The online racing simulator
Quote from aoun :Explain in detail why its terrible.. prove me wrong (not being rude.. )

1. It's ugly
2. it sounds like a fart
3. It's heavy
4. Low power
5. Rubbish power curve
6. Oversized carb
7. Over complicated
8. To get a good carb/motor combination costs thousands
9. Dull to drive
10. Rubbish to drive
11. Boring to drive
12. It's a moped engine
13. Horrible feeling with a clutch
14. Lifeless

and can go on
...do go on!
15. Clutch situation 2009 wasted thousands
16 14,000ish max revs is lameness
17. Doesn't teach real throttle contro
18. It's not a kart.. it's a leisure vehicle.

etc...
so what exactly do you people recomend, i just kinda scrolled past all the argueing

i will go to my local track and see what they race, but what should i be most looking for
Quote from logitekg25 :i will go to my local track and see what they race, but what should i be most looking for

Karting is hugely fragmented so it is literally impossible to recommend a class (there are 100s) unless we know what your local track is.
i dont even know yet
Oh, I was going to recommend some books earlier, but I forgot.

I found these quite helpful:

Top o the list is Drive to Win. Carroll Smith was probably one of the greatest men in motorsport - he left a wonderful legacy in his no nonsense books, all of which are must-reads. If I had to choose one to start me off, I'd choose this one.

Tied for second are all of the Speed Secrets books. I don't always agree with Ross Bentley, and his writing style is a bit strange at times, but there is plenty of useful advice in there. Sadly, it's mostly an advertisement for his coaching business.

Going Faster, the Skip Barber curriculum is probably also worth a look, though I've not read it.

And then I always also recommend Flat Out, Flat Broke: Formula 1 the Hard Way! because, in addition to being side splittingly hilarious, it illustrates the kind of drive you're going to need to make people pay for your racing, and a bit of insight into how to woo them.

You might also check out The Karting Manual. Again I've not read it, but I've flipped through it in our pro shop and it seems fairly definitive.

You may not understand some of the things in the driving books without a decent amount of real life experience, especially Drive to Win, which is quite technical - sim racing doesn't really prepare you for the mechanical aspect very well, but it's good to get that knowledge into your head. That way you'll be able to employ it right away.
Quote from logitekg25 :i dont even know yet

Guy, you started this thread on the 9th and you still don't even know your local track, hardly a good start to your clearly epic racing career that would require masses of time, dedication, motivation, money and drive.

I have no idea how you would start, there has been lots of advice but maybe you should try going to a karting track/centre, one of those where you and your mates go to race each other and actually try it, they might even have a league or organised events.

Talk to Leprerkuan, he was going to be the next F1 champion.
well.....none of my family has been able to take me to any place for any reason let alone a race track for a race....thats even if there are any races going on near by
Quote from logitekg25 :well.....none of my family has been able to take me to any place for any reason let alone a race track for a race....thats even if there are any races going on near by

Walk, Train, Bus or maybe ask a friend if they are interested going.
Quote from logitekg25 :thats even if there are any races going on near by

tell us where you live roughly and we can advise
i have basically looked everywhere, there are no races going on in the state i am in, and the closest where there is a fair bit of racing is 2 states away, i live in massachusetts, around boston. thats in USA of corse
Let's be honest, what kind of kart to drive is the least of your problems...

If you've never been to any racing then do so, you'll learn more about karts, cars and racing by spectating and asking people stuff over the course of months/a year or more than you will asking some numpties on the internet.

You can't just say "right, I'm gonna start driving, but I've never been to a track before and don't have a clue what to do or how much things are".
Where are you located, i can help you out. No one gave you good advice so far with a few exceptions. Dont buy anything yet. First thing you need to do is find a kart track near you.

Watch a couple of races and ask around im 16 and kart. Its never too late and the number one important thing to do is get seat time. Its very important karting has a very steep learning curve and most people quit in a few years because they get fed up.

Go to your track, see which classes are the most popular and cheapest. I suggest the kt100 4 hole can class.

Check www.ekartingnews.com and look at the classifieds, browse around. What is your budget? You can get a good package with everything you need plus spares all for under 2k if you look hard

good luck!
Quote from Intrepid :You aint looked very hard http://www.f1outdoors.com/index.asp Contact them and explain what you want to do. Looks like you'll have to do Rotax as well... nevermind

It would have taken him all of 30 seconds to find that track if he tried. F1 outdoors is a premier facility. The Jetta TDI cup holds karting qualifiers there. Good place to build a reputation - people will see you, and it will lead to other opportunities. They even do cheap as chips arrive and drive (in slow karts, albeit).

Bud, if your parents are uninterested, you're basically screwed unless you can convince them or you have a really, really kind God/grandparent. It is understated how much young racing drivers rely on their parents. Try your best to get them excited about it, or find a really good paying job pronto and save your ass off (not sure exactly how old you are, less than driving age I presume, so the job bit may be hard).
Intrepid FTW

Edit: Uhmm if you're just starting, Rotax is going to be a steep learning curve. just putting it out there.
MAJOR update on this thread, unsubscribe if you have had enough

i found a place that for a small price, will get me all set up and try out karting and teach me the basics...i plan to participate in about a week. after that they basically set me up for a free race when im ready, and then im off to get my own kart.

the website is http://newenglandgokartevents.com/

but now what should i get for a kart? should i wait until what they advise for the area, and my level?

EDIT: also, the only thing i need to bring is money to pay for it, and shoes...what shoes should i bring? should i go out and buy wrestling shoes? or will my DC's do? running shoes?
Quote from logitekg25 :EDIT: also, the only thing i need to bring is money to pay for it, and shoes...what shoes should i bring? should i go out and buy wrestling shoes? or will my DC's do? running shoes?

You've never heard of karting gears?
well i know the proper shoes will be pretty expensive, and are actually racing shoes.jthose will run around $80.

i want something i either already have, or can get pretty cheap
#121 - AMB
Shoes aren't expensive to be honest, just get some Sparco ones, and gloves, neck brace is optional I think (it is here) also a rib protector is optional, I'd recommend one, I never used a neck brace, I had a few crashes though, I drove on top of my mate (seb66) but just don't touch wheels whatever you do
the program i am using gives you 'all safety gear' and im not sure if that includes shoes

so all i need is myself, and whatever isnt safety gear (and the kart :razz
i do my arrive and drive in DC's and its just terrible you get no feeling of the pedal. and i did a pro kart endurance in them
logitekg25, a great point about karting is the low low costs compared to other competitive motorsports. Karting being a real competitive sport and perhaps ALOT.. no.. a sh*t load more competitive than most motorsports, the low cost factor is great.

But you have to realise something mate, eventually you will realise that you wont be able to keep cutting costs. Sure, cutting costs on gear, spares, 2nd had parts etc is good and all, but if you want your 'racing career' to progress, your going to have to keep putting money into what they call 'a black hole'.

You may not like it, but thats the reality. Understand that you need a good satisfying budget.

I thought i could continue cutting costs. Id get to a race with new tyres, new this and that and do a great racing meet. Next race ill stick with my current tyres and cut costs in many ways. Starts turning out that the guys in first place just get new tyres. New parts. New this and that and even though your talented, your disadvantaged.

It all depends mate, if you want to compete and compete full stop, keep cutting costs. If you want first place, your going to have to spend.

...and spend... and spend... and spend..

oh and with gear. You can cut costs and get away with it. Your gear dont make your kart faster. But at the same time, when i first started, i bought el-cheapo suit, big fat cheap racing boots, uncomfortable gloves and a $100 helmet that was shocking. Oh and my rib protector was not a protector, it was more of a rag disguised and packaged as one. I think all up i spend $200-300AUD and it did the job. Eventually, my suit would suffocate me and id be better off in 4 jumpers and jeans. My boots were too fat and couldnt really feel the throttle well, i was better off with space boots. My helmet would shake so much, i could hardly see the track (i thought it was ment to be that bumpy). I would boil, overheat and be fustrated with my gear, yet again, i thought it was ment to be like that. To also add, i eventually fractured my left side ribs due to not enough protection and too much track time. I thought id buy better gear for 'style' only. I bought a $600 CRG MIR racing suit and $200 CRG MIR racing shoes, better gloves and a $800 helmet with venting 100x better. Oh, and a 350$ top end rib protector. I now keep cool, feel the pedals more, see better, and dont feel a single nudge around my ribs. I spent a shit load of money and believe it or not, it made me much quicker and made me able to focus more on my driving rather than getting thrown around. It made me much more consistent.

Good luck though!
thanks for giving me motivation to buy stuff that wont kill me

those horror stories sound...great

i dont plan to cheap out at all. the first kart i get obviously wont be very good, it will be used, and i wont expect much out of it

but for now, i am just taking part in a program that will give me al the gear, the kart, the training, and the track. but as far as i understand i need the shoes. i dont plan on going out and buying some fancy pair of shoes, incase i dont end up wanting to kart.

my choices for shoeware are basically as follows

something similar to these..

and 2 pairs of something similar to these, one pair is slightly smaller, and more worn out

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG