The online racing simulator
#126 - CSF
Alonso has a short memory... Singapore 2008... anyone? No...
Loved Alonso's engineer telling him Lewis didn't lose a position

Calimero - "It's an injustice"
something is seriously wrong. All the drivers investigated is being handed 5 seconds penalty, which isn't much. But it is just not justified.

But what the freak did FIA expect the drivers to do? Stop the freaken car just before the pit entry to ensure they comply with the time required? They were all ahead of the accident that caused the safety car, and some of them were pretty much at the pit entry when the SC board came out.

Now Alonso is 8th, Buemi ninth, Rosberg got a point, De la Rosa out of it. This is crazy!
It wasn't a scandal before these penalties, but it sure is now...
Quote from Töki (HUN) : Too bad we're living in the present.

and thats from a supporter of a team who have got extra money for being in F1 because of their history. presumably you feel ferrari shouldn't get more money than anyone else and since history doen't matter that ferrari are a less succesful team than brawn/ mercedes, mclaren or redbull, all who finished higher then ferrari last year ?
Great race from Kobayashi, we need more of that. I belive he scared the shit out of Alonso with that move, while Buemi gets his butt kicked from Torro Rossi for loosing it in the last corner...

Anyway, apart from Kamui having way better tires at the end I still think that Valencia is a very dull and boring track. No charisma. Also showed that it's pretty impossible to pass another car that has a similar speed.
Kudos to Hamilton for "outsmarting" again the FIA, Alonso, and everyone else. I bet they will tell him off and then come up with a rule so no one else can do that again.

Edited to add the quotes.
Sooo in F1 when you're the leader and behind the SC with the field bunched up. Just pass the SC and rejoin at the back of the pack. Spend 2-3 laps in traffic at the restart, get a DT, serve it, enjoy your free 50ish seconds gap.
Quote from BurnOut69 :Kudos to Hamilton for "outsmarting" again the FIA, Alonso, and everyone else. I bet they will tell him off and then come up with a rule so no one else can do that again.

Edited to add the quotes.

Outsmarting? Maybe if he would have slowed down, and legally passed the SC right before the white line leaving Alonso behind.

He had no idea what to do when he got there that's it. He certainly didn't analyse what the penalty/race situation would be. He got lucky.

Edit : outsmarting with the quotes now works better.
Quote from PhilS13 :Sooo in F1 when you're the leader and behind the SC with the field bunched up. Just pass the SC and rejoin at the back of the pack. Spend 2-3 laps in traffic at the restart, get a DT, serve it, enjoy your free 50ish seconds gap.

50ish seconds gap? did you watched the same race as everyone else did?

Vettel "passed" the safety car too.

it is ok to pass the safety car as long as it is before that safety car line which was painted on the track. Lewis thought twice about that but by the time he tried out accelerate the safety car it was too late.
1). If Lewis didn't slam on the brakes he'd be ok.
2). F1 drivers can't see out the side of the car thanks to the HANS device, so Lewis couldn't see where the safety car is, because he was beside it.
That SC thing was stupid...

1) why didn't it come out before Vettel. As he would have got stuck behind Kobayashi as well...
2) to me it looked like Hamilton was unsure what to do braked first and then changed his mind
3) it needed 13 laps to come up with a penalty

That the penalty didn't change his position is something you can't blame Hamilton for. Kobayashi managed to keep the rest behind him so the gap was there.

The SC-Situation gets signaled at start finish so the leader should have to slow down that much that the SC can come out directly in front of him...
Quote from JCTK :50ish seconds gap? did you watched the same race as everyone else did?

Vettel "passed" the safety car too.

it is ok to pass the safety car as long as it is before that safety car line which was painted on the track. Lewis thought twice about that but by the time he tried out accelerate the safety car it was too late.
1). If Lewis didn't slam on the brakes he'd be ok.
2). F1 drivers can't see out the side of the car thanks to the HANS device, so Lewis couldn't see where the safety car is, because he was beside it.

I'm saying that in non-specific, hypothetical future race. If passing the SC gives a DT and you're the leader behind it just pass. Just shows how most teams and the FIA still are complete noobs when it comes to SC
all they need to do is pass a rule thaat if the safety car comes out, the running order is frozen at the end of the previous lap and then shuffle the cars whilst they're behind the safety car to make sure everyone is in the right place.

since we don't have refueling anymore they can keep the pitlane closed till the order is established and then open it as the safety car passes the pit lane before starting the last safety lap. if you have to pit for damage before the pitlane is open then you serve a drive through under green.

sure there would be the odd looser but at least it would stop bad luck regarding who the safety car picks up altering the race result
Quote from three_jump :That SC thing was stupid...

1) why didn't it come out before Vettel. As he would have got stuck behind Kobayashi as well...
2) to me it looked like Hamilton was unsure what to do braked first and then changed his mind
3) it needed 13 laps to come up with a penalty

That the penalty didn't change his position is something you can't blame Hamilton for. Kobayashi managed to keep the rest behind him so the gap was there.

The SC-Situation gets signaled at start finish so the leader should have to slow down that much that the SC can come out directly in front of him...

or on hindsight the SC should've waited till the pack have all passed.

race control have actually been pretty damn quick in scrambling out the SC after seeing Webber flying into the air, they must have expected something far worse as the medical car was right behind the safety car too, but at that point of time Vettel and co was most probably going into the final corner or at the start/finish straight already.

the SC was on the TV screen pretty damn quick immediately after Webber's crash.
Quote from PhilS13 :I'm saying that in non-specific, hypothetical future race. If passing the SC gives a DT and you're the leader behind it just pass. Just shows how most teams and the FIA still are complete noobs when it comes to SC

I think the stewards have power to black flag a driver if the pass on SC was deliberate, there must be something in the rules to allow that to happen. And a whole host of other things could happen for "bringing the sport into disrepute".

But the one with Lewis was really very marginal, and damn that SLS is quick.
Quote from tinvek :all they need to do is pass a rule thaat if the safety car comes out, the running order is frozen at the end of the previous lap and then shuffle the cars whilst they're behind the safety car to make sure everyone is in the right place.

Agree 100% Even better. They have GPS. Field frozen as it is at the time they decide SC needs to go.
Btw, can anyone explain me the idea behind Mercedes strategy for Schumacher?

He starts on hard tires (which can nearly last the whole race, see Kobayashi), pits under SC, a lap after the whole field pitted and changes to SOFT, just to change back a few laps later. Thats just stupid...
IIRC Ted Kravitz said they'd given up and were doing a test session.
Quote from J@tko :IIRC Ted Kravitz said they'd given up and were doing a test session.

They gave up when he was on 3rd place?
Quote from three_jump :Btw, can anyone explain me the idea behind Mercedes strategy for Schumacher?

He starts on hard tires (which can nearly last the whole race, see Kobayashi), pits under SC, a lap after the whole field pitted and changes to SOFT, just to change back a few laps later. Thats just stupid...

He was ahead of Kobayashi at the time, so would have been in-between the first two and the train. That would have given him clear air and the chance to finish 10-15 sec ahead of Kobayashi. Big mistake by Brawn.

After that, it didn't really matter. They took the opportunity to change back to hard tyres to avoid the Montreal thing where he had soft tyres on for way too long.
He was held behind the SC queue at the red right, did a lap or so on softs then went to the hards again on the SC inlap - but when it was clear he wasn't going to make any places up many laps later he went back to the softs for some test running.
Quote from boothy :He was held behind the SC queue at the red right, did a lap or so on softs then went to the hards again on the SC inlap - but when it was clear he wasn't going to make any places up many laps later he went back to the softs for some test running.

He pitted on lap 15 or so to change from hard to soft... thats beyond stupid imho. He should have done the same as Kobayashi.
Also, all the guys that drove too fast in safety car conditions get a 5 sec penalty. That doesn't feel right, as they're breaking a safety rule, rather than just a sporting code (like weaving, or passing the safety car).

Maybe there were too many to punish properly, which would've have been 24 seconds (equivalent to a drive through). It does set a precendent maybe and means that it may become a tactical penalty, the gain being greater than the punishment, which is bad for sport.
Quote from three_jump :Great race from Kobayashi, we need more of that. I belive he scared the shit out of Alonso with that move, while Buemi gets his butt kicked from Torro Rossi for loosing it in the last corner...

Watching it I was saying that Kobayashi would get Alonso on the last corner....well I was nearly correct as he got Buemi on the last corner. Freaking love the guy
Schumi : "Our point of view is that as the safety car had passed the pits without having the cars lined up behind it, there should not have been a red light. There was a green light for a moment and then suddenly it went red again. We believe that this was not correct."

His point is valid. IIRC the cars flying by were not lined up behind the SC while he was at the red light.
If he's able to get out of the pits at that time he's in pretty good shape. A much better shape than 3rd behind Kobayashi.
Quote from three_jump :Btw, can anyone explain me the idea behind Mercedes strategy for Schumacher?

Looks like it's been a bad day for Mercedes, even the main safety car had a mechanical failure and they had to use the spare one :rolleyes:

Anyway, on-board video of Webber's crash:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P0R43NHK

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG