The online racing simulator
#51 - aoun
Place your bets!

Lewis will get some sort of penalty for getting out of his car.
Uhm, no. He got a 10.000K fine for not making the pits fast enough. Thats it.
#53 - JJ72
You can hear the crowd when Lewis crossed the line, sweet.
#54 - 5haz
Quote from DevilDare :Uhm, no. He got a 10.000K fine for not making the pits fast enough. Thats it.

Thats just ridiculous, a slap on the wrist is enough.
Indeed. Its both funny and sad... 10 bloody thousand for being late for couple of minutes...
yea thats like £10 to us and mclaren probably paid it not hamilton lol
Saying a small fine is enough of a punishment is missing the larger point I've made a few times now. It sets a dangerous precedent. It says to the teams they can run cars light at the end of qualifying (don't need to carry the kilo or two of fuel you need to make it back to the pits) and you can stop on/off track and cause yellow flags, ruining the end of quali for other drivers. In this instance Hamilton did it at the end of the session, so no people's laps were ruined, but what happens if some drivers decides to "accidentally" run out with 2 or 3 minutes left in the session?
#58 - 5haz
Well if officials have any common sense they would be able to tell the difference between a deliberate action and an accidental one.
Quote from 5haz :Well if officials have any common sense they would be able to tell the difference between a deliberate action and an accidental one.

So, did McLaren accidentally put too little fuel in Hamilton's car or did they do it on purpose? How exactly do you tell?
#60 - JCTK
Quote from amp88 :So, did McLaren accidentally put too little fuel in Hamilton's car or did they do it on purpose? How exactly do you tell?

it'll be hard...

but at least Lewis was the last car to cross the line and there was no one behind, so it wasn't dangerous in this case.

Lewis most probably did one more lap than originally planned after stuffing the first flyer and then find himself have enough time (just) to start the next flyer. But this is just pure speculation, and perhaps McLaren planned for another flyer but didn't put quite enough fuel. And they got fined and reprimanded for that action.

At the end of the day, with the FIA, there are no case precedent, F1 ain't run under the common law system. (And this is the nicest way I can put it, FIA and the stewards ain't known for consistency in their decisions anyway).
#61 - 5haz
Quote from amp88 :So, did McLaren accidentally put too little fuel in Hamilton's car or did they do it on purpose? How exactly do you tell?

If it happens too often. Plenty of truth in the above post, if the running out of fuel dosen't affect anyone elses lap then there should be no need for punishment.
Heh, so it's OK for teams to run out of fuel on the inlap as long as it doesn't disadvantage anyone else? That seems unfair to those who choose not to run out of fuel. Hamilton needed 2 flying laps to get pole yesterday. If he'd only done one flying lap then pitted (which was McLaren's intention since that was what he was given fuel to do) he would have been 4th on the grid. The team knew (and Hamilton either would or should have known) that they didn't have enough fuel for a second flying lap. Hamilton did the second flying lap, got the pole position and ran out of fuel. There's no doubt in my mind (and I don't see how there could be in anyone else's...) that McLaren and Hamilton deliberately ran out of fuel to get pole position. It's this that I'm annoyed about.
#63 - 5haz
Quote from amp88 :Heh, so it's OK for teams to run out of fuel on the inlap as long as it doesn't disadvantage anyone else? That seems unfair to those who choose not to run out of fuel. Hamilton needed 2 flying laps to get pole yesterday. If he'd only done one flying lap then pitted (which was McLaren's intention since that was what he was given fuel to do) he would have been 4th on the grid. The team knew (and Hamilton either would or should have known) that they didn't have enough fuel for a second flying lap. Hamilton did the second flying lap, got the pole position and ran out of fuel. There's no doubt in my mind (and I don't see how there could be in anyone else's...) that McLaren and Hamilton deliberately ran out of fuel to get pole position. It's this that I'm annoyed about.

Yes because I'm sure fuel levels are the main deciding factor of the qualifying results. :rolleyes:

They took a risk and gained from it as a result, then again taking risks and being bold gets you called a 'wanker' in modern F1.
Quote from 5haz :Yes because I'm sure fuel levels are the main deciding factor of the qualifying results. :rolleyes:

They took a risk and gained from it as a result, then again taking risks and being bold gets you called a 'wanker' in modern F1.

He had to do the second lap to get pole or he would have been 4th. They knew he didn't have the fuel for a second lap but he did it anyway. That's cheating as far as I'm concerned. Also, we've seen very close qualifying at the top a few times this year and carrying an extra 1-2kg might have changed those qualifying results.
#65 - 5haz
Quote from amp88 :He had to do the second lap to get pole or he would have been 4th. They knew he didn't have the fuel for a second lap but he did it anyway. That's cheating as far as I'm concerned.

What? He had enough fuel to take the flag under his own power, what happens afterwards is generally considered unimportant, unless of course you happen to be desperate to discredit the driver in question. If this had happened to say, a Lotus or even a Ferarri or Renault, nobody would bat an eybrow, different for Mclaren though.

Quote from amp88 :Also, we've seen very close qualifying at the top a few times this year and carrying an extra 1-2kg might have changed those qualifying results.

Theres nothing stopping other teams doing the same when they find themselves in the same situation.

I don't understand this attitude in modern F1 where doing anything to claim the 'unfair advantage' is considered illegal, even when within the rules. The teams and drivers want success handed to them on a plate, and there is uproar whenever anbody tries to better themselves through clever exploitation. F1 isn't fair, everyones favourite driver or team dosen't always get to win and people need to cut down on the crying and whinging when they've been beaten.
#66 - JCTK
Quote from amp88 :Heh, so it's OK for teams to run out of fuel on the inlap as long as it doesn't disadvantage anyone else? That seems unfair to those who choose not to run out of fuel. Hamilton needed 2 flying laps to get pole yesterday. If he'd only done one flying lap then pitted (which was McLaren's intention since that was what he was given fuel to do) he would have been 4th on the grid. The team knew (and Hamilton either would or should have known) that they didn't have enough fuel for a second flying lap. Hamilton did the second flying lap, got the pole position and ran out of fuel. There's no doubt in my mind (and I don't see how there could be in anyone else's...) that McLaren and Hamilton deliberately ran out of fuel to get pole position. It's this that I'm annoyed about.

it wasn't ok. McLaren got their punishments for it, albeit a very light one.

There're nothing to stop the stewards handing out much harsher penalty next time the same thing happens. That's the bigger problem, no one could estimate what sort of penalties would be handed down if it ain't written black and white in the regulations.
Quote from 5haz :What? He had enough fuel to take the flag under his own power, what happens afterwards is generally considered unimportant, unless of course you happen to be trying to discredit the driver in question. If this had happened to say, a Lotus or even a Ferarri or Renault, nobody would bat an eybrow, different for Mclaren though.

Theres nothing stopping other teams doing the same when they find themselves in the same situation.

I don't understand this attitude in modern F1 where doing anything to claim the 'unfair advantage' is considered illegal, even when within the rules. The teams and drivers want success handed to them on a plate, and there is uproar whenever anbody tries to better themselves through clever exploitation. F1 isn't fair, everyones favourite driver or team dosen't always get to win and people need to cut down on the crying and whinging.

I've bolded the relevant section of the quote because that's why I said it was cheating. What's stopping the team's all doing this? The rule that Hamilton fell foul of and got fined for. So, he broke a rule because the penalty wasn't harsh enough (offer any team in the pitlane pole for a 10k fine and they'll jump at it).
#68 - JCTK
Quote from 5haz :What? He had enough fuel to take the flag under his own power, what happens afterwards is generally considered unimportant, unless of course you happen to be desperate to discredit the driver in question. If this had happened to say, a Lotus or even a Ferarri or Renault, nobody would bat an eybrow, different for Mclaren though.

I don't understand this attitude in modern F1 where doing anything to claim the 'unfair advantage' is considered illegal, even when within the rules. The teams and drivers want success handed to them on a plate, and there is uproar whenever anbody tries to better themselves through clever exploitation. F1 isn't fair, everyones favourite driver or team dosen't always get to win and people need to cut down on the crying and whinging.

no, they should have enough fuel to reach the pits after crossing the line, that's what the "having one litre of fuel for a fuel sample" rule was intended for.

Just that at the moment nothing stops a team from switching off the engine afterwards to make sure they got enough fuel in the tank for the fuel sample.

And no one would know whether the FIA will clarify or amend the regulations to clear things up.
sounds to me that the whole "sample" wording says that at some point they plan on testing fuels...

for what? excessive ethanol?
#70 - JCTK
Quote from amp88 :I've bolded the relevant section of the quote because that's why I said it was cheating. What's stopping the team's all doing this? The rule that Hamilton fell foul of and got fined for. So, he broke a rule because the penalty wasn't harsh enough (offer any team in the pitlane pole for a 10k fine and they'll jump at it).

Just that no one can guarantee next time it'll also only be a 10k penalty...
Quote from JCTK :Just that no one can guarantee next time it'll also only be a 10k penalty...

Well, if it happens again and the penalty isn't 10k then that's even worse. A precedent has been set and everyone should meet the same penalty (at least until the end of the season where they can clarify the regs).
#72 - 5haz
Quote from amp88 :I've bolded the relevant section of the quote because that's why I said it was cheating. What's stopping the team's all doing this? The rule that Hamilton fell foul of and got fined for. So, he broke a rule because the penalty wasn't harsh enough (offer any team in the pitlane pole for a 10k fine and they'll jump at it).

The penalty was for being late, it could be quite easy for a driver to run out of fuel and still not be late, and it could be just as easy for a driver to be late having not run out of fuel.
#73 - JCTK
Quote from amp88 :Well, if it happens again and the penalty isn't 10k then that's even worse. A precedent has been set and everyone should meet the same penalty (at least until the end of the season where they can clarify the regs).

as I said earlier, the FIA and the stewards doesn't do case precedent, unless it's a prescribed penalty written black and white into the regulations. The teams should have and would have known this fact.
Quote from 5haz :The penalty was for being late, it could be quite easy for a driver to run out of fuel and still not be late, and it could be just as easy for a driver to be late having not run out of fuel.

Yes, and the teams know exactly how much fuel is in the car at any point in time. They would have been able to accurately estimate how far around the inlap Hamilton would have got if he needed to kill the engine to keep the 1 litre in the tank.
According to gary paffet or nick heidfield(during one of the practice sessions) running the extra 3-10 kg of fuel or whatever doesn't really make that much of difference but i do understand the point of everyone doing it, i just don't think they will all do it. After all lewis ran out on the back straight so it was just a minor mis calculation more than anything. Not so on purpose as you're making out amp.

BTW, 5haz, it's not a good look

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG