The online racing simulator
Scott Andrews: "Missed it by that much"
Heya guys, press release from the weekend

Scott Andrews has taken his best overall result in the Commodore Cup national series, second place, and missed out on an overall victory by the narrowest of margins, in the first round of the 2010 season at Wakefield Park over the weekend.

The 2009 Commodore Cup rookie of the year qualified on pole position and had arguably the fastest car over the course of the weekend, but a variety of minor indiscretions cost Andrews some positions in the races and he ultimately fell just two points short of a round-winning pointscore.

In Race 1, Andrews was beaten off the start by Adam Lloyd, but he recaptured the race lead within half a lap and sprinted away from the field, only for a safety-car to be deployed as a result of Josh Hughes experiencing a gearbox failure and stopping in a precarious position at the side of the circuit.

At the restart, Andrews was the first driver to cop the oil left on the circuit by Hughes’s car, and he slid wide at Turn 2, allowing Jason Domaschenz to overtake him. He was then shuffled back two more positions when Tony Bates tapped him into the final corner, again forcing him wide and letting Bates and Nick Parker through.

An incident between Bates and Parker allowed Andrews to move back up to second and he set the fastest lap of the race in his pursuit of Domaschenz, but ultimately fell just short.

“I went for Domaschenz too early,” Andrews said. “If I had been more patient, I would have had him. My car was about half a second a lap quicker than his.

Andrews almost stalled on the grid in Race 2, and lost a spot to Adam Beechey off the line. He moved back into second place when Domaschenz’s car developed a gearbox problem, and started pressuring Beechey.

“Adam drove really well in that race,” he said. “I really only had one chance to overtake him, but I missed a gear and the car oversteered, so I wasn’t able to make the move stick.

Race 3 was held on a very wet track. Scott made a very good start and led the field into the first corner, but locked the rear brakes into Turn 2 and ran wide, losing a lot of positions.

“I really struggled at the start of the race to get the hang of the track in the wet, and I was overtaken by a lot of cars,” he said.

“As the race went on, I became more comfortable and made up positions when a few other drivers had some incidents. Towards the end, I had an awesome battle with Chris Stevenson. We both gave each other a lot of room and it was a lot of fun.”

Andrews finished seventh in Race 3, with round-winner Adam Beechey finishing fifth.

“Overall, it was a very good weekend. It was my first podium finish and I’m now second in the series, which is a great start to the season.”

The next round of the Commodore Cup national series is at Phillip Island, May 1-2.

Scott Andrews – Round Results Summary
Qualifying: 1st
Race 1: 2nd
Race 2: 2nd
Race 3: 7th
Overall: 2nd (125 points)

Commodore Cup national series – top-10 pointscore (after 1 of 6 rounds)
1. Adam Beechey – 127
2. Scott Andrews – 125
3. Tony Bates – 119
4. Matt Chick – 116
5. Jason Domaschenz – 109
Andrews on Pole for season opener
forgot qual

Last year’s Commodore Cup Rookie of the Year, Scott Andrews, has taken his second career pole position, qualifying fastest for the opening round of the 2010 series at Wakefield Park today.

Andrews was second in opening practice and dropped to fifth in the first qualifying session after being held up by slower traffic and making some driving errors, but the 19-year-old improved his lap-times by more than half a second for the second session to snatch away top spot.

“I hit all the apexes and found the perfect racing line around Wakefield Park,” he said.

“I reckon there was even more in the car, and I probably could have done a 1:07. The car is definitely very strong.”

Scott’s second pole position also comes in his first visit to the Wakefield Park circuit, echoing his effort at Oran Park last year.

“The best way to learn new tracks is to find the limit early, which is why I’ve gone so well at new tracks,” he said.

“The car is consistently very quick, so it should be competitive for tomorrow’s three races. Hopefully I can bring it home for a podium finish or better still, a round-win,” he concluded.
Josh did it on purpose
Great results, Scott! Good luck in the upcoming races and keep us updated.
Grats.

I kinda like the name "Matt Chick".
cheers guys. I do have vid's but they are massive so I dunno what to do there :\
Congrats mate , I see you are getting stronger race after race...now expecting some first place review very soon!
Way to go m8. Be nice to see you with some new boots!
Well done dude.
Great stuff Scott, missed it this time but I'm sure you'll get the round win before much time at all. Great results
Thanks guys.
Yeah so close to the first win... In the first race I had almost the straight length on them before the SC came out then I made a silly mistake...
In that and the second race many times I could have made a move to win, but I just didn't put myself in the right position. I was easily the fastest car on the day I just didn't want to push anybody out of the way - I don't want that kind of reputation
I was being very patient, probably too patient. But it's still early days...
Props dude, liking the update

Good luck and hopefully that first victory is just round the corner.

Wonder if UK bookies would offer odds...

Scott Andrews: "Missed it by that much"
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG