIRED pit stops in any race. If you force a pit stop in a 10lap race, that's not really "strategy", since everyone will just pit once, and things even out. Pitting should be used to gain what you think is a strategical advantage, not just pitting cuz the server admin says so.

Pitting on the last lap is pretty lame/sad. I mean, this is just a video game. I enjoy fun/close racing, winning is nice, but i'd rather lose and have a fun race, than win in the pitlane
#36 - Gunn
Quote from travbrad :I agree completely, but on the other hand i dont think there should be REQUIRED pit stops in any race. If you force a pit stop in a 10lap race, that's not really "strategy", since everyone will just pit once, and things even out. Pitting should be used to gain what you think is a strategical advantage, not just pitting cuz the server admin says so.

Compulsory pitstop races exist in real life and these rules are usually put in place to deliberately provide variety by adding a strategic element. So in some racing you will see pitstops required and there may even be a defined pit window where you can only pit between lap x and y.

So it has it's uses in some areas.
Complulsory stops are featured in V8 Supercar races and it certainly spices things up in the strategy department, so I've no objection to them in principle. It's exciting to see at which point in the pit window the drivers are pitting and gives you a good look at their plan for the whole race.

I just don't see why people implement forced stops in short sprints on public LFS servers. 10 laps is barely long enough to warm your tyres in some cars
I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to impliment a pit window to solve the problem of last lap pitters. i.e. pit stops only count between laps 2 and 10 in a 12 lap race (or something).

As for the debate on whether compulsary pit stops add anthing good to LFS, for me it depends on what mood I'm in. Sometimes I like the extra strategy it brings, and sometimes I can't be arsed.
Put me down for a big NO on pitting on last lap
The thing with shortish (sub 15 lap) mandatory pits races is that if I damage my car on lap 1, I come in then to get it sorted.

But here's a thought: don't have mandatory pits on distances that wouldn't have pit stops IRL .
Yet again i'm going to reply to a thread without reading it properly, flame me if you like, but here's my view on the original subject (on the remote possibility this thread has stayed on topic)

Quote :How do you guys feel about it, do you think it should be allowed, or do you think it should be illegal, with a death sentence on it?

I would rather than pitting on the last lap did not negate the mandatory stop, however whilst it is possible to do this I will continue to pit on the last lap and gain advantage, because either someone else will and i'll loose out - or i'll gain an advantage over somebody because they didn't. It's as simple as that, I dont like it - but i'll push the rule whilst it is there to be pushed.

Show me one real racer who doesn't take a free get out of jail card like that, and i'll show you a back marker.
I said it once in another thread but perhaps instead of just enabling a Mandatory pit stop, the devs could create an accelerated fuel/tire wear rate system that could be enabled. That option is available in NR2003 and rFactor, to name 2.

With the cars burning fuel faster and wearing out tires quicker, drivers would actually have to pit for fresh tires and fuel rather than just sit there for a split second. And strategies would always be different based on how well a driver conserves fuel and preserves tires and not be a foregone conclusion like now with last-lap pitting.
Quote from Becky Rose :Yet again i'm going to reply to a thread without reading it properly, flame me if you like, but here's my view on the original subject (on the remote possibility this thread has stayed on topic)

I would rather than pitting on the last lap did not negate the mandatory stop, however whilst it is possible to do this I will continue to pit on the last lap and gain advantage, because either someone else will and i'll loose out - or i'll gain an advantage over somebody because they didn't. It's as simple as that, I dont like it - but i'll push the rule whilst it is there to be pushed.

Show me one real racer who doesn't take a free get out of jail card like that, and i'll show you a back marker.

That's because you are still in the mid pace field of racing, instead of the front runners .
Quote :That's because you are still in the mid pace field of racing, instead of the front runners

You have a choice: Move up the order by 15 seconds, or stay where you are. There is no penalty or other factors involved in the decision, which do you take?

Quote :the devs could create an accelerated fuel/tire wear rate system that could be enabled.

In other games that have this I have always enjoyed the feature, I like having strategy in a race, but dont necessarily want to race for 90 minutes to have it as a part of the race.

EDIT: @Dave - i'm not sure if you've won enough real life championships to call me a midfielder ...
we should have windowed pitting

or mybee the pit doesn't count until you cross the first sector marker

LL pitting is wrong and anybody who does it are cheating fecktards.
#46 - Gunn
Quote from Becky Rose :

Nonsense.

*edit: sorry if I sound a bit harsh
Why pit on the last lap when you can pit on the first? You'd just catch up to, if not pass, all of the guys that pit on last lap anyways.

Seriously though, there's not really any point to doing it that way, those who pit in the middle though, those are the guys that can win the race, as they'll have brand new tires and no more damage, where as the people who try to take advantage have worn tires, or beat up cars. Just trying to use logic here I guess, but I don't know if my English is good enough to convey this correctly.
#48 - Gunn
Plenty of racers win without taking advantage of these things . I saw lots of wins from people not taking advantage of the old aero bugs too. Compulsory pits stops are there for a reason it isn't just something you should have to do as an inconvenience.
How many of you are still stuck doing 5-10 lap races? Compulsory pits stops in the context of appropriate race distances are a great feature. +++++++1 for no pitting on last lap.
Quote from Hatemaker :Why pit on the last lap when you can pit on the first? You'd just catch up to, if not pass, all of the guys that pit on last lap anyways.

Seriously though, there's not really any point to doing it that way, those who pit in the middle though, those are the guys that can win the race, as they'll have brand new tires and no more damage, where as the people who try to take advantage have worn tires, or beat up cars. Just trying to use logic here I guess, but I don't know if my English is good enough to convey this correctly.

you only have to do 'half' a pit stop when you do it on the last lap,

you don't need to drive the pit lane exit for one of your 'race laps'
Quote from Becky Rose :

Finally, someone that makes sense

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG