The online racing simulator
More unlock issues
(10 posts, started )
More unlock issues
I've played LFS Demo for a while, and finally bought S2, with the payment coming through this morning. I unlocked the game on my laptop and my home desktop machine. When I went to Uni, and tried to use the game on my laptop I'd been reset to a Demo racer.

Having read some different forum threads, I noted that dual boot has been known to cause issues, so given one spare unlock (that I'll get tomorrow) was available, I'd test some things out. A simple reload of the game didn't produce any problems, so I disconnected the wheel and hibernated the laptop. When I turned it on again, demo racer. I have double checked that all the files are not read only.

I have done shut downs on the desktop machine and logged on as different users, and it still holds the S2 license fine. My laptop does not hold the install even if all I do is reboot or hibernate.

I have had an install of linux on my laptop which I use from time to time, and this has modified the master boot record so that I use an initial bootloader called GRUB. This then loads the windows bootloader should I choose windows. The desktop has only a single instance of windows.

It's rather frustrating as I'd prefer not to reinstall my laptop to only have a single windows and no linux install... I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues? It's hard to test exact scenarios that cause the loss of registered status because I don't have any unlocks left.

Any help would be appreciated.

GazMan86
#2 - vrt3
I don't think it's caused by GRUB
I strongly doubt that it's caused by your dual boot system: I have that too, also with GRUB as the bootloader, and it causes no problems. I just tried booting into Linux and back into Windows, and I still have my license.

Unfortunately I can't help you any further than that, not knowing ow the licensing process works behind the scenes.
There are issues with laptops and desktops which support suspend / hibernation. If you search the forum you should find a few posts / threads about it.

Edit: the other thing it could be is are you using the same installation in Windows and in Linux Under Wine?
#4 - Krane
Dual boot does unlock LFS if you use the same installation on both OSes. You need to have separate LFS for each OS. Existance of another OS shouldn't do it though.

Hibernation also makes LFS unlock it self, or hibernation prior to unlocking LFS and then rebooting.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=165231#post165231
Quote from Scawen :
Normally the reason for losing your unlocked status in the program is that you have hibernating switched on and your computer has hibernated.

The solution :

1) RESTART computer immediately before you unlock the first time!

2) If you ever find it locked again, exit LFS and RESTART computer. Now you are unlocked again!

Alternatively, switch off the hibernate function.

Thanks to all who replied, specifically about the hibernation issue. A restart with no hibernation appears to have restored my license. I had sent a message to lfstech and received the same reply. I'll do some more testing to make sure this is all, and then modify my habits so I don't hibernate my laptop until the bug is fixed. Once again, thanks to all those who replied.

GazMan86
Hello! I am having a little issue on my dualboot laptop. I am running LFS in Windows XP with S2 on. Is it possible to use 'same lfs "folder"' via my linux OS? I hate when I have to reboot to XP just for some little thing in LFS going online and then back to my beloved OS.

Is there a way to use lfs in such a way? Or should I just run separate unlocked lfs `instances/folders` for each system?
Thanks
IIRC you have to reneame some files with extension xyz (they store unlock information for each OS). Search a bit, ou should find it easy
Quote from Whiskey :IIRC you have to reneame some files with extension xyz (they store unlock information for each OS). Search a bit, ou should find it easy

Could you PM, me that xyz extension please? :-)
#9 - dadge
download lfs to the linux os, and also for XP. so you have two different LFS installs. unlock both of them. your unlocks get renewed (1 each week iirc) each friday.
i think.
Quote from dadge :download lfs to the linux os, and also for XP. so you have two different LFS installs. unlock both of them. your unlocks get renewed (1 each week iirc) each friday.
i think.

So the B method. Ok thanks ;-)

More unlock issues
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG