The online racing simulator
Quote from spikee :

My PB in bl1 with XRT: 12351 with my own set, and 12398 with race_S

Best times between splits over all 3 days:
1st: 2791, 2nd: 3080, 3rd: 2510 and i still made lots of these damn little mistakes...

Hi Spikee and welcome

can you upload a .spr with your hotlap please? I would love to see how you got that low with your times.

Cheers

Kris
Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :Hello spikee !!

Great to have such a legendary veteran racer here in forum. Very nice times with that race_s set! Who could believe that it is possible to make those times with set that looks so crappy at first sight. Still it's too drifty for me to drive .

hehe, thx Monkster - ppl often got weird, when they heard about my age Next i will completely confuse them with braking my old PB with race_S But, i guess if the bigboys would have done so much laps in blackwood as we, "fast" would mean other times

Yes, its extremely drifty when tyres are cold, grip must come from perfect tyretemps cause it uses much less camber, so why dont drift the 1st lap till they reach their temp?

cya @domagk45
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :race_s sets r cool.
almost all of my setups (not my hotlap sets) are based on race_s cuz they r already pretty good.
usually i gain with a better set only bout 1-2 secs (on the short tracks).
so i think if u have alot driving exp. u dont "need" a good set to be fast.

After these few days with a Standard set i totally agree
@ Christian Held:

Yeah, thats exactly what i do: waiting till tyres becomes green... doing a smooth line, braking early.

I only change tyretemps in such a way that the outerside of left tyres has same temp as the middle spot and lower right side untill it feels good even @last turn. Nothing else

I must learn quoting, i see )
Quote from CrazyNuts :Hi Spikee and welcome

can you upload a .spr with your hotlap please? ...

I uploaded the official PB 12351 in hotlap section of lfsworld, done with old set: much camber, low pressure, locked diff.

and attach the replay of the 12398 with race_S. Watch Mister L.
And to be complete also both setups
Attached files
12398_qual_race_S.mpr - 794.4 KB - 257 views
XR GT TURBO_12351.set - 132 B - 253 views
XR GT TURBO_mod_race_S.set - 132 B - 243 views
Quote from OpaJo :Hello LFS Community!

Are there servers where only default setups (or one setup for all drivers) are allowed? That would nice to compare driving skill (and not tuning skill).

Regards
OpaJo

Hello OpaJo, may i help u upstairs? lol

But in serious: these weeks i´m hosting a dediserver, location: 1m lefthand... If u like, we could organize an event with standard sets, hehe oldschool...

I already got the racemanager working, with an insim gateway, so Monksters great lapper works parallel to other insim tools like the LFSSpectator .

Connection is usually half of limit, when 11 racers are doing their job, thats nice. But it runs under linux and has its typical probs
Hi spikee, sorry for answering so late. I was on holiday and after that didn't play LFS for some weeks. Meanwhile I'm tried some setups and my times get better :-) Now I can guess how much skill comes from a good setup and how much comes from driving experience ;-) I think setup tuning is a great part of this game (for many people) and I'm not sure if it would kill some of the fun allowing only default setups? How was your event? Regards OpaJo
Hello, you Lfslovers
I thought that someone might be interested in what's happened to this subject. Since then i felt ready for S2, got a licence and a few laps under my belt.

Bob's funny remark further up this thread brought me to his great VHPA tool, which i tried to thoroughly understand, with great success i must say ! At least i learnt everything i understand from sets with it. I have always passed them on, and all who werent already within 1-2 sec of wr improved across the board. If you want to look: i even saved them here: http://www.team-redline.co.uk/forum/ goto 'car care'

Now i don't wanna bore you with my long stories, but we are training on RR4 for the DoP 24hr race coming up in 2 weeks. Combo is AS4R with 3 classes: GTR + NGTR + LRF. I guess we'll be driving the FZ5 with (honestly) a only lightly modified version of race_S. Whoever wants to try: Its also available there (above link) or ask on server.

At the moment things are looking good, after some decent practice my best lap in a 10 lap race was at wr pace, hehe. (sorry arrow, i know you haven't the time to shave off time due to your special event). I then started to try and make the tires last with a much slower pace but the left front tyre still blew at lap 45. We're still working on it.

If you fancy training with us or just to spec: RR4 is always open, mostly with admin present. We try to follow the motto; "as little rules as possible" and are in the process of giving all registered racers Marshall rights. (this could take another couple of days)

And finally, whoever doesn't know yet, most bans are lifted on RR, except of course the most severe cases...you know who you are.

Have fun all
#34 - mdmx
This is interesting thread. Not least bcoz, as devs have told us, in the next big update of LFS setupping road cars (std and tbo classes i think?) is limited to tyre pressures and front toe's only, the same things you can adjust IRL without changing any parts.

They are also changing default setups to act more like a standard road car, probably meaning longer and softer springs etc.

Really looking forward it.. i just hate driving the locked-diff sets, which everybody uses, even they are fast. It feels so unnatural. And i'm too lazy to make my own LSD setups..

EDIT:
Ooops, just noticed this thread was from 2006. Anyway, due the incoming setup restrictions this is topical issue again.
hehe yes, its a while ago... anyway, ofcourse i found a set with bob´s tool, had a nice lap with it, guess its posted at lfsw. But the tires are at their limits which is quite uncool for a long race.

So i took race_s, adjusted gearings, learned the new turnspeeds and suddenly i did the same time ... but not in 1st lap
I was testing the race_s set with raceabout and i find it pretty good. After changing the brakes (600\57) and tyre pressures (140\190) with slight wheel aligments, I was doing quite nice pace 2:51.xx. I'm sure about that it can do 2:50 easily and the tires can hold it for long races too without any problems

btw I thought the "limited setup" option was bad idea, but now I change my mind
Race_S sets are good. But the OP was talking about default sets, and those sets are bad !

I used to practise XRG Hard Track @ BL1 a lot but never made any lap under 34.93 ( Patch Z ). The fastest lap I ever saw using HT set was 34.52 ( Z28 with ABS ), still a long way from WR or Race_S laps.

Will try XFG HT @ BL1 later and see what it can do.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG