The online racing simulator
McLaren MP4-12C
(92 posts, started )
I saw an XJ220 on the public roads for the first time a few months ago (outside my local Indian Takeaway!), and couldn't believe how wide it was. I've seen them in shows, and on tracks, but never realised they were that wide relative to normal roads. A brave man to tootle around Norwich in it.
Quote from Crashgate3 :
Quote from RealDriftForLife :Mclaren MP4-12c looks like the new Ferrari 458 Italia

I find all supercars look exactly the same these days.

One of the biggest problems car designers have is to design cars for people with no idea about design. :doh: The worst thing is that we can not ignore them because in the end they're the customers...
It's been said in this thread already - wind tunnels and downforce are to blame. The designers need the air to pass over the car in a certain shape to minimize drag and maximize downforce, so it's inevitable that eventually all cars around a certain power level are going to adopt similar shapes.

You need the engine in the middle? Then you need to cover the lump behind the seats. And you need ventilation.
You need a certain amount of crumple space? Then you need that amount of cage at the front.
You need rear visibility? Then you need a certain sized window at the back.

Like stones in a river - they all end up round and flat eventually because that's the way the water goes.
#80 - JJ72
A racing conversion is like a boob job, any car can have one and make it look impressive, whether it looks nice is another matter......

still looks like a very generic car to me, better without the bumper grill thingy though.
#84 - senn
oh god this is going to keep me occupied for a while :P
Thats better than most games have.

Very nice.
#86 - senn
hah it doesn't seem to give you a price (i don't know if it will if i register, i can't be bothered) be interested to know how much it is standard vs custom..
All the people who says the McLaren is similar to the ferrari is right,
both car have been designed by the same man whose name is Frank Stephenson (who I met in real life).
Before going to McLaren he was working in Ferrari/Fiat.
So his experience and style reflected in both cars, and probably he used some tricks learnt in Ferrari too!
Quote from tristancliffe :I loved the look for the 458 in the press photos. But since seeing it in other road test photos I've decided it's actually a bit of a minger. Shame, because I really did think it looked stunning.

+1 i started going off ferrari's when they suddenly decided that they couldn't actually make the rear lights fit without having half of them protruding above the rear pannel line. when companies start doing that then they start to look to me like they are borrowing lights off other cars or are cheap kit cars, some of the late TVRs had the same effect, the lights looked like the fit was bodged rather than following the lines of the car.

ironically the aston DB7 used lights off the scirrocco and 928 yet managed to make them look like they were purpose made, same with the TVR that used inverted cavalier rear lights or the original shape esprite with either x1/9 or SD1 rear lights.

also the little flips on the rear quarters of the 458 and those air intakes at the front just look like afterthoughts almost as if the original shape didn't cut the mustard in the aero stability or cooling depts.
Quote from Asphalt Scream :....both car have been designed by the same man whose name is Frank Stephenson (who I met in real life).....

Do you mean the Ferrari 458 Italia? Because that one was designed by Carlo Palazzani (who's my teacher )
Quote from NitroNitrous :Do you mean the Ferrari 458 Italia? Because that one was designed by Carlo Palazzani (who's my teacher )

Sorry, that was the F430.
Anyway design solutions in development while still in Ferrari probably were used to draw the lines of the new Mclaren

Now that I think of it, our locations are reversed! I'm Italian living in Spain wile you re Spanish living in Italy, how funny.
Quote from Asphalt Scream :Sorry, that was the F430.
Anyway design solutions in development while still in Ferrari probably were used to draw the lines of the new Mclaren

Now that I think of it, our locations are reversed! I'm Italian living in Spain wile you re Spanish living in Italy, how funny.

True
The McLaren has definitely some Pininfarina influence, since Donato Pacella worked in the interior of that car (Designer of the Alfa Romeo 2uettottanta)
im mixed, it looks nice, stylish imho, and comfortable and looks like you could 'cruise' if you wanted. but then it looks too fast, and performance rated to be fun. it seems if you try to get the rear end out a little in a corner it will just go instead of being fun...cant explain it

then i hate paddle shifters, dont ask, i just love my H-pattern, or even atleast straight up sequential. paddle i feel is just not fun

McLaren MP4-12C
(92 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG