The online racing simulator
What would you rather drive on a track?
(82 posts, started )
Quote from Jakg :One more thing to note - FR are RPM limited to 4.5k RPM and these days have a blanket speed restriction of 110 MPH.

The Monoposto lap record had an average speed of 112mph! The Tatus won't be as quick but would still be severely held back by that speed restriction at a track that consists of exciting fast bits with a couple of boring slow bits. Even the Mazda would be touching that speed restriction.
Easy choice, go with A.

Why?

Because B and C you can easily do on your own.
Quote from ajp71 :The Monoposto lap record had an average speed of 112mph! The Tatus won't be as quick but would still be severely held back by that speed restriction at a track that consists of exciting fast bits with a couple of boring slow bits. Even the Mazda would be touching that speed restriction.

HAD an average speed of 112. It is now 117.13mph average due to me

Below are some pictures of my final corner, final lap overtaking attempt that went wrong...
Attached images
thruxton4.JPG
thruxton5.jpg
thruxton6.JPG
B fo sho.
Quote from tristancliffe :HAD an average speed of 112. It is now 117.13mph average due to me

Below are some pictures of my final corner, final lap overtaking attempt that went wrong...

the last shot looks so angry lol. you had some great laps on your video.
The Formula Renault would be a great thrill, however much it's limited, it will be like nothing you've ever driven before. I've done a few laps in a Cayman around Thruxton and it wasn't brilliant, the high-speed handling of the Porsche isn't up to much.

I'd go for the 14 laps in the MX5. They are still one of the best drivers cars available, and by the end of the 14 laps you will have had a good chance to get to know it.
The Miata may be the most fun, but at a circuit like that maybe not. But, at least 14 laps would take a while!

If it were me, and I'd never done anything like this before, I'd probably go with the Renault/Cayman. If you've never driven a racing car before the Renault will be a blast, no matter the rev limit.
Quote from tristancliffe :I guess so. Most drivers, even several of which I consider to be very talented, were lifting or braking for most of those corners, whilst I had so much grid I could put the car where I wanted. I was clearly running too much wing!!

must have been a setup or other car thing... possibly a suicidadility (im sure thats an actual word) thing
i dont see how talent could account for making up that much time to a by the looks of it identical car on a track thats essentially made up entirely out of straights
Awesome lap Tristan! You got a mention in today's Autosport which I'll post in a sec. Exciting race too, but it always is with you.

RIP Jeff Leadley though

E: Uploaded, attatched.
Attached images
117MPH GODDAMN.jpg
Quote from Timdpr :Awesome lap Tristan! You got a mention in today's Autosport which I'll post in a sec. Exciting race too, but it always is with you.

RIP Jeff Leadley though

E: Uploaded, attatched.

Yup, also a bit in the race report as well (attached). Not all my races are exciting, but I'd love to have dull ones for the rest of the season though!

RIP indeed. Wherever he is, I'm sure Jeff will be pleased that racing continued. If it was me that was killed, I wouldn't want hundreds of racers to be forced to go home. The racing has to go on, so might as well go on immediately.

E: Also attached official timing results!!
Attached images
AUTOSPORT 2010-05-13 Race Report.jpg
practice.jpg
race.jpg
It looked like an awesome drive from where I was in the stands.
I especially liked your comment about running out of brakes and talent in the Club chicane on the last lap.
Lippy
#63 - Jakg
Bump - today was the day

Not really much to report - as cool as the Lambo's etc looked, the drivers were being forced to baby them round so it seemed a little pointless... the only things being pushed hard were the Cayman's and the MX5 I was in... wasn't quite as "trackday" as I thought it would be, and much more instruction based.

Biggest problem I had was i'm too used to a "road" driving style - even when I "make progress" I always leave myself a long braking zone so I can brake gently for mechanical sympathy / room to brake harder if I need to. Going into a corner and braking as hard as possible felt oddly weird to do.

Managed to do rather well overall, though, kept up with the single seaters and easily outpaced the other drivers in the Caymans (160 BHP MX5 vs 265 BHP Cayman...) which was enough for me

Even got to follow Tiff Nedell round the track... but alas even while sideways 90% of the time, an M3 is going to make mincemeat of an MX5

14 laps went very quick, that, added to a rather dull circuit, a long drive there and back made it a bit of an anti-climax... can't complain, though, as the whole thing was free thanks to my clubcard vouchers!

Alas the videos / pictures are all useless, though - the only corner I got was the chicane and I got traffic on ever. single. lap (and I somehow managed to end up in 6th every time I tried to shift down to 4th :/)

...but my birthday present from my parents was something similar so next Thursday I shall be doing something rally related!
Braking is the last thing a race driver learns to do properly - so I'm not suprised you found it odd.
good to know tristan
#66 - Jakg
Quote from Jakg :
Alas the videos / pictures are all useless, though

Seems I lied... GF just called to tell me that I might want to look at my cameras SD card (didn't even know she'd used it!) and found this:

doesnt look very special to me

whats going on in that picture?
Dont think its supposed to be "special".

Just a pic to give us the idea...
Did you take Church flat?
#70 - Jakg
Shame - it's quite satisfying at 150mph!
That MX5 looks happy
#73 - Jakg
Quote from Jakg :
...but my birthday present from my parents was something similar so next Thursday I shall be doing something rally related!

Group N Evo 5 on a Tarmac stage, followed by a slightly fettled RWD Evo 5 on a Gravel Track, then the same track in a LHD Group N Polo, then back to the Evo. Lovely!

Cars were dogs (RWD Evo couldn't idle properly and I managed to cook the Polo, which was covered in some rather tasty dents) but they were at least proper rally spec cars that had lead a... hard life.

Why anyone would convert an Evo to RWD i'm not quite sure - theres no rally you can enter it in and if your not trying to meet a spec i'm not sure why you'd want a massively boosted 2 litre engine over something else, but it was still fun

I think I prefer loose surfaces / getting cars sideways to track driving, unfortunately (i'll show myself the door...)

anyway... pictures:

#74 - Osco
RWD evo, loose surface and no pics of any opposite lock whatsoever? Must've been quite the day
#75 - Jakg
Quote from Osco :RWD evo, loose surface and no pics of any opposite lock whatsoever? Must've been quite the day

I know, I know... but the photographer was standing right on large corner with deep gravel where you couldn't get any out of it, it just dug in. I got it (and the Polo surprisingly enough) sideways a lot... but I have no picture evidence

What would you rather drive on a track?
(82 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG