The online racing simulator
LFS Deinstaller marked as virus [not a bug]
Just ran an AntiVir full system scan, and it gave me a strange warning:

Quote :E:\Live For Speed Testpatch\UninstallLFS.exe
[WARNUNG] Zu wenig Speicher! Virus bzw. unerwünschtes Programm wurde nicht entfernt!

Not enough Memory! Virus respectively unwanted program has not been removed!

I added the .exe as attachment. Is that a real LFS file?

Attached images
Clipboard01.jpg
Attached files
UninstallLFS.rar - 172.4 KB - 111 views
It has a delete command so maybe because of that. But that is a real LFS file.
Which AV software do you have? Perhaps you could notify it's developers about this false alarm...
Quote from MadCatX :Which AV software do you have? Perhaps you could notify it's developers about this false alarm...

AntiVir...
If you upload your UninstallLFS.exe here we can check the hash of the file (and see if it's infected)
its in the .rar of my first post ...
#7 - VoiD
Nothing strange to report with AVG. Looks good... (both versions, yours and mine).
Well, I heard that lots of stuff like that appear with AntiVir, and similar anti-virus programs...
I think this is some issue with AntiVir, It gives me a similar error message: "Warning: Not enough memory. Could not scan the file", on both your file and mine file.
The files are maybe radioactive.
It happens a lot with UnInstallers made with NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System), with popular open source projects like MPlayer (Publisher's Description, Point 2.) stating below:

Quote from MPlayer Project :Apparently Antivirus programs tend to suspect installers/uninstaller created with NSIS. Furthermore some Antivirus programs blindly suspect all UPX´d (packed) executables of being malware. Obviously this is a stupid generalization, so please ignore those warnings!

It seems that only the inferior Anti-Virus programs have this false positive and even if it was a true positive, the installer was created at install time by the LFS installer. So any virus that did attach to it did not come from the LFS devs, but from another file infected on your computer.
thx for all the replies.

I was wondering too because I never used the "Installer" version of LFS, mine is still based on the zip I downloaded back in 2006. I didn't knew that one of the patches installed the UnInstaller to uninstall the Installer-less version

I wouldn't call Avira AntiVir inferior, is just a free private version of a commercial product. And it makes less havoc than Norton or AVG (tried both)
Bit late, but since I just noticed, I ran it through various scanners, there`s absolutely nothing showing up at all here. Must be a false positive.

Never bothered with installers here for progs or mods. Waste of time and resources when you know exactly where you want things to go in your system anyway
VirusTotal analysis here. Looks clean.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG