The online racing simulator
$500 Craigslist car gets 3rd place at WRC Mexico
I am not a fan of the "How A $500 Craigslist Car Beat $400K Rally Racers" headline as that's not really what happened, but it is an awesome story.
That's a great read, really cool intersting stuff and a nice FU to FIA
Thats brilliant!

The guy is amazing.
Quote from UncleBenny :I am not a fan of the "How A $500 Craigslist Car Beat $400K Rally Racers" headline as that's not really what happened, but it is an awesome story.

Well, he beat all but two of them. :P
#6 - hp999
Hehe nice story,you don't need to own an expensive car to beat an expensive car afterall.
Badass story.
#8 - amp88
3rd in class.. what class was it they competed in, I missed it
Quote from hp999 :Hehe nice story,you don't need to own an expensive car to beat an expensive car afterall.

but if you did it makes driving easier
More clarification: "Okay. He didn't get 3rd place in a WRC event. He got 3rd place in the G2 class of the Rally America event being held at the same time as the WRC event, but Rally America Mexico (not to be confused with Rally America, the US Rallying Championship) doesn't have the G2 class, so they raced as a "open" N class car. He did indeed place third in the Rally America N Class, and 4th overall -- an A8 machine won the RA Overall"
Anyone have official results documentation to verify this?
That is a pretty awesome story. Wish I had the balls, time, and mechanical knowledge to do that.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Yeah, I know. Just having some fun.

For those not in the know, he was competing in the Rally America event alongside guys like Ken Block and Travis Pastrana.

Ken Block IS actually competing in the WRC this year, Mexico was his first event and I'm pretty sure he crashed out.

I can't find any actual results for the Rally America event, best I could find is this: http://www.rallymexico.com/content.php?page=rally%20America

But there are no final results that I see there. I have no doubt that he finished 3rd in his class though, just didn't happen against the WRC guys obviously. And still its an awesome story regardless of where he finished, I mean to run a full rally with no help whatsoever is amazing. Just reading how all the Mexican fans were cheering for him was awesome too. If I could accomplish even a fraction of what Caswell did, I could die a happy man.
Quote from UncleBenny :Ken Block IS actually competing in the WRC this year, Mexico was his first event and I'm pretty sure he crashed out.

On the second day, though the super rally rules let him run the third day for constructor's points IIRC. I'm not sure how that rule works, though, and I haven't been able to turn up any information in my, literally, minutes of searching.
Absolutely epic write-up, so he was 3rd in Rally America class, and would have been 23rd in WRC, beating two WRC machines (is there a overall ranking somewhere?)

reminds me of Andrew Burton with his Opel DTM V6 powered AWD tube-f ... s Peugeot 306 body shell

Quote from ACCAkut :Absolutely epic write-up, so he was 3rd in Rally America class, and would have been 23rd in WRC, beating two WRC machines (is there a overall ranking somewhere?)

Here.
Quote from MadCat360 :Here.

well thats only a ranking of the WRCs. But was it only WRC and Rally America (no PWRC, JWRC etc, no results online for those) then he indeed took 23rd overall.
#21 - w126
Quote from MadCat360 :There are, TC 22 America and scroll down.

If they were competing in WRC, their final time would've put them 24th out of 26 WRC cars (25 WRC cars competed).

You mean these 25 cars? http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.j ... son=2010&rally_id=MEX
These are not all WRC cars. The last 2 are Peugeot 206 XS in A6 class (FWD with probably not much more than 150 hp).
Entry list: http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.j ... son=2010&rally_id=MEX
Did they even run on the same stages exactly? Does comparing the total times make any sense?
Awesome story. Thanks DWB.
wow thats just awesome, gives me so much motivation to get my own e30 project done when this 347203987 economic crisis ends

and gotta love his attitude too

btw i believe this had cost him much more than 500 dolla, still nowhere near wrc standards, however must have been at least 5 grand more up to 10
Hell yeah! Bimmer power! So much win :clapclap:
The money he would of got would probably be more then he spent on the car.

$500 Craigslist car gets 3rd place at WRC Mexico
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG