The online racing simulator
PC help! [Solved].
(39 posts, started )
PC help! [Solved].
Hey guys. So on Tuesday my PC wouldn't start up. 1 long beep and 2 short beeps + blank monitor (as if the PC wasn't on) = Graphics card problem. (Correct?).
So I ordered a 5770 and received it today. Placed it in and guess what, same problem....
After a bit more research it turns out it could also be bad memory, but after fiddling around and reseating/replacing slots and whatnot nothing seems to work. So either my both chips went bust or there is something else.

Can anyone shed some light? I was planning running down to currys and getting a cheap memory stick and try it out but I don't want to shed out more money on nothing.

Thanks guys.

Edit - Scrap that. Did some hardcore testing

Tested all the components 1 by 1 and wrote down errors. RAM passed. So when I got to putting my card back I gave it a big push. Something clicked inside and I thought I broke one of the pins but the PC turned on and managed to post and load up!

So the moral of the story guys is - Dont be stupid. Do have some common sense and spend some time properly investigating and testing the PC when it fails. And also, clean it up! I have a sense that it was all the crap and dust in my slot that stopped the card from working.

Anyways. I'm back. I know you all missed my nonsense.
Just pointing few things out, motherboard beeps on different brands mean different things (most likely). So, always look into your manual if u hear anything weird.

The PCI-E slot always has a lock on clip, means that u always need to push it in so u can hear the click.

Anyways, myea.

Edit: I wonder how could the dust get inside the slot? I mean, was the card wiggling around in it? My card doesnt move at all, except the card itself bends a bit if i move it.
Different beeps - I know. Asus manual doesn't have anything about it, but my friend told me them.

The click thing - Well my old card (8600gt) is considerably smaller then the current 5770 and it simply did not need that big of a "push" to get it in properly. I was generally surprised that you need to apply that much strength to get it in fully.

And about the dust, well dont ask me. That was pure speculation. I mean my PC has been open for couple of months now because my room isnt that big and when the heating is on its freaking boiling, so my PC would start cooking. But I open my window and my case and since its right next to it, it cools down.

So there was a lot of crap inside the box. The amount of dust in the fans was just scary. I mean I do clean my PC, I used to do it every month at least, but it just happened that I left it untouched for quite a while now.

Anyways. Going to make something to eat and finish off the job.
Hmm, my case has been open for 2-3 (or even more) months now, i see some dust inside it but not too much. I can still see the fans tho, but i guess ill need to clean mine soon tho. My case is too small, when i bought my HD4870 then i had quite a struggle with it to get the card in. If i look right now, i got like 1mm of spare room lol. The power cables, i have no idea who is the stupid person that manages to put them into the top of the card. I mean, to front side of the case. But well, that also means i cant close my case. It will give me extra 5c+ on the system temp. The card is like a wall between upper side and lower side of the case.

Dont know why i wrote about that tho, anyways ok.
Quote from hazaky :Hmm, my case has been open for 2-3 (or even more) months now.....

I bought my first PC in 1995. Not one PC has ever been left closed up. My current PC I bought in 2005. I immediately opened it to install a 2nd hard drive and something else. It has been open since about the 3rd day I bought it, just slightly over 5 years now.
OK...

So before I installed ATI catalyst drivers for my new VGA I deleted the old nvidia drivers. I only realized now that it carried my ethernet cable driver, so I cannot connect to the internet now...

"Other PCI bridge device"
"SM Bus controller"

What can I do? Should I install them back on? Will it conflict with my new VGA?
Oh wow. Myea, i guess its sometimes just a better way to cool your PC and to have easier access into it. I opened mine because i have backup HDD next to it on a little box, it wont fit in - too many cables and im too lazy to unplug most of them so i could swap the HDD (i have 2 backup HDD's).

Edit: When i moved to my new HD4870 from old nvidia 8600gt, i just did uninstall from programs and features. I dont think there will be a major conflict if any at all. I installed Nvidia PhysX at some time ago to play NFS Shift. Now i use Ageia PhysX instead tho. Download "Unknown Devices" and see what are these.
Thats the thing, I cant (download) them, because of them I cannot get on the internet.

My Asus MB has a nvidia chipset. The best bet would be is to update the drivers, Google says that has fixed the problem for a lot of people. However, I cannot d/l them on my PC. How am I meant to transfer them? I cant find my flash drive either.

Dammit, this is getting annoying now.

Edit - Ignore this as well. Found that I have the install files on my HDD. Hooray for unclean HDD's!
Use ur cellphone to transfer files? Every modern phone can do it as far as i know
Thats actually a good suggestion.

Anyways, fixed now.
Well. Looks like everything is back to normal.

Apart from one thing that is really bugging me now. Did anyone else notice a color change when moving from nvidia to ATI? The whites look "washed out" and some other colours just dont look right.

I am rpetty sure this forum didnt have that much blues.

Is it me just being picky now?

I tried altering with catalyst color changes but nothing looks right. Anyone mind posting theirs?
Attached images
colo.JPG
I didnt notice much color change tho. Try to set up your monitor brigthness&contrast. I would recommend contrast somewhere around 50 - 60. Thats what i use and colors are hawt.
Attached images
asddagdsasd.jpg
Contrast at 50-60 in monitor settings is way too dark.

Can you screen cap your catalyst color settings please?
Quote from DevilDare :Contrast at 50-60 in monitor settings is way too dark.

Can you screen cap your catalyst color settings please?

Maybe my Acer (and other Acer's) is just different. 50 brightness and 50 contrast = epic enough bright and crisp picture.
Attached images
watwatlool.jpg
Well mine is exactly the same. Guess I am just going to have to get used to this.

Some colours are really out of place tho... I mean this reply box is a light green kind of colour. Bloody annoying.
Quote from DevilDare :Well mine is exactly the same. Guess I am just going to have to get used to this.

Some colours are really out of place tho... I mean this reply box is a light green kind of colour. Bloody annoying.

Well, maybe u just had the settings on nvidia that was hiding some colors. In matter of fact, in my opinion its better like that because more colors is always better.
are you using the same colour mode (16/32bit)?
I am yes.

Everywhere else it seems to be fine. Its only "crap" in FF. Oh well. I kinda got used to it already.
Using the correct colour profile for your monitor? Perhaps adjusting the display would help, should be somewhere in the control panel, perhaps under colour management.
Well I am using the default settings now for everything. I think its just me being picky. I have a very stupid mindset of "everything has to be perfect".

Anyways. Its fine.
Quote from DevilDare :Well I am using the default settings now for everything. I think its just me being picky. I have a very stupid mindset of "everything has to be perfect".

Anyways. Its fine.

Maybe you dont know whats perfect for you, maybe u got used to the previous lack of colours? Like, now everything pops out much better and u see more, wider area of the color gamma
Probably.
Going off someone else's settings with different monitors and, well, different everything isn't going to do it.

I would make sure you are using the correct color profile for the monitor. I had what sounds like a similar issue, only it was between graphics programs for me (photoshop, paintshop pro, Lightroom, etc.) and it was the color profile. Using the wrong profile can really wash out the colors or make them so saturated that your screen looks like a cartoon.
Where would I find these?

If you are talking about Right click>Properties>Settings>Advanced>Color Managment, then there are like 20 options you can add.

PC help! [Solved].
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG