The online racing simulator
Insurance for a test-drive
(60 posts, started )
Quote from Crashgate3 :If you've said you're not commuting (I'm not planning to commute in the car when I get it) and you just happen to do it *once* and have an accident, are you knackered, or would you be able to get them to pay out if you could prove that you usually used other means to get to work?

I found this quote for you:

Quote :
"One reason insurers need to know if you use your car for commuting is that by leaving [it] in a public place it is at greater risk from theft or damage," said Thompson.
"In this example, by not disclosing the right information to your insurer about your journey to work, your policy will be invalid and in the event of submitting a claim the insurer is under no obligation to settle the claim."

Even if it wasn't a lie, its a reason for them not to pay out. Most likely in this case they will probably pay a third party if one is involved, but it will a reduced claim still meaning you have to splash up the rest.

An insurer...no matter what insurance...will try and find a way out of paying for a claim.
Quote from danthebangerboy :I know lol, was only joking, its kinda hard to shake off the image of the older kia's i guess, the same as skoda's, new ones are good, but old ones looked and were a bit shite, but not now.

You can't mix Skoda and Kia in the same boat. Skoda is a Passat with another badge, and a Kia is..... well..... A Kia... I'd sooner have a 110s rally car then a Kia Pride that looks like a banger!
Quote from Jakg :When I renewed last year I did *everything* to get the cost down, such as swapping named drivers around etc

When my Dad got the quote for the insurance he put in 15kpa miles via a comparison site - I probably went over this in the first year so asked how much more it would cost to go up to 20k - they said £100. I asked how much to 30k - £100. I asked how much to 10k - £100. At this point I asked wtf was going on and they said there was no limit on my policy at all - if I added one they would "re-assess my risk" and so the policy would increase... The guy on the phone advised I should just leave it as any ammendment I make gives me a limit and I need to pay more...

Reminds me - need to see how much "for business use" would add to my policy...

Just reminded me today when I was quoting a woman's son, I normally say when we come out expensive try Quinn as they were our main competitors. She said she had already tried them as her other son was with them, however they have gone into liquidation in the UK so now are back to being for Ireland (republic) only.

It says on their website that existing policies are fine, I am pretty sure they still have to offer you a renewal but at what price I have no idea.
#54 - Jakg
They are meant to be no longer accepting new business but they still are sort of ish.

All policies will be continued, however. The Wira is still insured, tho, and I was going to cancel the policy when it sells and get a rebate (~£450), but I can't see that happening now :/
Nah they'll still have to honour what they agree in the T&C originally, the reason they have gone into liquidation is pretty much a direct "do this" from the Irish Financial Regulator which after reading what this;

Quote :The Financial Regulator was established on 1 May 2003 following a government decision to set up the Central Bank of Ireland as the Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland

So as I see it, Quinn posed an indirect effect to Ireland's economy forcing a decision from this entity to close it's business in the UK.
Eep. I hope they do let you renew, otherwise my insurance will go way up when the policy runs out next year, unless I can find another cheap-as-chips provider by then.

Incidentally, when I went for the test drive I mentioned in the OP, he did let me take it out on my own, and asked if I was insured. I just said 'yes'.
#57 - Migz
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Well my uncle has said he has a policy where if he gives someone permission to drive the vehicle somewhere they're covered. But i doubt this, best to check with the garage before you go, ive never been on a test drive but i doubt they let you drive it on your own? Not worth the hassle really, quite alot of them will let you have some fun anyway

Nope he probably does.
A friend of mine works at a biker showroom and the policy he has means he's insured for ANY motorbike and ANY car.
And all his family (wife, mum, dad, sister, brother & kids) are instantly insured.
And even friends are insured if he says so.
For example once im 17 if i pass my test, i can simply say to him "Will you agree to me driving my car under your policy?" if he says yes then i can then drive my car insured under his policy. I wouldn't even have to pay for my own insurance.
#58 - Jakg
Be very very very careful.

If it's a trade policy, it sort of works like that - but it's only for business use. If you crash and the insurance company find out you have nothing to do with the business the odds of them paying out are slim
Quote from spacedskunk :Driving on the left goes back to when we rode around in horses because the average right hander mounts a horse from the left side, so they used to ride on the left side too and its just staying with cars

that's cool I never knew that
#60 - Migz
Quote from Jakg :Be very very very careful.

If it's a trade policy, it sort of works like that - but it's only for business use. If you crash and the insurance company find out you have nothing to do with the business the odds of them paying out are slim

This is true, which is why i plan on insuring myself anyway.
I just may not for a week or two if i need a bit of extra time to get the money for it.

Insurance for a test-drive
(60 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG