The online racing simulator
Classic cars
(25 posts, started )
#1 - nubz
Classic cars
I was at a car show and looking at the classic cars which used to be
The fast cars of they're days got me thinking. Ac cobras, STILL, yes still very, very fast cars. Small agile, quick, alot of tourqe, horsepower, good handling, etc. Chargers, drag racing, You know the good old racers,
Old 56' corvettes, mustangs, the old racers, maybe even a model T .
Haha ok that would be some long racing. But I'm i the only one that would love to see and race a '65 Shelby Cobra, 427 big block, 0-60 in under 4 seconds, 12 second quarter mile. Dont know what one is? http://www.shelbyamerican.com/CSX4000.asp
i say yay for a coupe that we can pair up with LX6!
(or.. LX4 if need be)
I'm sure some classically inspired LFS car will appear at somepoint. As will bikes, aeroplanes, and boats. Nah, really.
#4 - ajp71
Trying to simulate any historic car will never really work in a simulation that assumes bodies are rigid.
#5 - nubz
car are cars
Where the hell do you get bikes, etc,, Some of those classics are fast then some of the other cars. Classics would be So cool. ATLEAST just the
Shelby Cobra, My favorite Car. (Range) Quoted from
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com
AC Cobra 427

For the 1965 season Shelby went one step further with his Cobras. The British chassis were further strengthened by increasing the diameter of the chassis tubes and the semi-elliptic leaf springs were replaced by coils. All this was done to accommodate a 7 litre engine. Unfortunately Shelby hadn't constructed enough examples when the FIA visited the factory to homologate it for GT-racing. Many of the race cars built were converted for road use and only very few race 427s took to the track in 1965.

General specifications Record last updated Before 12 / 01 / 2004 Country of origin Great Britain Years of production 1965 - 1967Numbers built 306 Body design N/A Weight975 kilo / 2149.5 lbs Drivetrain Engine Ford 90º V 8 Engine Location Front , longitudinally mounted Displacement 6.996 liter / 426.9 cu in Valvetrain 2 valves / cylinder, OHV Fuel feed Holley 780 CFM Carburetor Aspiration Naturally Aspirated Gearbox Ford 4 speed Manual Drive Rear wheel drive Performance figures Power 485 bhp / 362 KW @ 6500 rpm Torque 652 Nm / 481 ft lbs @ 3700 rpm BHP/Liter69 bhp / liter Power to weight ratio 0.5 bhp / kg Top Speed 266 km/h / 165 mph 0-60 mph Acceleration 4.2 s

Ok it didn't turn out right.
#6 - nubz
Wtf?
Quote from ajp71 :Trying to simulate any historic car will never really work in a simulation that assumes bodies are rigid.

Ok "ridid" your Soo .... Dumb. Too bad i can't cuss.
Quote from nubz :Some stupid remark...

He is correct, to a point. You'll never make a car handle totally like real life until you model how the chassis bends. As a rough generalisation, chassis having been getting stiffer over time, so older cars would handle too well. Just imagine how 1920's car with ladder chassis must of handles... doesn't bare thinking about really.
#8 - Gunn
AC Cobras handle like crap. Great in a straight line though.
lol name 1 good car of that era that handled.. "good" haha
How about a "modern classic"

Like the E-Types which have been overhauled or a modern kit car replica of a cobra for example

The cars of that era may not have handled as "good" but i bet they were a hell of a lot more fun than most modern cars
#11 - Gunn
Quote from XCNuse :lol name 1 good car of that era that handled.. "good" haha

That really wouldn't be hard, but the reason why the AC and many other powerful cars of that era didn't handle well is because they had this mammoth powerplant up front which puts a lot of weight over the front wheels. If Shelby were designing cars today though, I reckon he'd deliver the same super grunt as yesteryear, the same classic curves in the bodywork but with modern suspension and chassis design.
It's a bit of a shame that many of our favourite classics handle like a bucket of poo, some beautiful looking (and sounding) Aston Martins spring to mind, as do a few 'Vettes and cars of that ilk. You can't go past that old charm though 'eh?
Quote from Gunn :You can't go past that old charm though 'eh?

well.. i have the feeling ford, chevy, and dodge think otherwise lol, but i think they are doing a good job of modernizing old style cars

as for handling.. well.. no thanks to leaf springs lol
Quote from Gunn :If Shelby were designing cars today though, I reckon he'd deliver the same super grunt as yesteryear, the same classic curves in the bodywork but with modern suspension and chassis design.

I think Shelby is still designing cars, aren't they?

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/

That ultimate Aero is killer. Over 1000 HP and it should do 273 MPH (according to wind tunnel calculations anyway).

Eat your heart out Bugatti Veyron and Ferrari Enzo!

EDIT: Just out of curiousity I ran the car through Straightline Acceleration Simulator (one of my proggies). With the aero and engine data they provided it would indeed do 273 MPH provided the drivetrain efficiency was 87%. Not unreasonable at all. Can you imagine going that fast though? lol
Quote from jtw62074 :EDIT: Just out of curiousity I ran the car through Straightline Acceleration Simulator (one of my proggies). With the aero and engine data they provided it would indeed do 273 MPH provided the drivetrain efficiency was 87%. Not unreasonable at all. Can you imagine going that fast though? lol

Bah, I tried the same thing in GRC and it's giving me 259.7 mph. Where did the other 13mph go? Assuming we've both got aero spot on, do I have too much tyre rolling resistance?

Either way, impressive car.
#15 - Gunn
Quote from jtw62074 :I think Shelby is still designing cars, aren't they?

I don't know if Caroll Shelby is still desigining cars. I believe he had a heart transplant some years ago. Shelby Supercars has no relationship with Caroll Shelby or the AC Cobra sports car.
I don't think we should have a AC cobra type car. I never really liked that car very much. Maybe old Porsche 996 style cars.
Quote from Gunn :I don't know if Caroll Shelby is still desigining cars. I believe he had a heart transplant some years ago. Shelby Supercars has no relationship with Caroll Shelby or the AC Cobra sports car.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info.
Quote from Bob Smith :Bah, I tried the same thing in GRC and it's giving me 259.7 mph. Where did the other 13mph go? Assuming we've both got aero spot on, do I have too much tyre rolling resistance?

Either way, impressive car.

Wierd... What's GRC?

I was using a tyre rolling resistance coefficient of 0.012 there, but I doubt it will make much difference at those speeds. Just make sure it's geared so the engine is actually running at the power peak at top speed. Also, not all programs are created equal, so that could be part of it too...

I'm a big fan of the AC Cobra. I just love loud, abnoxious V8's with side pipes and all that fun stuff Chris West has a blue Cobra with a Jag V-12 in it. First time I've ever heard of anything other than a V8 or V10 in one of those
Quote from jtw62074 :Wierd... What's GRC?

I was using a tyre rolling resistance coefficient of 0.012 there, but I doubt it will make much difference at those speeds. Just make sure it's geared so the engine is actually running at the power peak at top speed. Also, not all programs are created equal, so that could be part of it too...

Gear Ratio Calculator, you gave me some pointers for the acceleration testing, remember?

I'm using speed sensitive rolling resistance, it has the basic coefficient of rolling resistance plus a speed effect resistance using a polynomial of order 2.5 (such that at silly high speeds, tyre drag increases faster than air drag, which I know is wrong).

And that test is a simple power vs drag, doesn't take any gearing into account.

Did some testing...
At 259.7 mph: 5114N air drag, 738N tyre drag, 5851N total drag
At 272.9 mph: 5646N air drag, 819N tyre drag, 6466N total drag

Assuming car can overcome 5851N total drag, subtract 5646N air drag leaves 205N for tyre drag.
Using constant tyre drag: 1200kg * 9.81 * 0.012 = 141N.
So if I used the same tyre drag, the car would still be accelerating (just) at 272.9mph... so then it matches your calculations.

I was lead to believe that non-speed sensitive tyre drag calculation was some archaic?
I think we could use some older production and GT-classed cars, such as an MG, Porsche, or Jag.
Quote from XCNuse :lol name 1 good car of that era that handled.. "good" haha

erm, MINI COOPER?!?
I know that Cobra replicas are far better than the original these days. Not really the same as the old car... but they have modern parts and mechanics, and they handle very good. (lighter mostly)
Quote from WH33LNUT :erm, MINI COOPER?!?

not american nor.. is it .. uh.. a muscle car (or .. atleast from my termonology of what a muscle car is)
Quote from Tweaker :I know that Cobra replicas are far better than the original these days. Not really the same as the old car... but they have modern parts and mechanics, and they handle very good. (lighter mostly)

That's propably true in the U.S. However most of the Cobra replicas over here are built on a Ford Taunus chassis with a Ford SOHC V6.. not quite the same thing as the real deal.

About having an Cobra in LFS.. I think it would be cool if it was the Daytona version: http://www.f1photographs.co.uk ... tona%20Coupe%201d_JPG.jpg
Oops

Classic cars
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG