The online racing simulator
positive and negative (Z-axis) G display
I think the g indicator (when displaying F9 or F10) should include positive and negative g's.

The reason behind this request is:

I would like to calculate the required spring rate and ride height to counteract the extra g's to prevent the car from bottoming out in dips on the track if at all possible. When the car bottoms out mid corner this causes loss of grip that tends to make the rear end step out. I want to put a stop to this.

A good example: Aston Grand Prix

Guessing at the correct g multiplier is easier than finding the slope of the grade to calculate the arc distance over time to figure the amount of force produced in that arc. This is why a g indicator would be easier.

Adjusting the suspension according to the forces applied is better than using voodoo to get the right performance out of the suspension. This is especially the case with the down force cars because the proper ride height and spring rate need to be figured out to accommodate bumps at full down force load.
Attached images
lfs_00000022.JPG
One word: telemetry.

f1perfview, specifically. I've been using it for just this purpose for years.

You should have also clarified you're talking about vertical G's, along the Z-axis of the car.
I'll check out f1perfview.

That would have been a good Idea.
I would prefer the Z-axis G display. I could calculate a more accurate spring rate/ride height ratio. I want to be able to adjust them together so that the final spring force at the end of the compression is the same.

For example:

(x N / y mm) z mm = 28,320N ;

z=desired travel

x & y=arbitrary variables

With this I can get the appropriate force to distance ratio to equal 28320N. Coincidentally that is the load acting on the suspension of the BF1 at 195mph with the driver, a full tank of fuel, and the down force.

Now, if there is a bump in the road at 195mph there is no more suspension travel available to absorb that bump/upward arc. In the case with Aston GP I want to know how much force that equation needs to equal in order to prevent bottoming out.

I have noticed when I try to guess the spring length I tend to over compensate or under compensate, and I can't seem to get it where I am sure it is on the limit.
Spring length is given by the motion range, visibile both in the LFS garage and in f1perfview under Suspension Travel.

I usually just drove laps until I got a good one, then grabbed the telemetry off it and looked at the Suspension Travel graph. If it went to 0 at some point, I raised the Ride Height (and thus Motion Range) and retested.

FWIW, I don't think it's possible to prevent bottoming on that corner at AS4 in the BF1. At least not without a stupidly stiff setup that sucks everywhere else.

And don't confuse people by using "dt" as a variable name. If you've ever taken calculus you'll understand.
I have prevented the car form bottoming out horribly there using the method you have said. The car no longer steps out when driving on that curb no mater where I put the wheels.

I still think it would be interesting to see the cars Z-axis G's. The discussion about Indy in another thread spurred that interest.

I couldn't think of one that I should use and I was not been able to get in my damn Calculus class this semester because of priority registration. I'll know what you are talking about when the time comes. I labeled the variables for the reason that I didn't know if they were used for something else.
OutSim outputs Z-axis g-forces. You could use these, along with an InSim button, to display them real-time.
cool thanks

On another note. I have found that the suspension rate for the front and rear in the pits is the spring rate per wheel! I didn't know that 'till now! I have been using twice the spring rate necessary to support the cars weight + down force.

For example:

I was calculating I needed 155.5N/mm for a height of 115mm in the rear.

I actually only needed 67.6N/mm for a height of 115mm!!!!!

This explains the fact that I was only using half the distance of travel at max 195mph where I reach max load form down force. Which is what I saw from the telemetry data.

Now, with my updated suspension, the car actually bottoms out on the straight at 195mph.

So thank you Forbin for directing me to f1perfview!!!

The telemetry is actually making sense because I am getting results that I am expecting.
New improvement suggestion:

Spring stiffness should be labeled per wheel. It is not entirely clear at first glance. I didn't know for 3+ years!
How else would the spring rate be given?
I guess I'm just an idiot.

I thought the number was the total across the front or rear wheels. In the suspension options the values are just labeled front and rear.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG