The online racing simulator
Realistic pitting
(29 posts, started )
Realistic pitting
I quite like the way some F1 sims from the past handle pitting, I think it would be real nice and add extra realism to LFS if we had the following:

1. Pits stops are either scheduled pre-race or requested during the race, you can't just arrive at the pit any time you like because it takes the pit crew a little while to get ready for you.

2. The pit crew prompts you when it is time to pit or when they are ready for you if an unscheduled pit-stop was requested. A radio call would be nice, but a simple text prompt or flashing icon will do too. It is to easy to forget to pit when battling for position, running out of fuel is the worst way to end a race.

3. An actual pit crew around your pit or at least a lollipop man would make pitting easier and more realistic.

4. A prompt by the lollipop man to engage 1st gear to give us an indication that the pit-stop is almost finished.

That's all I can think of right now, LFS is great otherwise.
Yes, why not. +1
Good idea for official races, events etc
But can u imagine the chaos it would be on pub server ? (need to ask for a pit stop, use the good pitbox, etc)

But, I agree with you. I really like those idea and would add lots of reallism
Ye would be a good addition, but as we all know it wont come like that..
Can you imagine the amount of people(NPC´s) injured during pit-stopping by noobs?

I agree with this as a viable option... could be fun, running trough pit lines in full speed and kill as many people as possible.
Quote from Bigbob1993 :I agree with this as a viable option... could be fun, running trough pit lines in full speed and kill as many people as possible.

New option in LFS: CARMAGEDDON!
It should be a Option on servers, like the cruise option, a admin can turn it on and off, so there is no problem on cruise/drift/fun servers
The trouble with having proper pitboxes is the number of them available on the tracks. You can have 40 cars competing but there may not be enough boxes for everyone to have a unique box. IRL they get round this by the fact that people race in teams so can share a box but in LFS, many people don't race as a team so it would be very unfair if you need to pit but someone else is in your box.

Actually, I think a good thing would be to have the server dynamically assign a random pitbox when you request a stop, similar to the way it puts you in a random garage when you start - you're never (ok, very rarely) going to get the situation where all 40 cars need to pit at once, so just having it give you *a* specific place to stop would be a better step from the current situation of just stopping in any box you feel like. This would also let pit crews be shown for 'active' boxes.
#9 - Hahmo
Can be done via Insim.
Though you cant get the NPC's with it, but you can make the possibility to request pitstop etc
It would be awesome if you could knock over you crew.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf_elmx_waU&NR=1
Maybe some cool physics for faceplants.

No back2Topic, It would be very difficult for some people to drive into pits and hit into your own pitstop crew. It could be only if you drives over the pitline and the KI will control your car. Then you get control back if you driving over the exit from the pit.
But that would make not any sense.
Quote from Bigbob1993 :Can you imagine the amount of people(NPC´s) injured during pit-stopping by noobs?

I agree with this as a viable option... could be fun, running trough pit lines in full speed and kill as many people as possible.

It would be boring, because these "people" would be untouchable (you'd get through them just as we already do now), and you'd get a penalty for getting through them.
I love how some people want this feature just to run people over

-1 from me, unless its an option and not forced
Good Idea!
Quote from Crashgate3 :The trouble with having proper pitboxes is the number of them available on the tracks. You can have 40 cars competing

i see you dont join full servers often, 40 cars = impossible

32 max it is :P
More discussion on the same subject here.
The awesome thing bout the upcoming game F1 2010, is that you can runover your lollypopman. This is gonna be Carmageddon all over again!!! I'm just going to fail at stopping intime all day long!
#17 - AMB
I'd rather them finish with the updates they supposed to had done like 2 years ago or however long rather than a realistic pit, better physics and a new car and track sounds good enough.
Quote from rockclan :The awesome thing bout the upcoming game F1 2010, is that you can runover your lollypopman. This is gonna be Carmageddon all over again!!! I'm just going to fail at stopping intime all day long!

The game can't be too good if THAT is "the awesome thing" about it.
Nice, that would be cool.
Quote from Crashgate3 :The trouble with having proper pitboxes is the number of them available on the tracks. You can have 40 cars competing but there may not be enough boxes for everyone to have a unique box. IRL they get round this by the fact that people race in teams so can share a box but in LFS, many people don't race as a team so it would be very unfair if you need to pit but someone else is in your box.

Could to some degree be solved by dynamically assign free pitboxes. I have yet to see the pits completly full of cars, so there is always a couple of boxes free at any time.
Quote from Skagen :Could to some degree be solved by dynamically assign free pitboxes. I have yet to see the pits completly full of cars, so there is always a couple of boxes free at any time.

The reason for moving to having pit boxes assigned to drivers (so they can only stop in a specific box rather than stopping anywhere that's free) is to improve realism. It's not realistic for them to potentially be given different pit boxes every time they stop.
+1. But really...every topic in this forum is pointless...we all know LFS is dead and gone development-wise.
Quote from Mango Juice :+1. But really...every topic in this forum is pointless...we all know LFS is dead and gone development-wise.

:bananadea

Realistic pitting
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG