The online racing simulator
Heavy throttle setup that's slow??
(7 posts, started )
#1 - Dac
I have created my first setup for Blackwood GP with the FBM, the tyre temperatures are between 68-70 on all 4 and across the entire tread. I have given it a soft suspension setup with next to zero wings. The setup is very drivable I can stamp on the brake late and hard throw it into the corner and apply full throttle almost instantly. In theory it sounds good but it's exceptionally slow, I'm struggling to get below 1:15's when my PB is 1:13.4 with a much harder setup.

I believe what I have created is a setup that is too grippy so it's causing excess friction and slowing it down. I think what I need to achieve is the car more on the limit which means less grip. However what is the best way to achieve this?

Thanks,
More likely is that the improvement in braking and traction from the soft car is more than cancelled out by the reduction in cornering ability from excess roll, excess camber change, and excess movement of the CoG. Maybe it can be improved by a change of driving style - braking much more directly to the apex, turning the car for a shorter amount of time, and then gunning it?

But this isn't likely to work - simulators end up with 'perfect' setups that cannot be overcome by different styles due to the vast amount of laps we can do. So I suspect the only way to go faster is to stiffen the car up again.
#3 - Dac
There is plenty of traction for cornering, that is what's puzzling me. I have included the setup as an attachment. I believe you are correct in that the only way forward is to go stiffer but this is counter intuitive to RL is it not?
Attached files
FBM_Blackwood.set - 132 B - 941 views
What I found is that it has no where near enough psi, which is making it lose like 7km/h down the back straight which is a lot of time loss just there! It's also very understeery so it's not very direct on change of directions... Well not so much understeery because the fronts don't really push, but you definitely have to use a lot more steering lock to get it round the corner and to change direction.

I think the best thing to remember is if they car feels easy to drive, it's usually slow. The best thing to do is to be able to have a fast set (usually a bit oversteery) and drive it right on it's limit just before it breaks rear traction all the time. That will feel better anyway, and you'll just be overall faster everywhere because you can carry more entry speed, so more apex speed and you can drive the car straighter on the exit too because you're not struggling to get round the corner and it won't bog down, or have that 'too much friction' effect you mentioned...

That's just what I found anyway everyone has a different opinion
#5 - Dac
Quote from [DUcK] :What I found is that it has no where near enough psi, which is making it lose like 7km/h down the back straight which is a lot of time loss just there! It's also very understeery so it's not very direct on change of directions... Well not so much understeery because the fronts don't really push, but you definitely have to use a lot more steering lock to get it round the corner and to change direction.

I think the best thing to remember is if they car feels easy to drive, it's usually slow. The best thing to do is to be able to have a fast set (usually a bit oversteery) and drive it right on it's limit just before it breaks rear traction all the time. That will feel better anyway, and you'll just be overall faster everywhere because you can carry more entry speed, so more apex speed and you can drive the car straighter on the exit too because you're not struggling to get round the corner and it won't bog down, or have that 'too much friction' effect you mentioned...

That's just what I found anyway everyone has a different opinion

What I don't understand is that the theory of making the tyres evenly and optimally heated is supposed to make you faster. However it seems having 70 degrees on the inside and just above cold on the outers makes you faster. Is this a problem with the simulation or is it practice in RL because I have read a difference of 5 degrees is the goal.

Thanks,
I noticed in most hotlaps the cars drift a little bit through the corners.
So maybe a "perfect grip setup" might be good for racing but for just one hotlap a slightly oversteery and drifty setup might be better.

do you know about the replay/hotlap analyzer?
You can compare 2 hotlaps, for example speed through corners or on straights and see where you are slower/faster.
if you try stiffening up the springs proportionally then you should have atleast a similar feel to the car, only a little faster...maybe you will have to tweak it a little bit, maybe not.

i havent really experamented with this, or tested this theory at all, so if its wrong then dont flame me

it is just a theory :hide:

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG