The online racing simulator
"Fix your connection"
(20 posts, started )
"Fix your connection"
Hi!

Just been playing a bit of online Kyoto ring, and was told to "fix my connection" by an admin. I wasn't sure what to do here, so logged out and back in again, to try again. I was told it still wasn't fixed and I'd be facing a ban if I didn't fix it, so I logged out.
I'm using a decent PC, with a solid wireless connection to a 2.2Mbps broadband line, and the race had a ping of about 35.
What do I need to do?

Thanks
Quote from af3blue :Hi!

Just been playing a bit of online Kyoto ring, and was told to "fix my connection" by an admin. I wasn't sure what to do here, so logged out and back in again, to try again. I was told it still wasn't fixed and I'd be facing a ban if I didn't fix it, so I logged out.
I'm using a decent PC, with a solid wireless connection to a 2.2Mbps broadband line, and the race had a ping of about 35.
What do I need to do?

Thanks

Try connecting directly instead of using wireless. I've seen the wireless signals to cause issues.
Quote from af3blue :Hi!

What do I need to do?

Thanks

You were probably lagging to others or to admin thats why he suggested it to you.
Check if you dont have in windows checked searching for other networks,it can create LAG on your side every few minutes.
Are you using Wireless net connection or Wireless router connected to cable,xDSL internet line?
Check also your packet loss.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Are you using Wireless net connection or Wireless router connected to cable,xDSL internet line?
Check also your packet loss.

I'm using a wireless link to a router that's wired into the phoneline.
How do I check my packet loss, please?

Thanks

@Mischief007, I'll try connecting wired, but that's really a last resort as I have to run the cable through 3 rooms to reach a phone socket. Wireless connection travels through one wall, literally 1 foot from router to reciever, with a thin wall between.
Quote from af3blue :I'm using a wireless link to a router that's wired into the phoneline.
How do I check my packet loss, please?

Thanks

Hi,
The best one for checking packet loss would be program callend Pingplotter.You can find that using google

The quickest way but not the most accurate is trying the following:

1) Press "START" and then "Run.."
2) type in "CMD" and press enter
3) then write in command line like "ping -n 50 www.google.com.uk"

You should then see a small test running and it will show you at the end number of lost packets and min,max,average ping.

Then post your results.

P.S:by the chance didnt you run any programm in background when playing LFS which also connect to the internet?
Pingplotter gave me a "Round trip" total of between 38 and 91 (did it a couple of times). Is that what you're after?
Come to think of it MSN may have been logged in in the background, but I'm not sure on that.

Cheers
Quote from af3blue :Pingplotter gave me a "Round trip" total of between 38 and 91 (did it a couple of times). Is that what you're after?
Come to think of it MSN may have been logged in in the background, but I'm not sure on that.
Cheers

hmm...your ping jumping a bit.I have between 2x to 4x.I was refering more to packet lost.Did you get any(check the red part on my pic as it should show you your packet loss)?
Attached images
ping.gif
I didn't lose any packets, but my minimum was 89, and maximum was 2639!!! Average = 181.
Quote from af3blue :I didn't lose any packets, but my minimum was 89, and maximum was 2639!!! Average = 181.

Thats really,really bad.Try just for a test connect your PC directly to router without using wireless connection and try such a tests again.If its still same there is probably something wrong with internet line and I would call your ISP.
Hope your internet line its not oversubscribed.
OK, I'll do a wired test later on tonight. Thanks very much for your help, I appreciate it!!!

Will let you know how I get on with the wired test in 2 hours time.
Quote from af3blue :with a solid wireless connection to a 2.2Mbps broadband line,

There are two issues here:

1) how much of this bandwidth is used by other users -or you- in your LAN

2) how much upload b/w you've got.

If you have an assymetric line, such as ADSL, and the upload b/w is something like 384 kbps, and some people in your lan are sending out something or you have set up servers, then:

- everything will look fine to you (because downstream is okey)
- your upload will be worse, and you will look very very laggy to others.

BTW I have ADSL 384/128, and with only 128 kbps upload, if my brother, say, starts uploading a file, then upload AND download are affected and I start lagging a lot.

With assymetric lines, it's pretty easy to have problems. If you have ADSL, focus on the upload b/w.
What can I do to check my upload speed?

Done a wired test - 88min, 108max, 94 average.
Quote from af3blue :What can I do to check my upload speed?

Done a wired test - 88min, 108max, 94 average.

Looks better but not the best.I live far away from your country and get 2-3x lower ping to your country server but still with sucha result you would hardly have any lag.

Looks there are 2 possibilities:

1) Lost of signal thru wall using wireless

2) Is someone using your internet line in your home as well?If,yes this will affect your ping to servers therefore you migh lagging in games.
Also as the guy decribed above if you have like 2Mbit/512kbit and almost fully using your upload then your ping will be affect as well.

Its a problem of TCP/IP protocol how it works and it cant be changed:-(.

When your racing nobody else should using internet and basically nothing uploading at all.
I think it could just be his connection. My connection was like that about a month ago, and randomly it would spike at really high pings, and it would cause some online play in LFS to look really really bad.

Also, you might want to ping your modem/router/gateway (whatever you have) and see if that is consistent too. Because whether or not you are using wireless, what if your equipment isn't responding or performing very well. (like if you are 192.168.0.10, ping 192.168.0.1 (gateway varies for other networks)).

But I still think this sounds like your internet connection, or possibly something that is in use on your PC (virus?) or like what #2 says above.
As a comparison, pinging to www.google.co.uk

Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 13ms

It would be a good check to see if anybody else is using the connection. Ping times are quite high for you though so it may be your ISP as well.
#16 - stay
There are so many different links between you and the server, any of which could be increased ping times and/or packet loss.
The wireless link, the phone line, congestion at BT's phone exchange, your ISP cramming too many customers into its available bandwidth/iinfrastructure, a dodgy internet router somewhere along the path to the server.

To check if your wireless link is causing problems, just ping your router from the wirelessly connected PC.

eg ping -n 50 10.0.0.2 (or whatever the IP of your router is)

If the wireless link isn't being used much, the pings should be in the order of a couple of mS at the most with no large fluctuations.
Having looked at the previous posts and downloaded pingplotter I attach the results. As far as I can tell I have CRAP connection – would you agree?
Can’t quite understand what the results are telling me

Can anyone explain in simple terms?illepall
Attached images
pplot.JPG
#18 - stay
High latency figures numbers for LAN connection, those. Especially if the connection is otherwise unused at the time.

Your own network cards (192.168.1.10) response time should be sub 1ms.
I havn't read every single reply so sorry if this has been said, but some wireless routers are not very good for online gaming because of variable ping rates.

Most wireless routers which suffer this problem can be updated with a "firmware" update, which can usually be downloaded and installed from the manufacturers website or from your routers admin page.

Another thing to look out for on XP or 2000 is DNS Client in your services list (right click my computer and goto manage, then goto the services section and disable this). It can cause intermittant lag issues, particularly if you have what is called a hosts file (search Wikipedia for an explanation, but otherwise dont worry about what a hosts file is).
Also, you mentioned you get 35 FPS on-line. What do you get off-line? That should be your target. I only mention it because if you only get 35 FPS off-line then it isn't your connection at all. I know this is obvious but you know what they say - assumption is the mother of all f*** ups.

"Fix your connection"
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG