The online racing simulator
Tensions heighten over the Falkland Island
(58 posts, started )
I'm not sure what to think of this issue tbh. Perhaps the Dutch proverb "Dragging old cows out of a ditch" applies here
#3 - 5haz
The Islands are much better defended this time around, starting beef with yet another ciontry is the last thing the UK needs right now.

Hugo Chavez is just a nutter, the Queen has nothing to do with it.
Did someone say...rematch? The fact is the people living there don't want the Argentinians to govern them, they want it to stay the way it is, as long as that's the case we will fight for it as if it were mainland Britain.
#5 - 5haz
If it does kick off surely the British Armed forces will be over stretched, what with the pointless war they're fighting in Afghanistahn.

In Afghanistahn many people don't want the British there defending them, while in the Falklands they do.
#6 - Jakg
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Did someone say...rematch? The fact is the people living there don't want the Argentinians to govern them, they want it to stay the way it is, as long as that's the case we will fight for it as if it were mainland Britain.

If I was sitting on fifty trillion quid's worth of oil I wouldn't want to be under Argentinean rule... but I wouldn't want to be under the HMRC either. I'd want all the money made in my country to stay there...
The only reason tensions are so high is because Argentina pulled out of a nice deal with had with them in 2007 which means they won't be getting a 50% cut in the profits, and they only pulled out because they thought they'd found some oil and didn't want to share. So now rather than getting some cash they are getting naff all, which is their own fault really.
Quote from Jakg : I'd want all the money made in my country to stay there...

I totally agree. No one country should ever be forced to give its money to another country.
#9 - amp88
Quote from Jakg :If I was sitting on fifty trillion quid's worth of oil I wouldn't want to be under Argentinean rule... but I wouldn't want to be under the HMRC either. I'd want all the money made in my country to stay there...

I feel the same way about England stealing all of Scotland's oil money...
anyone else read one of arthur c clarke's books where he comments on the future british and argentinian goverments frustrated efforts to foist the falkland islands and more importantly their inhabitants off on each other because they're such a pain in the ass ?
Quote from flymike91 :I totally agree. No one country should ever be forced to give its money to another country.

Welcome to the EU

and if Marc Faber is correct expect much much worse to come in the next few years regarding conflict and so on
Quote from amp88 :I feel the same way about England stealing all of Scotland's oil money...

And don't get me started on the Isle Of Wight...
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Did someone say...rematch? The fact is the people living there don't want the Argentinians to govern them, they want it to stay the way it is,

Same problem we had with Northern Ireland. Empires leave some serious long-term messes. Iraq springs to mind.

Quote from flymike91 :I totally agree. No one country should ever be forced to give its money to another country.

Welcome to the EU.

Ohh the irony.
Perhaps if England play Argentina in the world cup it could all be decided on that game. It would suck to lose the Falklands on a penalty shoot out though.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Perhaps if England play Argentina in the world cup it could all be decided on that game. It would suck to lose the Falklands on a penalty shoot out though.

How about we give them the Falklands in return for Maradona's head on a stick?
As an Argentinean I have to say that the Falkland islands are not ours, people living there believe they are British and we have almost nothing in common with their culture, they don't even speak Spanish!

This is just a diversion from our own political and economic problems, it's a smoke curtain thrown by the government, if there is something that most Argentinean can't overlook is pride, and if we all unite against an external "evil" the current political party could gain some popularity, which is being smashed by the inflation and lots of corruption scandals.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Perhaps if England play Argentina in the world cup it could all be decided on that game. It would suck to lose the Falklands on a penalty shoot out though.

youd lose either way
if you want to keep the falklands youd better challenge them in some obscure sport absolutely no one cares about like cricket or competitive haggis eating
Take Maradona hostage, cut off his hand and Then we make him play football.
Quote from Shotglass :youd lose either way
if you want to keep the falklands youd better challenge them in some obscure sport absolutely no one cares about like cricket or competitive haggis eating

Now thats what am talking about. If the British Army signed me up thats probably the only thing i would be good at. I can own anybody at Haggis eating. Mmm i love the stuff
Quote from 5haz :If it does kick off surely the British Armed forces will be over stretched, what with the pointless war they're fighting in Afghanistahn.

Precisely what i thought, thats where hitler went wrong, when he decided to invade russia, you cant succesfully fight on 2 fronts at the same time properly without weakening one to strengthen the other, and that very mistake by him was one of the major turning points in the war.

Different countries involved, different times that we are living in, different situations entirely, but still highly possible that multi-front fighting could bring about the same outcome.

And lets face it, if what we hear from the media is to be believed, then our boys are already so overstretched that they barely have a pot to piss in out in afghanistan as it is, the last thing we need is another falklands on our hands at the same time.
#22 - 5haz
Russia went wrong with trying to put Afghanistahn 'back in its place' too, if the majority of the people don't want your soldiers in its country then you have virtually no hope at all, the situation on the Falklands is very different.

Also arguably the UK's armed forces are quite badly underfunded, especially considering the losing battles its trying to fight right now.
Well it seems Argentina have filed another request to the UN over sovereignty with talks about the island with apparent backing from 32 latin/commonwealth/caribbean countries: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new ... the-Falkland-Islands.html

What I don't get is why Argentina are so determined to get the island, they tried to get it hundreds of years ago but they failed to and they were only there for a short period, compared to British occupation since 1833. You don't see a Caribbean country wanting sovereignty over the Dutch Antilles do you? Maybe I'm just bad at politics, I don't know
the uk should give up. nothing is ever worth fighting for. Give them your healthcares too.
Thats true, im don't think the afghan people were too sure about us and the US stomping around to begin with, but as we have between us started to take from the taliban and give back at least some order and leadership back to their people they now realise that we are there to try and help them, and not to take over.

Plus as you say, the falklands is british anyway, so they wouldn't mind us i don't think.

(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG