The online racing simulator
Racing head to head only
(23 posts, started )
Racing head to head only
When I say "head to head" I mean just two racers who don't want anyone else on the track. When LFS2 came out it was a simple thing to make a secret host name and also a secret password and then just choose any track and any car. About two years back a patch came out which nullified this set up. Suddenly we lost this ideal arrangement. We were directed to use a facility called "post forwarding" but nobody was able to clearly set out what this was.
We're still in the dark.
Does the function to have a race with a host name nominated still require post forwarding. This mysterious process remains the barrier to enjoying LFS.
Can someone please spell out in simple terms just what is involved?
Regards
do you mean PORT forwarding?

if so just search for a thread about setting up a host on your computer, it is not difficult, all you need is to follow instructions

and the whole thing is more related to general internet security than LFS itself

simple search and 15 minutes of reading and following simple steps will solve all your problems
portforward.com

And I am going to disagree with the part where it is not difficult, I've done quite a bit of network programming with TCP and UDP protocols, and know some, though not everything about how things work. However, I can _not_ get my connection to forward my port properly, and I've put in plenty of effort trying. I believe it may be ISP related, though I can't prove that.

I don't see how it would have changed on the LFS side of things, the port forwarding would always have been necessary unless the group was on a LAN. I do believe, though I am completely willing, (and wanting), to be corrected: that using a router behind your modem is what causes you to need port forwarding; so that the router knows which computer to send the incoming packets to. It is not hard to follow the directions to enable port forwarding, but I have yet to get them to work for me.
Hi peejayh

I don't mean to be disrespectful here, but I remember more than one thread from you in the past asking technical assistance on this matter, presumably both without success (as BlackBird says, this does not always go as smoothly for some people as others, perhaps you are just unfortunate). I can only assume you switched from being plugged straight into a modem to being behind a router at some point, which is when this extra complication was required for youself.

Last time I checked there were plenty of empty servers you could use that would serve as a near private server, as chances are you could race for a while without having anyone join in. Many servers will let you change the track, so just find an empty one that runs the sort of cars you are interested in racing that evening. This could serve as a reasonable alternative until you can find some local whizkid to come round and solve your configuration woes.
#5 - pipa
Thanks Bob, you are right - I did try and after trying to get to grips with this port forwarding but after a few months gave up. The collapse of this convenient (for us) arrangement did coincide with a new patch coming into play. I can't remember which one. Now the person joining comes up with a message that the host was not recognized.
Now we have revived our desire to dive into LFS again (after nearly a year out - doesn't time fly) and are set on trying to make sense of port forwarding finally.
We both use routers.
I'm in England, my brother is in France.
Both got Vista.
Two year old machines.
Both got the recent patches OK.
If you could advise me how to "grab" a server for our sole use you could find yourself added to our Christmas card list. There, what could be nicer than that?!!
Quote from blackbird04217 :portforward.com

And I am going to disagree with the part where it is not difficult, I've done quite a bit of network programming with TCP and UDP protocols, and know some, though not everything about how things work. However, I can _not_ get my connection to forward my port properly, and I've put in plenty of effort trying. I believe it may be ISP related, though I can't prove that.

with your problem I would suggest calling your ISP and simply ask for help, even if you simply missed something on your end than talking to someone who understands the problem may really help, maybe it the ISP itself, maybe it's your router that is causing problems, in both cases they should be able to help you

and by saying it is not difficult I made a general assumption that you are at least familiar with home networking basics, and your network conditions are "standard" ones
Blimey Pandera, that was quick. you must have been breathing down my neck as I typed!!
Sorry Pandera, i should have added, that I'm not familiar with home networking basics but my router is purely standard and i have never sought to alter it in any way. (Other than give it well meaning kick if it won't connect me....)
What router do you have? I'm sure we can help set it up for you. You could even turn on remote administration and one of us could set up the correct port forwarding for you.
That's what I like about this forum . There are so many helpful people. I'm the wannabee racer in France by the way. LFS is a brilliant racing sim, far too good to be called a mere game. I have to say though I'd love to see the inclusion of some prototypes like the Peugeot and the Audi turbodiesels and a Le Mans type track to race them on ,Bathurst in Australia,now that WOULD be good.
Yeah - a few of us have been waiting for prototypes for quite some time now
Quote from pipa :If so, just change the ports.

Already tried that, still no results. As suggested I should call them, maybe next week when the ISP fails for whatever reason. In the 5 months we've had this service we've made over 30 calls. And customer support, well it is a joke to call it support.

#14 - pipa
Quote from blackbird04217 :Already tried that, still no results. As suggested I should call them, maybe next week when the ISP fails for whatever reason. In the 5 months we've had this service we've made over 30 calls. And customer support, well it is a joke to call it support.

Afaik some providers block a few ports, mainly p2p ones. Those are only a few and i doubt the 63392 (lfs standard) has been used by any p2p program.

Chances are you might be doing something wrong.
I browsed through the piece on "port forwarding" in an attempt to solve the difficulty in getting two drivers on LFS to have access to a track limited only by knowing the right password. The website on port forwarding led me to a group who advertise a program called "pfconfig" and this, they claim, takes away all the responsibilities so that a "join-up" will be happily provided.
Has anyone any knowledge or experience of this program?
It sounds ideal if it does what it claims.
I do not know the program
but if you go to LFSmanual, and chceck the host setting section you will find a link to portforward.com, and over there just find your router, choose LFS and you will get screenshots and description of required settings (I had no idea there is such a thing before) for free, it really should work if you follow the instructions over there
Quote from peejayh :I browsed through the piece on "port forwarding" in an attempt to solve the difficulty in getting two drivers on LFS to have access to a track limited only by knowing the right password. The website on port forwarding led me to a group who advertise a program called "pfconfig" and this, they claim, takes away all the responsibilities so that a "join-up" will be happily provided.
Has anyone any knowledge or experience of this program?
It sounds ideal if it does what it claims.

Port forwarding needs to be done from the gateway (router or PC depending on the network setup) itself, programs you run on your PC will do little to nopthing unless it's your gateway.

I would avoid installing any third party programs, you never know what they contain.

What Router have you got? Manufacturer and model number? Also, have you ever changed anything on the router (passwords, wireless networking, etc...)?
My router is
BT Voyager 220V ADSL Voice Router

Thanks for your advice I will investigate the "Gateway" thingy although I've heard it mentioned but never really understood the ins and outs of it.
I have been able to identify my router as
BT Voyager 220V ADSL Voice Router
(It was manufactured in China for BT).
There is no model number on it but an Item Code is 024888.
I did not know that the router had a password and so wouldn't know how to change it.
What is the Gateway?
How do I access it or know what it looks like?. Does it appear on my computer screen?

Regards
Quote from peejayh :How do I access it or know what it looks like?

Windows key + r
type cmd, hit enter
type ipconfig hit enter
look for default gateway, should be something like 192.168.2.1
type that address into your browser
#21 - troy
Quote from troy :If you didn't change the password so far it should still be the default one, check your manual for it, according to the portforward site it should be:

Username: admin
Password: admin

Portforwarding guide for your router:

http://portforward.com/english ... Live_For_Speed_Server.htm

Good luck

Exactly what I was going to post, Cheers Troy, have a beer.

@peejayh -
Be sure to check with BT that they don't block ports... BT do weird things to non-HTTP(S) ports during peak hours, like limiting speeds to 512kb/s, so check that port blocking isn't also part of their policy.
Thanks Kamrock, I'll certainly enquire of BT whether they have blocked any ports. Much obliged for the suggestion.

Racing head to head only
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG