The online racing simulator
Quote from three_jump :Is it just me or is the sound (loudness) difference between engine and tires a bit off? (I'm refering to the video link posted above)

That can be adjusted.

Having quite a bit of trouble with the latest version, very wierd shadow bug and my PC reboots after synchronising with an online server, are these well known bugs? Can't find anything on them.

When it does work, the feel of the cars is so much better.
Quote from three_jump :Is it just me or is the sound (loudness) difference between engine and tires a bit off? (I'm refering to the video link posted above)

The tire volume in the replays is well overdone. All sounds can be adjusted in game though

Quote from 5haz :Having quite a bit of trouble with the latest version, very wierd shadow bug and my PC reboots after synchronising with an online server, are these well known bugs? Can't find anything on them.

Sorry, not heard of those ones... Shadow bug could well be a driver issue, but as for PC rebooting...no idea. Not seen that reported anywhere.
all i can say about 1.1 is that imo its the best ive ever driven, ffb , setups, everything is so acurate.

only thing what misses for me are real tracks, but apart from that a new addiction has just begon...
Quote from Rudy van Buren :all i can say about 1.1 is that imo its the best ive ever driven, ffb , setups, everything is so acurate.

only thing what misses for me are real tracks, but apart from that a new addiction has just begon...

Always nice to hear comments like that from real life racers
Quote from Rudy van Buren :all i can say about 1.1 is that imo its the best ive ever driven, ffb , setups, everything is so acurate.

That comment alone is going to make me download the new version
Well there are real tracks, not laser scanned though...

It would be interesting to see Oran Park and Eastern Creek converted from rFactor over to nKp.
It would be interesting to get vallalunga for nkp, kunos already made it so...
Quote from NightShift :Well there are real tracks, not laser scanned though...

It would be interesting to see Oran Park and Eastern Creek converted from rFactor over to nKp.

Indeed

That might be enough to make me actually fire up the new NKP, given up with Sim Racing atm.
just got the demo and i pressed accidentaly one of the buttons above brake pedal config and now my brake pedal doesnt work in game. i also cant read either of the buttons does anyone know what they say . ill make a screenshot showing the buttons

EDIT: i made an arrow pointing to the problem
Attached images
problem.jpg
You've got the minimum and maximum travel settings on your brake as the same value That's why it doesn't work.

Dont know why it doesnt display properly, but the right hand box is SET MAX and the left it SET MIN

Press your brake full and hit set max, release it and hit set min.
ahhhhhh damn me pressing random buttons. thanks for the help
Quote from 5haz :That can be adjusted.

Having quite a bit of trouble with the latest version, very wierd shadow bug and my PC reboots after synchronising with an online server, are these well known bugs?

I had some shadow bugs with 1.1, installed latest ATI driver and solved the issue. I had my car shadow displayed everywhere.
Well, I haven't touched NetLar Pro for a long time, but I find that it is still as annoying as it always has been - sure the G25 has 900* of rotation, but if the car does not have 900* of rotation it should automatically compensate for that, LFS does this fine, I didn't notice a problem when I tried out iRacing for a month, and rFactor adjusts as well, however to make a simple turn in NetKar I need to turn the G25 207* left or right. I've played with all settings, and they don't have an effect that I can actually see.

On the other hand, the FFB issue has been worked out, which I am glad to see. In previous versions the wheel would jerk from side to side making it impossible to play in the first place.
-
(obsolum) DELETED by obsolum
Quote from blackbird04217 :Well, I haven't touched NetLar Pro for a long time, but I find that it is still as annoying as it always has been - sure the G25 has 900* of rotation, but if the car does not have 900* of rotation it should automatically compensate for that, LFS does this fine, I didn't notice a problem when I tried out iRacing for a month, and rFactor adjusts as well, however to make a simple turn in NetKar I need to turn the G25 207* left or right. I've played with all settings, and they don't have an effect that I can actually see.

this seems to be finally fixed in 1.1, at least i had no probs with my g27.
Quote from three_jump :this seems to be finally fixed in 1.1, at least i had no probs with my g27.

and no problem here with my DFGT..
I think i actually even could enjoy nkp driving at this point (apart from the whole HMI design), but sadly I'm not interested in single seaters...
You're right it did seem to fix it... Strange, it took me a moment to really figure out what the '887' meant when I setup the wheel. It shouldn't ask the user to turn the wheel 90* because looking at my wheel it was at perfect 90* and registered 887. After I moved the number to 900, as it should be, it worked a helluva lot better. By far the most playable NteKar Pro version I've tried.

Still quite annoyed about the stupid interface, leaving the game/track and reloading it constantly while trying to get setup. And it doesn't support my native resolution, so it seems it doesn't poll DirectX for available resolution sizes. (1680x1050 or tripled to 5040x1050 w/ SoftTH) I've been looking at the _many_ .ini's inside cfg and can't seem to find out how to set it up that way either.

It is more playable than it had been in the past, but still has a ways to go in my opinion.
-
(NightShift) DELETED by NightShift : too late
Seriously, there is vey little wrong with the out-of-car UI. It is as simple as can be and from launch to driving is only what, 3 layers away. Seriously, the design is just fine.

The pitbox menu needs some fixing though.
There is very little wrong with usability in the sense of the UI. However, in LFS you can change graphical options, and see the results immediately. I understand this is no easy task from the coding side, I've had issues myself here. However it is possible, and more user friendly when the user can change any option, and immediately see the results without needing to restart, load a track/level and get to a point where they can compare the results... Likely by that time they forgot the previous visuals.

iRacing was a pain, I never got it setup in 3 monitors because of this style of UI. It is too much of a hassle to reload the entire game and track just to see if it is working yet. Only to find out you need to restart again. Granted, the loading process for NetKar has been a little better, though it is still the annoying process, and I have yet to try setting up my three monitors there - just since I haven't really played it for more than two hours.

Is there anything directly wrong with the UI? No, you can setup the audio, visual and control options quite well - although some visual options (my native screen resolution) does not exist and is a flaw with that part of the UI. Though it is usable, easy to understand. It is just a pain in the butt.

So I agree, there is very little wrong with the actual interface, besides the fact that it is outside the game and it requires several steps to get launched. This comes with one positive, it makes you feel more like you are about to go to the track for a weekend / test day, but it comes at an inconvenience of quickly hopping in a car, or setting things up to perform exactly how you want. I mean, think of it this way: On track going around turn-1 and you realize the engine noise is too loud. You need to leave just to change the sound settings. Come back and now its too quiet. Immediate feedback while changing options is good, at the cost of development time and preparation.
Quote from lovretta :I had some shadow bugs with 1.1, installed latest ATI driver and solved the issue. I had my car shadow displayed everywhere.

Thanks, thats that problem solved.
Quote from blackbird04217 :There is very little wrong with usability in the sense of the UI. However, in LFS you can change graphical options, and see the results immediately. I understand this is no easy task from the coding side, I've had issues myself here. However it is possible, and more user friendly when the user can change any option, and immediately see the results without needing to restart, load a track/level and get to a point where they can compare the results... Likely by that time they forgot the previous visuals.

iRacing was a pain, I never got it setup in 3 monitors because of this style of UI. It is too much of a hassle to reload the entire game and track just to see if it is working yet. Only to find out you need to restart again.

I think LFS may be unique in how much you can configure while still inside the active game. Particularly for graphical settings I can't recall another game that doesn't require a reload.

Historically the complaints about the UI were centered around the design, so wanted to clarify.
Off the top of my head I can't recall many games the actually go through the trouble with allowing the device properties to change, while remaining in game - like LFS does. Things like changing certain texture options, screen resolution, and some other specific settings require textures to be reloaded, or at least resent to the graphics card. MOST games and applications do not do this, they typically require a restart. This restart is not a requirement as you can see, LFS handles this without restarting, but it would add more work to the developers to keep it cleaning doing so.

I strive for the level of quality that Scawen, Victor and Eric have with their project. It amazes me how simple, yet very very effective it is.
Got in some more seat time with it, this time on Newbury with F1600. I upped the caster to 5 (4 is default) and it does feel a lot better that way. Adjusted the final drive with everything else as default.

The experience was a lot more positive this time around (for whatever combination of reasons), and I found myself getting nicely sucked into lapping around. In terms of sliding around I'm still finding that to recover from a slide of any real significance you need to input a lot of throttle, and the car stays in 'state=oversteer' longer than expected if you don't. Counter-steering seems more effective now (previously it put you MORE into a spin) which is great.

If anyone wants to put me in my place by telling that's how it really is in real life, then that's more than fine by me.

I'm enjoying having to heel-toe now because of the increased engine braking. I hope they don't dumb that down.
Quote from blackbird04217 :It shouldn't ask the user to turn the wheel 90* because looking at my wheel it was at perfect 90* and registered 887. After I moved the number to 900, as it should be, it worked a helluva lot better.

I have to agree on that. The first time I tried the 1.1 beta I had a hard time getting the wheel properly set up. I have no clue why it asks the user to turn the wheel 90°, that's retarded IMO. Other than that I can't really think of any other complaints I had. Haven't tried the RC, though.

Pity I don't like openwheelers more.

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG