The online racing simulator
[tsr.] Blackwood Texture Update
(56 posts, started )
Boxer and I have been working hard on these, we've finally gotten to a stage where we're both happy with the textures and are close to releasing them. Just finalising a few things.

As always, you all want pics. So. Here...

If no images are here, fileanchor.com is down

Crits/Comments are welcome

If you don't see image-thumbnails go into your forum profile and enable the 'show links as images' option (or something like that, I think that's it)

Edit : Mirrors for the images if you don't want the hassle

http://www.syncro-racing.com/bl1.jpg
http://www.syncro-racing.com/bl2.jpg
http://www.syncro-racing.com/bl3.jpg
Looks Great! I'm wait for release!
#3 - boxer
Bear in mind these are work in progress shots and so may not represent the quality of the final release. Saying that.. we are very happy so far and hope to get this beauty out to you all very soon. You can then expect updates for Aston, Kyoto and South City.
#4 - joen
Sexy! me wants!
Damn that looks good. But the dark/light patches down the back straight dont look that good.
Regular BW textures have that. Not to that extent. It's basically 'old and new' tarmac. New being nice and black and smooth, old being more worn and grey..
As I told you on MSN when you showed me, very nice work Can't wait to have them in LFS
Sorry Guys, but the new Textures looks too clear. It´s loke like a comicstyle or something. But nice Google Image guys, it´s the same texture i see it
1) We didn't Google image search any texture.
2) Boxer's comments were constructive critisicm. Although were slightly harsh, I admit.

Alot of texture packs are personal preference. Some people will like yours, some ours.

But thank you for coming to the thread
I don't like the color of the grass, it's not green enough (typical ISI-engine grass, I hate it :P) Curbstones look way too flat, for.. curbstones.

Tarmac looks better, but still very flat and dark. Sorry.
Thanks for the constructive post darkone, these are still WIP so we will definately take your post into consideration and make some changes
#12 - Vain
I like the overall look very much. It's pretty dark and stands out from all other LFS tracks, which makes it unusual to the eye at first.
I didn't see any problems with it except that the grass looks a bit too repetitive. That's not much of a problem because I try to spend as little time on the grass as possible ( ) but doesn't look that nice on screenshots.
Keep up the good work.

Vain
The repetative grass has been a problem throughout. Since we used an actual photograph of grass as a base you'll end up seeing the same 'patch' quite a bit. The way BLGP's textures are laid out on the course seem to escalate the problem slightly since they repeat seemingly hundreds of times..

I think in the end we'll release a couple of packs, one like it is now and one brighter and more 'cheerful'.

Both of those packs will be in both 2048x2048 (road, grass, etc) and 1024x1024 to suit peoples PC's
I have to agree with Darkone, the grass looks a bit undersaturated. I'd also try to weaken the brightness difference of the normal and rubber-marked kerbparts - right now, atleast where the kerb texture is used twice (at the 1st chicane), it looks like some really weird lightning and gives them a fake 3D effect.

All in all, the weakly saturated grass and dark tarmac make the pic look very colorless, and I suspect that when you put a LFS car in there, it will totally look out of place with a much higher saturation than its surrounding (not quite unlike most ISI based sims).

But this is just assumptions, I'd have to see it in motion with cars to make a judgment. My first reaction was definitely WOW, so keep up the good work
Some 'track with car' pics.

I actually think with a car in there all the levels look quite realistic. Maybe it's just my monitor...
release it already man!
I know I'm nagging here, but a car with a dark blue/white skin... on a background that is mostly black, green, white and dark blue...

#19 - joen
Well, I think it looks pretty great I don't think the car stands out. Other parts of the track stand out more, like the trackside tyres in the first pic. But I guess that is just the downside of making high res textures, the difference between low and high res textures will be more noticable.

The curbs may look a bit flat from certain angles, but I think some more tweaking can improve that.

Overall, I like them and would certainly use them

edit: maybe the grass could use some dried/dead grass parts?
Come on Electricwolf, play fair please.. i know i critisised your work but i meant it in the nicest possible way - constructively. I just think your version doesn't look realistic, im sorry i upset you. But i assure you the textures we use were not googled, we have spent a lot of time perfecting them in photoshop and trying to get them looking as realistic as possible.

Blackwood has 2 main types of tarmac, one defined as 'new' and one defined as 'old' - now obviously they pretty much speak for themselves.. the 'new' variety is recently laid fresh tarmac, while the 'old' is tarmac that has been there some time. I do not think our 'new' tarmac version looks comical, in my honest opinion it looks realistic.. and yes.. you guessed it.. new!

These are work in progress shots.. things will be changed, and we really appreciate all the comments you guys have shared with us. We're spending quite some time trying to improve the circuits for everyone's enjoyment, so please try to be patient!

More shots and progress reports coming very soon!

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention a few other little things! The curbs are actually flat as pancakes around blackwood, so you cant really make them 3D just by using textures. So they look flat because.. well.. they actually are - thats down to the model. The grass will be tweaked and other stuff added like updated foliage such as bushes and long grass etc. Hope that clears things up!
Quote from joen :edit: maybe the grass could use some dried/dead grass parts?

Originally it had more, but the way LFS tiles it you see the same brown patch..alot basically and it looked just wrong.
The grass will definately be brighter when it's released
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
One other point I'd like to make about the grass, is that individual blades of grass look too big. This seems to be a comon problem with high res grass textures - people use closer up pics of grass and the blades look 4 times what they should :P

Other than that, it's looking fantastic! Can't wait for the release

MAGGOT
I tried to get the blades proper size, but failed it seems.

Grass is under heavy work now though

(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG