The online racing simulator
Serious FPS problem
(28 posts, started )
Serious FPS problem
Ok, im so confused right now, because i quited lfs about 3 years ago..and it was running normal..when i went to play again, the fps was so low O_o like when i get the camera inside the car i get low fps..even outside i cant play like i used to play ...i dont know if its because of the new stuff it was added to the game like crash colisions or new graphics...etc

Just saying that in the past i played normal and now i can't even play it..:cry:

some info on my system:
Pentium(R) 4 SP3
CPU 3.00 GHz
504 MB Ram, ( going to buy a 1 Gb ram soon)
Name of Motherboard: ASRock 775i65GV
DirectX: 9.0c
Video: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller (96 MB) ( Can't afford a new one)
3D acelerator: Intel Extreme Graphics 2

it realy sucks to know that i could play it and now i can't..
How long has it been since you last formatted your computer? Have you formatted and reinstalled everything before?

It sounds like you have had this PC for quite sometime, and you are experiencing a whole bunch of build up causing slow downs.
it's the onboard graphics.
If he was able to play normally before he should still be able to play now. Also the game itself has not changed.
Yes it has, vertex shading is now used for many objects and the number of shadows displayed has been increased, just two things that I can think of ATM that would affect the performance negatively on onboard chips.
#6 - Woz
Quote from Krypto1 :Ok, im so confused right now, because i quited lfs about 3 years ago..and it was running normal..when i went to play again, the fps was so low O_o like when i get the camera inside the car i get low fps..even outside i cant play like i used to play ...i dont know if its because of the new stuff it was added to the game like crash colisions or new graphics...etc

Just saying that in the past i played normal and now i can't even play it..:cry:

some info on my system:
Pentium(R) 4 SP3
CPU 3.00 GHz

While it does not look it there have been enough changes in the 3 years that your hardware is no longer up to it.

Your Intel GFX is the issue. The ram prob also an issue, depends what is installed, running on your machine.
Just some info that might shed some light.

One of the LFS versions (Y or V - I forget) there was some increases in the maximum limits of "Level of Detail" settings because PC's had moved along a bit from 2003. So basically if you had a good PC you could push the detail up further.

This means that if you used to run at 1.00 User Level Of Detail, you had to turn it back down to 0.8 User LOD to see the same performance.

The option for "simple wheels" was removed so you need to take that into account and reduce the User LOD further.

Also the hardware vertex shading option was removed for various reasons which effects a lot of on-board graphics cards, although I think it is set to do that as default now. ??

To run LFS on such old hardware you will have to turn everything down, even down to 800x600x16, no AA, no AF, user/mirror/dust LOD to lowest possible, no haze, sky off, flags/rubber/trees/shadow all to OFF, compressed skins, low res textures and see what you can do from there. Also in MISC menu - Dynamic LOD reduction at highest reduction (1.0).
Even try Z -Buffer down from 24 to 16, (requires LFS restart), but this setting may or may not help at all.
Quote from Krypto1 :Ok, im so confused right now, because i quited lfs about 3 years ago..and it was running normal..when i went to play again, the fps was so low O_o like when i get the camera inside the car i get low fps..even outside i cant play like i used to play ...i dont know if its because of the new stuff it was added to the game like crash colisions or new graphics...etc

some info on my system:
Pentium(R) 4 SP3
CPU 3.00 GHz

Get a new system, your computer is severely outdated. today's 3.Ghz cpu's are up to 8 times faster.
You are using onboard graphics, avoid onboard graphiccards at all times for gaming! I recommend against buying anything new for such a old system.

I understand you don't have the money for upgrades, well... it looks like you need to start saving money then
Quote from Bluebird B B :Get a new system, your computer is severely outdated. today's 3.Ghz cpu's are up to 8 times faster.

his cpu is okay... my prescott 3.0E works just fine...
The cheapest agp (i assume) second hand video card will be an improvement, like even a geforce 4 TI or ati 9600pro, they can't go for more than 20 euro second hand. That should make things nice and playable.
20 euro for THAT?

Here you can get second-hand GeForce 7600GS (AGP) for €15.
Quote from Shadowww :20 euro for THAT?

Here you can get second-hand GeForce 7600GS (AGP) for €15.

Thats what im using atm and get 90-120 fps with a few cars on screen and 4xAA@ 1280x1024. About 25-30fps at back of full grid...
Looks like i have to buy a whole new pc?
At least a new graphics card , and memory..i'm saving to buy new ram its like 29.99 € and i dont know where i can purchase those second hand video cards..
how much RAM does lfs actually use? play it in a window and do control/alt/del, see in the taskmanager.. there is no need for 'more' memory than ' enough memory'.

I bet just a cheap 2nd hand 3d card will make LFS 'ok' on your pc. Ebay?
#15 - joli
It could be your driver (heh). Your 82865G card driver might have been updated by Auto Updates. mine was and 1 of my old games stopped working completely so i have to roll back to play it now. check Intel's site for the latest drivers, i updated mine and got a few fps out of it.

I have the same intel integrated graphics and struggle to get more than 20-30fps in a race but i find this is playable. If u have an agp slot (i dont) then get an agp card.

in the meantime, turn off every LFS graphics option, sky etc, LODs to minimum, texture filtering NONE and all mip bias to 0.00. textures & skins on low res/compressed. set ur screen to 16bit 60hz, z-buffer to 24, simple track off, v-sync on, limit fps to 58, min sleep 1ms, dynamic Lod red to 1 (max). All these things have helped me squeeze a few fps out of my ill-equipped dell.

Joli
Anti aliasing completely screws my FPS so turning that off should see results
OK, i have this weird FPS problem too,
First when i join some host i have 40 - 80 FPS, that depends on car amount,
i drive around and suddenly FPS has dropped to 20, and when i'm around cars it's 9, :S.
Other thing is that when i put my computer to stand by, then wake him up,
turn LFS on and start playing i have 30 - 40 FPS raceing witha a group of 11 cars.., but about 5 - 10 minutes later my PC overheats xD.

So i'd like to know what can i do in this situation, please do not suggest to lower down the resolution, i've tried it, same poop...

i think the main lame things you'd like to know about my computer are that it has:
NVidia G-force 5200 FX 128 MB
254 MB of RAM xP
Quote from kristis917 :but about 5 - 10 minutes later my PC overheats xD.

NVidia G-force 5200 FX 128 MB
254 MB of RAM xP

These are the main problems. Try puting your fans on highest or removing left panel of the PC, it can highly increase cooling.
You should also play LFS on all lowest settings on resolution of max 1024x768 or even 800x600.
EDIT: Isn't that 256MB of RAM, not 254?
Well, if you know that you PC overheats, you know what the problem is. Remove any dust from CPU heatsink and make sure it's seated properly. Do not remove the heatsink itself unless you know how to reattach it and have some thermal grease available.
Quote from MadCatX :Well, if you know that you PC overheats, you know what the problem is. Remove any dust from CPU heatsink and make sure it's seated properly. Do not remove the heatsink itself unless you know how to reattach it and have some thermal grease available.

Thanx a bunch, now i have about 30 FPS around 11 cars, and 60 - 70 when i'm alone in a full server x], and i also learned how to remove and reattach the heatsink too.x] THANK YOU !
#21 - d6nn
hey, i've got a fps problem as well. i was playing fine when running windows xp earlier. but now i have windows 7 and when playing with lots of racers and especialy south city, im getting bout 20 fps. im using the same computer and the same settings as earlier but just with windows 7. anyone?
#22 - 65D
Quote from d6nn :hey, i've got a fps problem as well. i was playing fine when running windows xp earlier. but now i have windows 7 and when playing with lots of racers and especialy south city, im getting bout 20 fps. im using the same computer and the same settings as earlier but just with windows 7. anyone?

Your computer specs would help ...

And how many FPS did you get on XP?
#24 - d6nn
i used to get 80-100 fps on the xp. now ive gone down a lot in settings but still get occasional 30 fps when driving within reach of other racers.
specs : Intel duo core 2 ghz
RAM: 1gb
Graphics: Nvidia 9600 GS 256mb
btw its a laptop.
ive also tried ending explorer.exe and setting affinity to cpu1 instead of both.
Maybe the 3D desktop and LFS is too much for your laptop?

I can find no other reason

Serious FPS problem
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG