The online racing simulator
Problem with ancient PC
(21 posts, started )
Problem with ancient PC
Okay so i've been helping my brother with his ANCIENT pc (1.8ghz athlon, with an AGP card...) The problem is that, I can't find out the make/model/ of this very AGP card. It's not in the bios, On pc wizard, In devices (comes up with Video controller (VGA compatible) and on the card all it says is "ASUS".. So i'm clueless, as obviously the card needs a driver.. lol.

Any help? it's pissing me off to be frank, been sitting on it installing, and reinstalling for hours due to a reformat error, and i've had enough.
All's well apart from the driver.

Thanks in advanced
Try to download "Driver Detective". It will find the best software you need
I have heard that is virus infested, but **** it I've had enough. Gonna try it. Will report back results. Thanks
#4 - dadge
there should be some kind of model number on the card. google that with "AGP" included in the search.
Tried driver detective, said there wasn't a driver, but didn't give me any info on what i needed. I'm not paying.

Dadge, trust me, there isn't...
Can you take a picture of the card and post it here? There's not much to go by.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Can you take a picture of the card and post it here? There's not much to go by.

I'll do that tomorrow... Bro's gone to bed. Ha ha. - Left windows auto update on over night for him though. As it's a fresh install of windows XP (was working on vista, but as you can imagine, performance was diabolical). Maybe that'll work. Who knows.

Thanks lads
Try aida32
Attached images
aida32.PNG
No software will tell you exactly what card is in the system as they all get their information directly from the driver. Seeing as there is no driver for this card, no program will show any useful information. You could try GPU-Z, but like I said, it won't show anything useful. Though I am curious as to what it DOES say about this card.
i hear belarc advisor is good for this but i've always popped in a linux livecd and used lspci.
Quote from SilverArrows77 :Wouldnt it be simple enough to go with trial and error - i mean, its likely either nvidia based, or ATI based.. so thats only two to try... install drivers for one and see if it picks up the card, if not uninstall and install the others driver set .. then it will at least show in display settings something like "Plug and Play Monitor on NVIDIA Geforce 9500GT" etc.

This is very unlikely. This is an old AGP card, and the latest drivers for either ATI or Nvidia will not recognize it because they remove support for older cards every few years, and this card is over 7 years old. That's why he needs to know the exact model so he could get the exact drivers it needs.
Okay, i've taken pictures. As i said in device manager all it says about the card is "Video controller" and "Video controller (VGA compatible"...
Attached images
Photo005.jpg
Photo004.jpg
It's clearly written on the label at the back, unfortunately the photo is less clear so you'll have to do the actual reading yourself :rolleyes:

I believe it's a radeon X1650 Pro though.
#14 - STF
Quote from morpha :It's clearly written on the label at the back, unfortunately the photo is less clear so you'll have to do the actual reading yourself :rolleyes:

I believe it's a radeon X1650 Pro though.

That code on the back doesnt come up with anything when i search it, so i found it not useful. Pretty sure its just the product ID for the bar code? Ah idk. TRying the X1650 drivers now. Will report back.

EDIT: Dude i love you, it works!! Thanks a lot.
i'm not saying a word lol.
-
(MadCatX) DELETED by MadCatX
Quote from samforey12345 :That code on the back doesnt come up with anything when i search it, so i found it not useful. Pretty sure its just the product ID for the bar code? Ah idk. TRying the X1650 drivers now. Will report back.

I realise the problem is now solved, but what does the text above the barcode say?
Tried googling that too no avail as well.
Quote from samforey12345 :Tried googling that too no avail as well.

Read it, comprehend it, have a lightbulb moment
From the blurry photo I can tell it's an ASUS EAX1650 Pro, the 256MB version. No googling, it's all right there on the label in plain text

Problem with ancient PC
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG