The online racing simulator
#26 - AVV1
Hi.
I have one of these load cell kits that I bought from Niels a few years back but never got to install them. Does anyone know what is the voltage for the amplifier input/output? is it compatible with the Logitech g25/27, and PS3?
or needs to be connected for example to a Leo Bodnar USB board ?

Thanks
I really don't get what it adds over a "normal" steering wheel brake pedal. If your brake pedal has a linear spring (most regular pedals have afaik), you already have a pressure sensitive brake pedal because of Hooke's law which in a nutshell says:

Quote :Mathematically, Hooke's law states that

where
x is the displacement of the end of the spring from its equilibrium position;
F is the restoring force exerted by the material; and
k is the force constant (or spring constant).

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law
Quote from IKke5165 :I really don't get what it adds over a "normal" steering wheel brake pedal. If your brake pedal has a linear spring (most regular pedals have afaik), you already have a pressure sensitive brake pedal because of Hooke's law which in a nutshell says:

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

A properly setup, properly bled brake system should only have about 2-4cm of travel. After that, it's all in how hard you press. The pedal won't move any more from there.

The first bit of travel provides very minimal braking force. The real force gets applied once you hit the point where the pedal isn't moving anymore.

A spring system must use pedal travel to gauge how much braking to apply. It may get harder to go further down on the pedal, but it's still the movement of the pedal that indicates how much braking to do. That's not how a real hydraulic brake system works.
still up for grabs? is it expensive?
@Hallen:

If you would use a force sensor only, your pedal will hardly move. and if you use a spring on top of the sensor, you still get the same thing as with a normal spring (providing it is linear). Unfortunatly the link in the initial post doesn't work anymore but that is how I remembered it to work.
The force sensor plus spring gives the springy initial feel (as the spring compresses), but once coil bound the pedal won't move yet you can still increasing the braking input. In a real car you have the 'soft' initial part when you're moving fluid and the pads, and the rock hard second stage where nothing is moving (well, not much) but your pressing the pads harder against the disc.

Purely movement based pedals (most commercial pedals) are very unrealistic.
Thanks that explains alot
#33 - AVV1
So, anyone have used this particular kit? that can tell me if the specifications of the electronics on it, is compatible with G25 and PS3? or it has to be used in combination with a USB board like Bodnars.

I tried to contact Niels but got no reply yet.

Thanks
Quote from IKke5165 :@Hallen:

If you would use a force sensor only, your pedal will hardly move. and if you use a spring on top of the sensor, you still get the same thing as with a normal spring (providing it is linear). Unfortunatly the link in the initial post doesn't work anymore but that is how I remembered it to work.

I was referring to a spring attached to the pedal in some way to give a bit of resistance. The real sensor is of course the potentiometer that is attached to the pedal and reads how far it has traveled. Pedal travel becomes the measure of how much braking is happening on a commercial brake pedal set used for simulators.

The system here uses something that looks like a metal bar and it measures pressure, not motion. So yeah, you would need some kind of free travel, probably with spring resistance, and then contact with the pressure bar.

A truly accurate system would have some way of moving that pressure bar "back" so that if your brakes get hot or worn out (like in a 24h race), the "soft" part of the pedal throw would get longer and longer. It would take some kind of output from the game in order to do that. This, in my mind, would be the ultimate brake simulator setup.
Quote from AVV1 :Hi.
I have one of these load cell kits that I bought from Niels a few years back but never got to install them. Does anyone know what is the voltage for the amplifier input/output? is it compatible with the Logitech g25/27, and PS3?
or needs to be connected for example to a Leo Bodnar USB board ?

Thanks

Woot, first post....

A load cell generally outputs about 2mv per volt of 'excitation'. Ie, if you run the load cell at 5v, you will get a maximum output of 10mv. Leo sells either the USB interface with 7 analogue inputs etc and includes a load cell input OR, you can buy one of his load cell amplifiers (http://www.leobodnar.com/products/LC-amp/) to retrofit a load cell to replace a pot running @ 5v.

I am going to make my own LC amp but i am very electronically minded. At only about AUD $4 for the main IC on the board and only a couple of resistors and a capacitor, it's not too hard. The other reason is that my joystick interface uses 3.3v and not 5v. Then again, my load cell is 100kg so i'd probably not get it past 3.3v output anyway
-
(elnino_effect) DELETED by elnino_effect

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG