The online racing simulator
G-Force discussion
(115 posts, started )
I created a new thread in the off topic section. Further discussion should continue there as suggested.
Quote from MadCat360 :Shuttle takeoff is 3 G until the main boosters quit. That's the same as an aircraft carrier launch.

The CARTs at Texas were pulling over 9 G combined. For long periods, that's a lot to take.

over 9000 short of?...
man do you know what is 9g?
the formula 1 pull out 6-7 g and a cart who has less traction can pull 9 g? ffs
they just couldnt take it they arent physicaly ready for that
Try reading the whole thread mate!

F1 can pull 5 -6 g laterally, whilst the Cart/Indycars apparently pull 9g total including the vertical component of road camber, not purely laterally. The Cart/Indycars are unable to generate the same purely lateral component of acceleration due to the lower technology and heavier weight of the cars (and lower skill of the drivers).
Quote from tristancliffe :(and lower skill of the drivers).

I dont think skill really has much to do with it. If presented with the limitations of the machine (in terms of generating G-Forces that is), there isn't anything anyone can really do about that. Schumacher or Senna wouldn't necessarily be able to pull more Gs from the IndyCars compared to IndyCar drivers. Mansell and Piquet were both in IndyCars and they weren't necessarily achieving blinding speed in them. Heck, after Mansell's stellar rookie season in CART, he started to fade and became as accident prone as Andretti in F1.

The fact that there hasnt been any successful F1 driver crossovers to IndyCar (and I'm talking about the IndyCar we know today...which started in 1996 compared to old CART or ChampCar) speaks to that as well. We'll see how Sato does in the new IndyCar.

Also, greater G-Forces doesn't necessarily translate into more skill. It's a tendency...but not necessarily a rule. I mean Rally drivers experience less Gs than F1 drivers yet Rally drivers have much more driving skill over F1. Same applies to Touring Car, relatively slow series...but not necessarily lesser in skill compared to GT or even open wheel
Quote from tristancliffe :Try reading the whole thread mate!

F1 can pull 5 -6 g laterally, whilst the Cart/Indycars apparently pull 9g total including the vertical component of road camber, not purely laterally. The Cart/Indycars are unable to generate the same purely lateral component of acceleration due to the lower technology and heavier weight of the cars (and lower skill of the drivers).

you cant put a sum in the forces because you cant have two forces at the same time.. thats why all of this is wrong and let me explain my self
look that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9YtD1jw_Qw
(they are with anti g suits as you can see)
imagine that you are a pilot in a f16 you have the needed space to make a mistake..
imagine a f1 pilot that isnt training to g forces only with special crafted machines built it for every pilot that trains only the hump not the head its self if they take their foor from the gas the time that they hit 9.0g they will hit 10-11 due to the others forces aerodynamic brake etc etc its impossible as you can see
(aim 120 missile can turn at 14g...)
and those driver dont have anti g so they will black you almosta twice as fast as a pilot with anti g..
and the most important thing..
pilots can breath in the flight
f1 pilots dont breath at corners/acc/brake i suppose in cart indy car too
spa and the turkish grand prix is the best track to see the effect of the gravity at f1 the bank at those consecutive corners is 22 at the apex and 19 at the upper corner do the maths to see the force of y axis for the 5 sec

thats why in f1 they make your blood run in a high pressure because they can carry out a lot g than a normal human
Quote from lizardfolk :I dont think skill really has much to do with it. If presented with the limitations of the machine (in terms of generating G-Forces that is), there isn't anything anyone can really do about that. Schumacher or Senna wouldn't necessarily be able to pull more Gs from the IndyCars compared to IndyCar drivers. Mansell and Piquet were both in IndyCars and they weren't necessarily achieving blinding speed in them. Heck, after Mansell's stellar rookie season in CART, he started to fade and became as accident prone as Andretti in F1.

The fact that there hasnt been any successful F1 driver crossovers to IndyCar (and I'm talking about the IndyCar we know today...which started in 1996 compared to old CART or ChampCar) speaks to that as well. We'll see how Sato does in the new IndyCar.

Also, greater G-Forces doesn't necessarily translate into more skill. It's a tendency...but not necessarily a rule. I mean Rally drivers experience less Gs than F1 drivers yet Rally drivers have much more driving skill over F1. Same applies to Touring Car, relatively slow series...but not necessarily lesser in skill compared to GT or even open wheel

higher lat g force=grip=good chasis=pilot can run the hell out of the machine
Quote from giannhsgr1 :you cant put a sum in the forces because you cant have two forces at the same time.. thats why all of this is wrong and let me explain my self
look that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9YtD1jw_Qw
(they are with anti g suits as you can see)
imagine that you are a pilot in a f16 you have the needed space to make a mistake..
imagine a f1 pilot that isnt training to g forces only with special crafted machines built it for every pilot that trains only the hump not the head its self if they take their foor from the gas the time that they hit 9.0g they will hit 10-11 due to the others forces aerodynamic brake etc etc its impossible as you can see
(aim 120 missile can turn at 14g...)
and those driver dont have anti g so they will black you almosta twice as fast as a pilot with anti g..
and the most important thing..
pilots can breath in the flight
f1 pilots dont breath at corners/acc/brake i suppose in cart indy car too
spa and the turkish grand prix is the best track to see the effect of the gravity at f1 the bank at those consecutive corners is 22 at the apex and 19 at the upper corner do the maths to see the force of y axis for the 5 sec

thats why in f1 they make your blood run in a high pressure because they can carry out a lot g than a normal human

I didn't understand much of that. But let me assure you that you can have a horizontal and a vertical component of force relative to the chassis - one is termed pure lateral g, the other pure vertical g (and of course there is pure longitudinal g too, but that's not part of the discussion). Add up the two (pythag.) and you end up with the single force, which will be higher than either individual component. You know that.

F1 corners are rarely very banked, hence most of the cornering force (g) is pure lateral. Ovals often are heavily banked, and hence there is a large proportion of vertical (relative to the chassis) g in the corners. Hence the larger peaks.

@Lizard: Just added it to keep up appearences. I couldn't leave it ambiguous about my perceived level of skill in oval racing. As for rallying, I don't think they have MORE skill, just different skills. They are, however, braver (or possibly madder), but bravery should never be confused with ability.

E: F1 drivers can breathe whilst cornering. As can oval drivers. Even at high-g levels. G suits work in the vertical plane (relative to the spine/chassis), and hence aren't needed in race cars that only have a relatively small vertical force (even at 240mph on ovals) compared to fighter aircraft.
yes but the problem is that those combined force can only exist for ms not even a second because imagine two force equally combined in one signle matter it would be teared up in seconds due to the basic law of relativity
as you imagine two forces of gravity in one matter cant be exist (because the moment that the car turn and bank boom the lat force just became vert)
but in theory if an f1 car or a jet fighter could combine 2 gravity forces and assume that the jet could fly at 999.999 speed of light we will have the first time traveler

(two gravity force will produce two anti gravity forces forcing the object to speed up like hell until they reacy the time limit)

they can breath only at slow corners
Lerts?

oddly enough that sort of made sense to me
Quote from giannhsgr1 :
(two gravity force will produce two anti gravity forces forcing the object to speed up like hell until they reacy the time limit)

It is not two gravitiy forces. Gravitiy is what pulls you towards the mass centre of earth, with 9.81 m/s² at sealevel.
For ease of use it has been know as 1 G.

So if there is a lateral force pulling with 5 G, it means nothing more but 5 * 9.81 m/s². It is caused by fictitous force rather than gravity.
Quote from giannhsgr1 :yes but the problem is that those combined force can only exist for ms not even a second because imagine two force equally combined in one signle matter it would be teared up in seconds due to the basic law of relativity
as you imagine two forces of gravity in one matter cant be exist (because the moment that the car turn and bank boom the lat force just became vert)
but in theory if an f1 car or a jet fighter could combine 2 gravity forces and assume that the jet could fly at 999.999 speed of light we will have the first time traveler

they can breath only at slow corners

No, the combined forces can exists for any length of time. Typically, a corner will only last for a few seconds, but there is no reason why they couldn't last for years. It's not two forces, it's the horizontal and vertical component of a force...

Obviously physics isn't a strong point for you.

Trust me, they can breathe in high speed corners too.
show me one example with two forces in practical way..

and no they cant breath because they learned that way go ask a trainer for that..
Um, okay...

A car cornering. It has a force due to gravity downwards, and a centripetal force accelerating it around the corner (generated at the tyre/circuit interface). These two forces are actually the horizontal and vertical components of the overall force, which is towards the inside of the corner and pointing slightly downwards (like a right angle triangle).

It really is very basic.

Do you honestly think that in long corners (e.g. on ovals or say, Catalunya's turn 3) the drivers all hold their breathe for many seconds at a time? Do you not think that might make them perform a bit worse over a race distance? Sure, drivers like Senna have been known the claim they'd hold their breath for a qualifying lap to starve the brain of oxygen to heighten awareness (or something). But they can breathe if they want to. The exception might be during hard 5g+ braking, when the chest is pressing very heavily against the seatbelts...
#91 - JJ72
You see, holding your breathe too long will do funny things to your brain........like turning you into lerts.
yes ofc it can be but in the corner you get much more
1)g force from braking
2)lat force (if it have a bank a vertical one)
4)possible acc force
but as i said in real world you cant have 2-3 force joined unless you are able to do that thing schumacher did with sls in that way you will have 2 and maybe 3 forces(but the only thing in the world that could do it is an f1 car i think )

if you want you can go to the renault racing dept with a club just like i did with my friend
they passed us from a lot of test really lots of them in order some of us drive one formula type car
they said to us that the f1 driver are trained to do that in a special way(they didnt told us)because the head in a corner takes a lot of lateral and verical(because the turn i bit to adjust the force in the neck) and they dont need air that time inside them
Quote from giannhsgr1 :they dont need air that time inside them

The only times you don't need oxygen are A) before you're conceived and B) after you're dead.

I can't see how a driver holding his breath could be beneficial in any way. Fighter pilots still breathe when doing high-G maneuvers, but there's a special technique to it, IIRC. Lateral acceleration is even less stressful than that with respect to keeping blood (and thus oxygen) in the brain. I don't care what some tour guide told you.
Quote from Forbin :Fighter pilots still breathe when doing high-G maneuvers, but there's a special technique to it, IIRC.

the technique isnt really about the breathing the breathing is just a necessary evil that interupts the technique of flexing all your lower body muscles to press the blood upwards (quite easily trained by sitting in front of a mirror and trying to turn your head red... or by eating a lot of food that you know will cause constipation) naturally you have to relax quite a few muscles to be able to breath which therefore is done quickly
You're talking rubbish. About both the g and the breathing. Engage brain before typing.
Quote from Shotglass :(quite easily trained by sitting in front of a mirror and trying to turn your head red...

I 100% blame you both for the coffee dripping out of my nose as well as possibly alerting coworkers within 50 feet of my office that I probably wasn't really working right then.
oh ffs i ought to prrof read my stuff for unintentional innuendo from now on
Well, he can talk around most of the lap, even when pulling several gs, so can probably breathe to do that. But he confirmed that during heavy braking you can't breathe (on purpose). Which is what I said.

But you're still wrong about the forces bit.

I don't think I need to join a Renault club or go on Youtube. I can try it up to about 2.5g myself, and if I want to know about more I can ask family friends (which might include one or two ex (but not that long ago) F1 drivers) or people in EuroBOSS that I know, or perhaps my flying instuctor who was a successful military pilot?
Quote from tristancliffe :
I don't think I need to join a Renault club or go on Youtube. I can try it up to about 2.5g myself, and if I want to know about more I can ask family friends (which might include one or two ex (but not that long ago) F1 drivers) or people in EuroBOSS that I know, or perhaps my flying instuctor who was a successful military pilot?

Mhmm, and you "can't afford" iRacing (wink wink)

G-Force discussion
(115 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG