The online racing simulator
Unable to unlock
(11 posts, started )
Unable to unlock
Hiya all,
I am using Windows Vista Beta 2, and seem unable to unlock LFS on it. The only error message I recieve is "Unlocking Error" and LFS remains unlocked. I do not know whether this is a problem with Vista, or an incompatability between LFS and Vista. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
John

EDIT: I have one spare unlock available according to the LFS website
#2 - joen
Maybe the Windows Firewall is blocking the unlock request?
Nope. Windows Firewall was the first thing to be turned off, as I am connected to a wireless router.
I can join Demo servers, and race, but when it comes to unlocking I seem totally unable to do anything.
#4 - joen
Well, I haven't installed any Vista builds for quite some time now, and i never tested LFS on any of them. So I don't know if there's any compatibility issues.
I can't imagine why there would be any though, at least not when it comes to unlocking
It looks, like he has solved the problem, because it says, that he is driving on a S2 server.
Does anybody know where i can download Vista Beta 2 from?? Any will i need to have an OS installed (working) 1st, before i put Vista on or can i ovewrite the old (I'm getting BSOD every time i start the PC with 0x24 so i don't mind overwriting it as it is already busted)

All info. appreciated!!
#7 - joen
Quote from spsamsp :Does anybody know where i can download Vista Beta 2 from?? Any will i need to have an OS installed (working) 1st, before i put Vista on or can i ovewrite the old (I'm getting BSOD every time i start the PC with 0x24 so i don't mind overwriting it as it is already busted)

All info. appreciated!!

Legally? At the moment Beta 2 is only available to Technet and MSDN subscribers AFAIK, but there will be fully public beta available quite soon I believe. Otherwise I'm sure there are torrent sites that have it.
You don't need to have a previous Windows version installed.
Quote from zeugnimod :It looks, like he has solved the problem, because it says, that he is driving on a S2 server.

Nope, that was on my copy of XP that I am dual booting with, I am afraid. Still not solved the problem, I have tried several times now, and it seems to be a Vista problem, unfortunately. Looks like I will just have to wait for M$ to sort it out.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
-
(th84) DELETED by th84
#9 - bal00
From what I've read LFS ties the unlock to the specific computer, so it presumably uses some relatively static information about the system like hardware, partition sizes etc. to do so.

Maybe it can't collect this information due to changes in the interface in Vista or receives some unexpected values (Windows version number for example). Of course this is just speculation, but since you seem to be able to connect to the master server to pull the (demo) server list, it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with connectivity or firewalls.
Quote from bal00 :From what I've read LFS ties the unlock to the specific computer, so it presumably uses some relatively static information about the system like hardware, partition sizes etc. to do so.

Maybe it can't collect this information due to changes in the interface in Vista or receives some unexpected values (Windows version number for example). Of course this is just speculation, but since you seem to be able to connect to the master server to pull the (demo) server list, it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with connectivity or firewalls.

I am also starting to think it is something to do with the version number of Vista (which is not a standard version). Maybe the Master Server is only expecting version numbers from existing versions of Windows (eg 5.1.2600 for Windows XP), and since Vista is a Beta the Master Server does not recognise this as a version of Windows. I could be talking utter rubbish here, but it is a theory to add to the list.
#11 - joen
I think you're right, sounds quite plausible anyway

Unable to unlock
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG