The online racing simulator
Convert dynamic disk to basic
(18 posts, started )
So, I got a new Samsung F3, which I want to use for Windows, Games and some TV Series.

I now got it at 200/350/381,51GB in the order above. But I have made a little overview, and I had 220GB in mind for the OS, so I took away 20GB from the 3rd partition, and thought to stick it to the 200GB part, but I didn't read what windows said, and now resulting in a dynamic disk.

My question is, how can I make the disk basic again without, you'll guess it, losing any data (because there is already like 500GB together on the 3 partitions (not the 200GB one for OS), and I do not want to lose that. Any program that works safe with Win7 64-bit, that will convert it to a basic disk without losing my data? I tried 'Dynamic Disk Converter', but the trial won't let you do this...

Thanks in advance,

Bose

Edit: Fixed it with Easeus Partition Manager. I hope I can extend that 200GB with that too.

Edit2: Easeuse partition manger (server edition) is now doing some pre-boot stuff moving my data. It displays something about the cluster size. It has set it to 4 KB. Is this normal for a samsung f3?
Quote from Bose321 :Edit2: Easeuse partition manger (server edition) is now doing some pre-boot stuff moving my data. It displays something about the cluster size. It has set it to 4 KB. Is this normal for a samsung f3?

i was going to tell you to clone the disk's contents and repartition, but it seems you've found something.

with regards to cluster size, it usually depends on the filesystem size and the average file size. 4K clusters is the default if i'm not mistaken.
Yeah, everything has worked out good. The other F3 also used 4KB. I just thought it all would be massively faster with booting, but it takes like 50 seconds before I get to see my desktop, which is quite slow isn't it?
probably not. that's windows for you.
50 secs? It IS slow... Especially if you have "V12 under the hood".
I get desktop in 10-15secs with Athlon 2,66 dual and 2GB RAM. I can do whatever I want in additional 5-10secs.
So, 10 seconds after you press the button from your computer, it goes through BIOS, then loads Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and you're ready to go? I believe even SSD's can't do that.
Quote from Bose321 :So, 10 seconds after you press the button from your computer, it goes through BIOS, then loads Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and you're ready to go? I believe even SSD's can't do that.

I'm talking about XP, but still... I saw a guy on a 2GHz (laptop) dual starting Win 7 in less than 30secs.
The PC itself is not really that important I think while booting, it's more due to the harddisk. So, after all the BIOS crap, windows starts to load, which is after 15 seconds (alot of BIOS things...), then 30 seconds later I get the "Welcome" screen, then a bit under 10 seconds I see my desktop, and like 10 seconds later all programs have started.
Quote from Bose321 :The PC itself is not really that important I think while booting, it's more due to the harddisk. So, after all the BIOS crap, windows starts to load, which is after 15 seconds (alot of BIOS things...), then 30 seconds later I get the "Welcome" screen, then a bit under 10 seconds I see my desktop, and like 10 seconds later all programs have started.

IDK I was in same room in hospital with that guy and the BIOS stuff was really short, maybe 10secs, than Win loading around 10secs, welcome 10secs and desktop.
There is much more to the boot speed than just HDD and CPU. Since all the drivers are being loaded during the boot you can get some slowdowns if you happen to have a device with a nasty driver. Friend of mine gets some +5 secs to boot time just because of his TV tuner driver.
I dunno how about Vista/7, but XP also suffered a bit if you had a lot of unused ATA channels. It probed the channels for quite a long time before declaring them as empty.
Anyway, if you ask me, I think the bootup speed is no that important 'cause you usually go though the boot only few times a day
Sleep mode FTW.
I always used hibernate (so the FFUU bright LED's on the case don't blink), and that was quite fast too.

I have used 5/6 SATA ports now, and same drivers as last time, but clean vs now, it's still the same in booting time.
I always used shutdown, my PC never worked over night. And I was always happy enough with boot up time.
I didn't use hibernate for being faster, I did it so I can do whatever I was doing last night, your computer is off, it just saves what you did last time, so you can just continue, quite clever.
Until you get things such as Windows Updates etc...
Well, I'd like a mode to keep only one process active, like I put it into that mode and leave only Bittorrent running. The PC would be quiet and I would be downloading what I want...
That would be the only thing that could replace shutdown here...
If you want that, you might be interested in one of those WD external HDD's with internet on them, which can download stuff, while your computer is turned off. My brother has one of them, and it's quite clever for that.
Quote from Bose321 :If you want that, you might be interested in one of those WD external HDD's with internet on them, which can download stuff, while your computer is turned off. My brother has one of them, and it's quite clever for that.

The only problem is that me and my parents are outta money.
Over and out till morning. G'night.
easus partition manager is good
i convert the disk into dynamic disk by accident once, and windows tell me that i have to format all the data on that disk, which would kill me.
then i read some good reviews about easus partition manager, found this software quite good, and it is free.
so download it, and it really convert dynamic disk to basic without formatting the disk.

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG