The online racing simulator
Capture The Flag !
(22 posts, started )
Capture The Flag !
Hello All,

I have a suggestion for a new feature/mod/addon or whatever you call them .
First i've played Project Torque and LevelR for some years, but I needed a more Simulation race game. A couple of months ago I found it, Live For Speed and man what a awesome SIM racegame this is, just not comparible with any other racing game, in one word, unique .

Now my suggestion is would it not be nice to play another mode ingame like CTF=Capture The Flag ? for the ones that don't know what it is, you need to steal a flag then another player needs to hit your car to steal it from you.
When driving through a marked place you get a point while holding that flag, and so on.
I played this for quiet a long time and its really lots of fun.

Anyway maybe it is not possible at all for this game but then again maybe it is .
Looking forward to some positive reactions

Bye and greetings from The Netherlands,

Sir Hunter/Eelco
That actually sounds like quite a fun idea.
/me WANTZ NAOH!!!

Serious, this is a fun idea, brings back memories of 1nsane... *good old times*
Quote from Sir Hunter :[Idea]

That's possible, but kind of hard (at least for me) to detect when 2 cars hit each other. Other thing - to have 2 flags in certain spots and bla bla - easy as pie.
(If only I had the time to develop this ..Maybe I will next month... or the month after that... blah, I don't know I'm full of tasks, and all I'm doing is wondering how I'm gonna complete them, instead of actually trying -.- Why am I such a lazy ass $#%! argh)
Project Torque / LevelR CTF is a little bit different; there's only one flag and the point is not to bring it to your own base (like traditional CTF) but to hold on to it for as long as possible.
Quote from morpha :Project Torque / LevelR CTF is a little bit different; there's only one flag and the point is not to bring it to your own base (like traditional CTF) but to hold on to it for as long as possible.

Would be easy as hell to make both versions once you know how to detect a car collision.
But why am I even bothering... You know that even better than me
damn this is a good idea
i have played Project Torque before and it was fun
but i have read somewhere that theres no function yet in the insim when 2 cars touch eachother
Quote from Bass-Driver :damn this is a good idea
i have played Project Torque before and it was fun
but i have read somewhere that theres no function yet in the insim when 2 cars touch eachother

You can always code your own.
The MCI packet contains X, Y and Z coordinates, what more do you need? Ok, you do need the dimensions of the cars and that's what the biggest problem really is, but I guess they can be found somewhere .. or .. not.
I can't help with this at all, but the idea is brilliant, it could bring a lot of fun on the servers.
If you want to detect collisions between cars, just ask the devs, they do it in the training (joke).

Good luck to those who will try to code that
#10 - Vain
I propose a different set of rules:
1. CTF mode is played in two teams
2. Each team has a home-area, likely to be placed on opposing sides of a track or carpark.
3. The flag can spawn anywhere on the track in a given distance from both home areas.
The flag is not visible, but it's location is indicated to all drivers using arrows on screen.
(Thou shall not camp the flag's spawn site!)
The arrow indicators indicate wether you should turn right, turn left, go ahead or turn around to find the flag.
4. The car to first come close (~5m?) to the new flag picks it up.
The arrow indicators for all drivers will now indicate the position of the flag-bearer as well as his username.
(In CTF you should have the usernames over the cars visible.)
The arrow indicator the the flag-bearer will now point him in the direction of his home area.
5. The flag can only be lost by leaving the track or by coming to a standstill.
6. Once the flag reaches a team's home area the team scores a point and the flag respawns.

Note that in this rule-set the "home area" would likely be occupied by opposing cars that try to stop you from reaching "home".

Vain

P.S.: This is potentially as awesome as Batman competing in a surf-off against the Joker in yellow swimming trunks!
I'm really tempted to have a go at this.
Quote from rockclan :/me WANTZ NAOH!!!

Serious, this is a fun idea, brings back memories of 1nsane... *good old times*

You played insane, me too.
Quote from Vain :I propose a different set of rules:
1. CTF mode is played in two teams
2. Each team has a home-area, likely to be placed on opposing sides of a track or carpark.
3. The flag can spawn anywhere on the track in a given distance from both home areas.
The flag is not visible, but it's location is indicated to all drivers using arrows on screen.
(Thou shall not camp the flag's spawn site!)
The arrow indicators indicate wether you should turn right, turn left, go ahead or turn around to find the flag.
4. The car to first come close (~5m?) to the new flag picks it up.
The arrow indicators for all drivers will now indicate the position of the flag-bearer as well as his username.
(In CTF you should have the usernames over the cars visible.)
The arrow indicator the the flag-bearer will now point him in the direction of his home area.
5. The flag can only be lost by leaving the track or by coming to a standstill.
6. Once the flag reaches a team's home area the team scores a point and the flag respawns.

Note that in this rule-set the "home area" would likely be occupied by opposing cars that try to stop you from reaching "home".

Vain

P.S.: This is potentially as awesome as Batman competing in a surf-off against the Joker in yellow swimming trunks!
I'm really tempted to have a go at this.

1 - Obvious
2 - Can't happen really
3.1 - Most fps games have maps, where the flag's position is static. I would suggest layouts for this. Also on racing tracks, flags should be in the 2 sides of the map, in equally long distance to reach from both sides once you leave the pits.
3.2 - Indicator arrows would be a little painfull to code, and also kind of useless if you have pre-defined maps.
(3.3) - To that I suggest a cop-like system. If you have stopped and someone from the enemy team is near you, then you get pitlaned.
3.4 - See 3.1.
4 - 5m is too much imo, minding that you could have a cone and/or a chalk-marked spot, where the flag will actually be.
5 - Could be easier than making it on-collision, indeed.
6 - Again, obvious

7 - Home areas would be both flag spawn sites.
8 - To avoid re-coding the insim app every time a layout is added, I'd suggest a database with layout names and spawn coordinates, in case anyone gets to code this.
8.1(note) - If you do it like specified in 8, then note that layouts have to be loaded with /axload in order for the insim to work properly, or else it wouldn't detect the name.
8.2 - I felt like posting something obvious too: Best way to save coordinates would be with commands. Like !spawnRed (optional) [X], [Y] and obviously !spawnBlue with the same parameters. If X and Y aren't set, then obviously, you're supposed to use the car's current position. Then if you need to alter those I suggest !alterRed and !alterBlue with the same (again, optional) parameters.

Hope you didn't mind me changing(and dare I say improving? :shy your version.
This would be an awesome idea. I also liked CTF in Midnight Club:LA. I think it won't be as good in LFS with closed-off tracks, but it still seems fun.
seems easy... again only thing i would have a problem is with hitting other cars ect
I'll participate =)
Quote from broken :4 - 5m is too much imo, minding that you could have a cone and/or a chalk-marked spot, where the flag will actually be.

That should be pretty easy to detect a hit on.

struct IS_AXO // AutoX Object
{
byte Size; // 4
byte Type; // ISP_AXO
byte ReqI; // 0
byte PLID; // player's unique id
};

However, you don't know what object was hit, and you can't add objects at runtime via the InSim system. (But it would be pretty cool if you could).

On a side note, number 1 is not obvious. You can do a death match style, all vs one CTF.
You can generate a layout file, save into the server's layout dir and load it via /axload.
As for detecting which object was hit, since we're already tracking positions, we can simply combine AXO and a radius around the flag pole. If two cars were to come close to the flag, the player who triggers the AXO first (it is possible that both players trigger it because it will even trigger when you're hit by an object that's been accelerated by a previous collision) has obtained the flag.
    • Teams (Where @ Client Connect or Round Start (Race Restart / Track Load) Client's Select a Team.
    • Deathmatch (Where all clients a vs the one client with the flag.)
  1. Why have a team area? We can't force a car to spawn anywhere. They spawn in the pit stool, or the start grid. These are your options, and you don't even have true control over that. If you mean by certain places that the teams car must get to, why not make it simple like the start / finish line?
  2. How about spawning it on the node half way around the track?
  3. A cone should mark the spot, and the first client to produce a AXO packet is the client who has the flag.
    • A button will indicate the client who as the flag's PName on each client's screen. That's all of the information you get however. It's up to you to find them, and kill them!
    • Things that make you lose the flag:
      • Having a speed of 0 M/s.
      • Piting your car, or going to spectate.
      • Resetting your car.
    • Once the client get's to the start finish straight, they score a point for them selfs or their team and the flag is respawned.
    Quote from morpha :If two cars were to come close to the flag, the player who triggers the AXO first (it is possible that both players trigger it because it will even trigger when you're hit by an object that's been accelerated by a previous collision) has obtained the flag.

Set a bit in your code saying that the flag as already been taken, and thus, can not be given again.
    Quote from Dygear :Set a bit in your code saying that the flag as already been taken, and thus, can not be given again.

That's what I implied with what I said, I was merely pointing out that objects can be hit multiple times, even when they're already moving from a previous collision
    Quote from Dygear :
      • Teams (Where @ Client Connect or Round Start (Race Restart / Track Load) Client's Select a Team. +1
      • Deathmatch (Where all clients a vs the one client with the flag.) - good idea
    1. Why have a team area?We can't force a car to spawn anywhere. - Yes, we can't, that's why they spawn in pits and some of them will have to go and defend the base while others go to attack the base of the enemy team(it's gonna be like a big derby race at the start ;d), if that's the kind of free CTF. If it's the more classic way - we put a timer, randomly pick a team to start first(say Team1 is 1st for example) and spawn only the flag of Team2; when the timer has elapsed and noone has the flag, Team2's flag is no longer available and spawn the flag of Team1. While the timer is counting it could be good on a small window somewhere up on the screen to say either "Attack" or "Defense" - They spawn in the pit stool, or the start grid. These are your options, and you don't even have true control over that. If you mean by certain places that the teams car must get to, why not make it simple like the start / finish line? - Because I like the idea of getting the flag to your base :P
    2. How about spawning it on the node half way around the track?- Would not suit my evil plan
    3. A cone should mark the spot, and the first client to produce a AXO packet is the client who has the flag. +1
      • Being within 20 nodes of the spawn site results in a instant send to pit after X amount of time has elapsed. - dont like the idea :P ..but that's just me
    4. A button will indicate the client who as the flag's PName on each client's screen. That's all of the information you get however. It's up to you to find them, and kill them! +1
    5. Things that make you lose the flag:
      • Having a speed of 0 M/s. +1
      • Piting your car, or going to spectate. +1
      • Resetting your car. +1
      • Losing control when there is at least 1 enemy car near u. Like in lapper when it says "XYZ has lost control" or whatever it was.

6. Once the client get's to the start finish straight, they score a point for them selfs or their team and the flag is respawned. - Again, it would not suit my evil plan >:)

Fixed

Capture The Flag !
    (22 posts, started )
    FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG