The online racing simulator
Toyota recall
(108 posts, started )
#51 - senn
Quote from lap traffic nz :must be something with toyota at the moment, just a recall notice the other day for my 1991 surf (4runner) apparently the steering relay rod breaks without warning leaving you with no steering can't wait for that to happen...

so they're recalling a car for a part that at that age should probably have been replaced already? wow.
#52 - senn
Quote from Falcon140 :They tested it on the news a few days ago. It's something in the electrics that keeps the engine at high revs no matter what you do to the pedal. The test driver on the news tried using the brakes, but they couldn't hold it. He just popped it in neutral no problem, and turned the key. A little presence of mind would have saved many lives honestly.

$300 worth of electronics for throttle control might give better economy, but as i said before, i trust a $10 cable way more. Why is it we as a race can't see that building "smarter" electronics isn't the answer to everything. Just wait till they have self aware robots with guns on them...I can see the headlines now, 20 killed in friendly fire incident etc. Fantastic.
Quote :DETROIT — Toyota said it began shipping gas pedal parts to its dealers today for use in fixing the millions of cars and trucks recalled because of accelerators that could become stuck.

Toyota has not yet decided whether to repair the accelerators or replace them altogether.

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/714726
why they need to recall? Juht cut a piece of floormat under the accelator and Vola! its workin'
Quote from JuhaniuS :why they need to recall? Juht cut a piece of floormat under the accelator and Vola! its workin'

it's not the floormat, it's the gas pedal, or the throttle assembly.
Quote from Migz :My first reaction would be to hit the clutch.
Who cares if the engine blows, much rather that then driving off an intersection and killing my family.
Although im sure at some point i wouldv'e realised that turning the car off would stop it accelerating.

I bet it was a automatic transmission, so no clutch to hit...

But just turn the damn car off.
Quote from G!NhO :I bet it was a automatic transmission, so no clutch to hit...

But just turn the damn car off.

I'd rather have the brake booster working at the high speeds, so if the engine (finally) does kill itself by over-revving I should at least slowed down enough to be able to come to a stop without it...
too bad youll pump the brake servo empty just as much with the throttle wide open as you would with the engine off
Quote from bbman :I'd rather have the brake booster working at the high speeds, so if the engine (finally) does kill itself by over-revving I should at least slowed down enough to be able to come to a stop without it...

You've still got full power until you've released or pumped the brakes a few times.
#60 - Dmt
What is really amazing is that humans have made it this far without extinction from floor mats in the past. My 94 doesn't have hooks to hold the floor mat, nor has any other older vehicle I've owned ever had a hook. My 96 and all newer cars I've owned has had a hook for the floor mat.

I've been driving for 21 years, of which I've driven far more cars that had loose floor mats, and mats that were just generic purchased or even homemade from old household carpet, yet I've never died from a floor mat causing my throttle pedal to become stuck or even had my pedal stuck at all.

Now think about how long have cars been around. For about 100 years, we've had cars that probably for the most part have had floor mats in them. Now suddenly, for the last 10-15 years, we've had floor mats held in place with hooks and our species is dying at an alarming rate because of these hooks not effectively holding the floor mat in place.

Is this how it all ends in 2012 for mankind? Extinction by shifting floor mats?
Wtf, are the floor mats problem after all, or some electronics, i don't get it..
about that video
1) again youll lose brake servo pressure all the same with the engine racing on the limiter
2) with a fly by wire throttle if your really that worried about the brake servo your best bet is to turn the engine off (which should cause the electronics to shut the throttle... wont work on an older car obviously) and leave it in gear (plus youll also have the engine doing the braking for you)
3) how the hell can you be stupid enough to confuse the brake and the throttle pedal?
I disagree with drive-by wire in general. I just don't see anything that has been gained from it. Same with push button start. Just put the damn key in the ignition and turn, how is that so difficult.
I've been saying for years that the drive-by-wire stuff isn't going to be good.
benz has this problem too,on never cars with the electric shifters. i knew some1,older lady with an ML who got run over by her car coz the car decided to get in gear. and 1 of our costumers had his wife putting a child in rear seat when same happened,luckily no1 was hurt that time. my mom has a toyota,they sent her a letter but that was an other recall(freezing crackcase stuff wich connected to teh brake booster vacuum)
oh btw on any car that has electric throttle body ,the floor mat can fook up the adaptation,makes lot of mess.
Quote from wheel4hummer :I disagree with drive-by wire in general. I just don't see anything that has been gained from it. Same with push button start. Just put the damn key in the ignition and turn, how is that so difficult.

Because a start button makes it look sporty, hurrr.

Quote from mrodgers :I've been saying for years that the drive-by-wire stuff isn't going to be good.

You're right, in my opinion. I once drove a Toyota Auris. It also had drive by wire. The throttle pedal was unresponsive and laggy. I could push the pedal to the floor and lift it completely, before the engine would respond .
Quote from wheel4hummer :Same with push button start. Just put the damn key in the ignition and turn, how is that so difficult.

You're right of course. Then again, i've never enjoyed starting a car as much as the S2000 (which has a starter button). It's big and red, and it says "start engine"... it's just really cool.
Quote from hrtburnout :You're right, in my opinion. I once drove a Toyota Auris. It also had drive by wire. The throttle pedal was unresponsive and laggy. I could push the pedal to the floor and lift it completely, before the engine would respond .

I remember talking about the same thing a good while back about our forklift throttles here at work. They are completely unresponsive. So, I did a bit of search as I thought we discussed this and we did. As a matter of fact, I was the one that started the thread, from back in September of 2007. Completely forgot about starting that....
Quote from jibber :You're right of course. Then again, i've never enjoyed starting a car as much as the S2000 (which has a starter button). It's big and red, and it says "start engine"... it's just really cool.

pro tip never buy an american model if you care about stuff like that
my car has got to be the most annyoing thing to fire up ive ever driven... wont start unless i press the clutch pedal and beeps in the most annoying tone ive ever heard until i put the seatbelt on

its debateable whether or not all americans are idiots whats not debateable though is that cars for the american market are built for idiots
Quote from Boris Lozac :Wtf, are the floor mats problem after all, or some electronics, i don't get it..

i was pretty confused too, but now i think i understand a little better now that i've watched some more movies...

there are two problems, one after another.

the first one was with the floor mats. with the big ass rubber mats, the hooks could slip out and the mat would slide up and hold the pedal down. but some people didn't use the hooks and put the mat on top of the regular mat, which can also give the same result.

the second one was with the pedal itself. the way the pedal works is kindof like a gear. with wear and condensation the mechanism can get stuck at random.

sad thing is, apparently there might be a third problem with the cruise control...
#74 - wien
How exactly does one switch into neutral or turn off the engine when both those systems are electric and the computer decides to just ignore your commands? I'm not saying that's what happened here, but the Prius does have an all-electric ignition and shifter as far as I've been able to work out.
#75 - JJ72
the computer won't disfunction entirely, some part of it will be working, and so far we haven't heard about unresponsive gear changes. Turning off the ignition is quite a trouble though, as you have to hold the start button down for 3 seconds, unless you checked the menu beforehand you won't know what to do with it.

Toyota recall
(108 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG