The online racing simulator
#1 - ajp71
Calling all gas engineers, electricians and plumbers help our house is falling down!
I'm currently renting a student house on an assured shorthold tenancy agreement.

The house is literally falling down, the front wall already has done!

The heating has worked for 3 days this year and we have now got no hot water either.

All sorts of things have gone wrong with the house, some serious others annoying. Our letting agent is rude and aggressive towards us, they literally hang the phone up when they don't like what you're saying and if you go into the office the manager just starts shouting. They seem to completely ignore anything that doesn't suit them and constantly change their story on reported issues. In the past they have come round, fixed a reported problem, then sent us an invoice for an unnecessary call out.

To cut to the chase we have major concerns about gas safety and electrical safety in the house.

Gas safety issues

This is the real biggie that reared its ugly head on Friday night!

I went to our students union advice centre to talk about our various on going issues and returned at about 3pm to find the gas engineer carrying out the annual gas safety check on the boiler. We saw that he had striped the boiler down and spent sometime fiddling with bits of it, we have since been advised by several people that this was not part of the gas safety checks. When he left he made a comment that we find disturbing "all is safe but I will get ****** to service it" (referring to the letting agent).

At 7.45pm we found the conservatory, where the boiler is, full of thick white smoke. We called the gas emergency line and an engineer came round to make the gas safe. He marked the boiler 'unsafe' and said he was confused as to why it had been taken apart in the first place and clearly put back together incorrectly. He also replaced a piece of pipe between the gas shut off valve and the meter, which he described as a "museum piece" (says it all really!) and felt was so unsafe he replaced it despite it not being the reason for the call out.

We contacted the letting agent on Saturday morning, who was very keen to get the engineer to come and fix it straight away. We insisted that we would get Gas Safe to inspect the boiler before any work was done, this upset him greatly and resulted in lots of shouting at us, but in the end he couldn't actually say no.

Electrical safety issues

Regarding the electrical side of things our main concerns are:

We have two conventional wall mounted light switches (one of which is ancient) in a downstairs shower room. Is this legal (remember this is a rented property so the rules are even stricter)?

The main trip switch and electricity meter is located in the shower room, admittedly it is high up and in a cupboard, but this still defies common sense and is it legal?

The house has a lot of fairly pre-historic looking light switches, some of which emit visible sparks when you turn them on and off. The letting agent has assured us they are safe, we don't think so. Are they also still legal?

One of these old light switches has a crack in the casing (see photo), the letting agent has assured us it is safe, again we are not convinced.

The kitchen has 6 downlights, the 250V 50W style ones, we have gone through 9 light bulbs since September, we used to buy Tesco Value 250V 50W bulbs, these would blow within a few days. We have now started buying the expensive 35W bulbs (the light fittings are marked 250V 50W) which last a bit longer. Surely bulb consumption like this is ridiculous, the letting agent again claims there is nothing wrong with the wiring.

We also have sockets that don't work in the house, the letting agents explanation is that these are disconnected and perfectly safe. This seems very unusual to us, why you would want to disconnect sockets seems hard to understand and we suspect they haven't been intentionally disconnected. In any case it seems incredibly pointless and sloppy workmanship to disconnect a power socket and leave it in the wall.

The smoke alarm doesn't work, even with a new battery the test button does nothing.

One of the less important but still irritating issues the kitchen tap constantly drips and the seal is so knackered (half of it is hanging out of the tap) when you turn it on more water pisses out the joint than actually out the tap (see picture!).

If anybody has got previous experiences like this or any idea on what laws and regulations could be being broken in our house I'd be very interested.

Our students union advice centre have been very helpful throughout and advised us on several occasions to call environmental health, we never have done because we have tried to avoid antagonising the letting agent/landlord more than we have too. Previously they've always fixed or at least botched up the problems before we've got to that stage. Now though we are considering whether it is worth doing so given that we have now been directly put at risk by the letting agent and their shady sub-contractors.
Attached images
shower.jpg
halllight.jpg
sink.jpg
Run!
#3 - 5haz
Surely you have some kind of agreement with them that obliges them to maintain the place to some standard? Surely you could take legal action over this?

Seriously yeah run before the bloody place catches fire, then make sure their arses get a good hiding.
i had an experience with a bad landlord myself... but over here we have some sort of tribunal who is supposed to take care of landlord/tenant beefs...

if they have something similar over there, document everything, take lots of pictures, and present it to them. pay your rent normally and don't do anything to piss off your landlord, and let the civil matter go through.
#6 - ajp71
Quote from 5haz :Surely you have some kind of agreement with them that obliges them to maintain the place to some standard? So surely you could take legal action over this?

Thats mad, they're taking the michael.

Yes they do, regarding the electrical side of things they're insisting it is safe and try and send us invoices for unnecessary call outs, I think their definition of safe is it hasn't killed you yet...

Calling environmental health and getting them to inspect the electrical safety of the house seems like the next step. As I understand it they can put an injunction that the landlord either has to get work done or they will do the work and fine the landlord. Unfortunately this takes a long time though and we've got no hot water or heating at the minute and the list of problems grows by the day.

As for the gas side of things we will contact the Gas Safe Register on Monday and get them to do an inspection of the boiler to determine what was wrong with it. Unfortunately as I understand it there is no way to specify who the landlord gets to do the work so if he says the same cow boy who broke it (who is Gas Safe registered) will fix it then that is what we have to live with. We do intend to take the complaints procedure as far as possible. The same engineer has done the plumbing on the house as well that keeps breaking (we had a stuck valve that stopped the heating before that they tried to claim was burst pipes/frost damage). Having spoke to the emergency engineer and a couple of other gas engineers it looks like there may well be scope for criminal charges depending on what has actually been done. If it turns out the gas safety certificate was issued when the engineer knew full well it was dangerous we are not going to let it drop!
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Run!

Probably the best advice you will be given. I would of made a run for it after the boiler incident...

Also, this kind of made me chuckle.
#8 - ajp71
Quote from bunder9999 :i had an experience with a bad landlord myself... but over here we have some sort of tribunal who is supposed to take care of landlord/tenant beefs...

if they have something similar over there, document everything, take lots of pictures, and present it to them. pay your rent normally and don't do anything to piss off your landlord, and let the civil matter go through.

Yes we don't actually have any contact with our landlord, we just have an address that we right letters to, they get signed for but we never hear back from him. This is particularly irritating because the letting agent do all the day to day issues/maintenance, but have no legal obligation to do so. This meas when they don't like what we're saying they can just say write to the landlord and hang the phone up. The letting agent just seems to act like a bully and shield for the landlord. If things start going in writing the landlord usually has 30 days from receipt of the letter to do something then 14 days to actually rectify the problem. We can't wait 2 months to get the heating and hot water back so have to go through the incredibly unprofessional letting agent to actually get anything done.

There are court options but they don't get anything done quickly, we've only got 4 months left in the house and probably won't achieve anything in court for at least a year. Although some compensation probably will be available by doing so it isn't a lot of help right now and if the house burns down tonight it isn't going to be much use.
#9 - Jakg
Unfortunately a sim-racing forum probably isn't the best place to get the low-down on UK rental law as at least 3 other posts have demonstrated.

My advice would be to make a post over at Landlord Zone, tbh...

My other point would be deposit - if the LA have been this gimpy so far, what do you think the odds might be of actually getting that back (can't be beneath them to make up charges) - might be a good idea to start taking notes in case you need to get your deposit back via the court...
Quote from ajp71 :Yes we don't actually have any contact with our landlord, we just have an address that we right letters to, they get signed for but we never hear back from him. This is particularly irritating because the letting agent do all the day to day issues/maintenance, but have no legal obligation to do so. This meas when they don't like what we're saying they can just say write to the landlord and hang the phone up. The letting agent just seems to act like a bully and shield for the landlord. If things start going in writing the landlord usually has 30 days from receipt of the letter to do something then 14 days to actually rectify the problem. We can't wait 2 months to get the heating and hot water back so have to go through the incredibly unprofessional letting agent to actually get anything done.

There are court options but they don't get anything done quickly, we've only got 4 months left in the house and probably won't achieve anything in court for at least a year. Although some compensation probably will be available by doing so it isn't a lot of help right now and if the house burns down tonight it isn't going to be much use.

I would still got to court, even after a year.... Simply to get back at them....
Surely with propper evidence you cant loose this. Its just beyond crazy.....

By the way, whats the letting company called?
(i don't know nout about stuff like this)

but wouldn't it be possible to get the police involved? It is the landlords legal obligation to maintain the property.
Quote from Jakg :Unfortunately a sim-racing forum probably isn't the best place to get the low-down on UK rental law as at least 3 other posts have demonstrated.

i can't help being canadian.

Quote from DevilDare :Surely with proper evidence you cant loose this. Its just beyond crazy.....

i thought that about the one i had... i somehow ended up losing, because i walked on my lease one month before it expired. but if you saw the hellhole i lived in, you'd walk too.
This is nice; I'm moving to a student house for year two of my university course... Really not giving me confidence in the house we chose! I kid, but anyway...

You may want to post this on The Student Room forums as well; since it's full of people who have probably had similar experience with these kinds of problems. I don't know what it is about student housing landlords, but they seem to think that because you're a student they can rip you off as much as they like without any concequences.

As long as you, yourselves are not breaking any of the contract agreements during your time in the house, file as many complaints and inspections as possible; they can't kick you out for it. Document everything that happens, which I'm sure you already have; including times of day, names of people who came and exact problems. It'll make the whole case stand up better. Receipts for stuff you replaced yourselves might come in handy, too. You need to make the most out of this sorry situation.
Pictures, videos, writing, poems, dances..... Gather as much stuff as you can to show how much of a death trap your living in and take the bastards to court. I'm sure it would be easy pickings for any soliciter once you show them the case.
#15 - Jakg
Quote from Luke.S :but wouldn't it be possible to get the police involved? It is the landlords legal obligation to maintain the property.

Civil, not criminal matter, so the police wont care. It's what the courts are for.
Lol, gotta love incompetent landlords. In our case, we discovered that our kitchen outlets and living room outlets are on the same circuit - which is stupid. It also meant that if we had our entertainment system on and tried to use the microwave, it would trip the fuse. We told them this was unacceptable, so their maintenance guy came and the solution was he took out the 20-Amp breaker in the fuse panel and replaced it with a 30-Amp breaker. These are old apartments.

Lol, so now instead of the fuse tripping, we're just waiting for the walls to catch fire.
Any wetroom, shower room, bathroom whatever, must NOT have a conventional on off light switch in it, it must either have a pull cord switch, or if not the switch must be outside the door.

Quote from New EEC Safety regulations :

New regulations have been bought in recently and they state that all bathroom lights and their fittings must be completely encased to avoid moisture getting in that could lead to electric shocks and shorting. Please remember never to use conventional light fittings and the bathroom light switch should be either fitted with a cord or outside the bathroom.

Quote from danthebangerboy :Any wetroom, shower room, bathroom whatever, must NOT have a conventional on off light switch in it, it must either have a pull cord switch, or if not the switch must be outside the door.

What he said, but if you really want (which i highly doubt if u know what the consequences might be) an switch/main trip switch and electricity meter in your shower room you'd need switches and mainly - boxes with high IP (What is IP?) to keep the moisture out of where its not supposed to be at all. That im sure will cost more than taking ones you have now, outside the room.
Quote from danthebangerboy :Any wetroom, shower room, bathroom whatever, must NOT have a conventional on off light switch in it, it must either have a pull cord switch, or if not the switch must be outside the door.

why a pull cord? and what about the light itself? that regulation doesn't make much sense... as soon as a short is detected on the circuit the breaker would trip anyways...

the only thing our regulations demand is that GFCI's are installed in bathrooms. seeing as i don't have a socket in there to start, i think i'm alright.
if you think about it, all the wires for a pull chord switch are not in the room but in the celing
and heat/steam rises.
Quote from anbiddulph :if you think about it, all the wires for a pull chord switch are not in the room but in the celing

so do traditional SPST switches though, it all gets crammed into the junction box.
Find somewhere else to live?
#25 - Jakg
Quote from dadge :kettle call the pot black?

On this forum there are lots of people with an interest in cars, and some seem to know a fair bit about mechanics.

No-one has yet impressed me with their knowledge on rental law, though...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG