The online racing simulator
The internet browser to use
(202 posts, started )
Just adding my support as an Opera user.

Used Firefox for quite a while, still have it installed (3.5 admittedly). I like the speed dial feature and the tab previews in Opera though.

Quote from danthebangerboy :No ads on any site, ever for me, regardless of browser. Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Nice. Will try that out.
Quote from -NightFly- :12mb/s, it has became pretty much standard here (in cities at least :razz, getting a 100 mb/s connection at the end of this month

Its 12mbit/s = results in 1.5mb/s of real downloading speed. I will get the new 100mbit/s connection soo too. Cant wait lol.
Quote from danthebangerboy :No ads on any site, ever for me, regardless of browser. Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Hmm, that's interesting. I don't suppose you notice any slowdown from this?

Quote from The Moose :"Earlier this month, the search firm admitted that it had collected information people had sent over unencrypted wi-fi networks for the last three years.

Last week, Google's CEO Eric Schmidt said that there was "no, harm, no foul", in relation to the data breach.

Google said the wi-fi data collection was a "mistake" and that it had not been authorised. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10161393.stm

Thanks for that. There's no excuse for Google to have collected that information. On the other hand, if you're stupid enough to use unencrypted wireless networks... Doesn't say anything about Google Chrome transmitting any data though, so I'll stand by my point on that one.
It actually does, every key you strike into the address bar goes to Google.

Yes, it's for the live search and crap.. but it's chilling to think every URL you type gets collected.
I use Firefox and I'm happy with it so I haven't felt the need to try other browsers (besides IE) so I can't really suggest you much... I don't know why I even post here....

FF Adblock is useful. As is DownThemAll (is there such a feature in other browsers?).
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It actually does, every key you strike into the address bar goes to Google.

Yes, it's for the live search and crap.. but it's chilling to think every URL you type gets collected.

Myea. As far as i know, its only collected for autocomplete's and such quieries.
It still goes to google, and knowing them, it definitely gets tracked statistically. It'd be wasted data if it didn't.
..and since when would google ever pass up any data, offered, taken, or otherwise intercepted.

Not gonna turn this into just a google piss-ripping session tho. I just won`t use their browser for any reason.

Opera, I did use it before, but just couldn`t live with its UI. There was just something about it I found, I dunno, tacky. amateur. Something anyway. It just didn`t feel right at all. There was also far too much crap on the screen by default, and it had some long term rendering niggles that put me right off it at the time. That and it`s nasty commercial past, put me right off using it again.

IE, any version. Forget it. If you really have to use it, at least use one of the wrapper browsers around it, so they can at least plug some of the holes it has.

Firefox, I can honestly say I`ve never had one single problem with in win or linux. A massive range of addons available, seamless updating of itself and anything you add to it. I love it. Rock solid, fast and configurable. I just strip it back to one tiny little bar at the top with refresh, stop and home buttons, the menu headers, and the address bar, and that`s it.
If firefox is fast... Then a Snail is ****ing Usain Bolt.
I've been using FF since 90s, the only extension I use is AdBlock, and at work and I don't even use that and don't miss it much either. Really don't care for the extensions, just want it simple...
I've tried Opera some time ago and hated it. I tried Chrome recently and was meh, I'm just used to FF, and don't like Chrome's look and feel.

That said, I'm getting annoyed with FF 3.6. There's a thread in the Bugs-Program forum about LFS minimization and this is totally FF's fault: whoever has Vista (not sure if Win 7 is the same) can reproduce it. Just open FF and minimize it. That's it, run LFS in fullscreen mode and it will get auto switched to window mode. Restore FF or close it and everything works fine. What the heck?? And this happens with some other games, has been reported to devs as early as Jan/Feb and despite this being a fairly serious bug (interfering with other apps, wtf), nothing has been done. Another thing is that youtube videos sometimes start skipping every 10s - turned out to be related to FF saving tabs every 10s (can be modified in about:config). A developer who does periodic I/O blocking on a GUI thread playing media should be insta-fired, luckily for him/her/them it's open source... 3.6.3 has been crashing like 2-3 times a week for me too, and there are some other smaller bugs I've noticed.

Anyway, enough of the rant, I'm still using FF hoping they will fix these bugs, if not, I think I'll be switching to something else, IE8 or Chrome (despite Google becoming too nosy)...
Quote from AutoPilot :... whoever has Vista (not sure if Win 7 is the same) can reproduce it ...

Vista 32bit, FF 3.6.3 - no issues at all.
Quote from hazaky :Vista 32bit, FF 3.6.3 - no issues at all.

Win 7 64 bit...never had an issue either.

@Dawedust.. nothing wrong with the speed of Firefox here... It's faster than Opera and milliseconds slower than Chrome.
CHROME is the way to go , I know most browsers have bookmarks but its just easier with chrome one click browsing for me basically.
Quote from The Moose :Win 7 64 bit...never had an issue either.

@Dawedust.. nothing wrong with the speed of Firefox here... It's faster than Opera and milliseconds slower than Chrome.

My experiences in OSX and Windows is that even Safari is faster.
Quote from The Moose :
Quote from hazaky :Vista 32bit, FF 3.6.3 - no issues at all.

Win 7 64 bit...never had an issue either.

See post #8 in http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=20925 from March.
He uses win 7 64 bit, I use vista 64, he doesn't seem to have solved it, but don't want to post there as it's a couple months old. He also uses hybernation/sleep that I also use, and I typically have 30+ tabs open plus a few youtube/flash ones, so perhaps there are some circumstances under which this happens, maybe flash related or graphics drivers etc, but in my case with so many tabs etc, it happens every single time, no exceptions. It's OK now since I only have to restore FF from task bar, but was highly annoying until I figured that out...
chrome with adblock.
Quote from unseen :Chrome... Hmmm. It`s Google. It`s stealing every little thing it can, when it can, in the background, so you won`t notice it. Not something I ever want on any secure, private system. Trust us, we`re Google...... **** that.

But Google doesn't need you to use Chrome if they wanted to track information about your surfing habits.

Even if you use another browser, Google (or any other website) shouldn't have much problems to identify you or to find out which websites you've been on lately.

So any browser can be insecure if it's not set up properly.
Quote from Test Driver :But Google doesn't need you to use Chrome if they wanted to track information about your surfing habits.

Even if you use another browser, Google (or any other website) shouldn't have much problems to identify you or to find out which websites you've been on lately.

So any browser can be insecure if it's not set up properly.

Yeah, that's what I said a few posts back. If someone cares enough to really want to track your moves on the internet, they can do so regardless of which browser you use. People who think they're anonymous on the internet are deluding themselves. And people who think that Google (or any other multi million dollar company) actually care about their comings and goings on the internet are flattering themselves; you mean less than jack shit to them in the bigger scheme of things. But hey, I guess the saying "ignorance is bliss" applies here
Opera, no doubt.. been using it from 4.xx versions..
Intern... just kidding

Chrome
Firefox.

Because at the time when I was using IE it seemed like the only good other chose to make. Now I know there is a lot of other choises, but I am used with it and satisfied with it. Fast or not, I can endure having to wait for a page to load up, I am not in a hurry
i use firefox, and i recomend it...i have avira antivirus, free of course.....with that combination, i have never gotten a virus, and i complete scanned my computer with one of those programs that finds EVERYTHING and still nothing at all
Safari.
Firefox

The internet browser to use
(202 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG