The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I love driving the spec racer in the current iRacing build, I even put more rear anti roll on than most others have as I like it with more over steer than what most sets have got currently If you find it is giving you snap over steer when you lift off simply keep a bit of throttle on as you transition, I also tend to bring the brake bias forward a little compared to the baseline.

@ SilverArrows77 - it definately is more stable with larger steering lock.
The Spec racer is great fun to drive it's the car I drove when I got my free demo which was the last week 13 It does wander about about a bit on the straight though feels a bit like the MRT , the Skippy is still the business for me Its the worse choice Iracing could have picked from a business point of view, Its just so good I don't want anything else.

Weeks after trying It for the first time it doesn't get boring it just gets better and better, but to fair maybe the SRF has hidden qualities to be discovered , I just cant get used to the drunken sailor feeling in a straight line.
Quote from Gills4life :

Edit: MadCat I'm not sure you're reading all of what he says.

Quote from Doug :I've been racing REAL SRFs for 10 years, and they are nothing like the iRacing car.

Are YOU reading what he says?

It doesn't handle like the real car. Period.

The SRF in iRacing handles horribly. This is fact. No "good" car snaps like that when driven "improperly" (entering on the throttle, name one serious racing machine that requires this - even the real cars DO NOT require this). To fix this, the car needs unrealistic settings and tire pressures (the real car does not have adjustable springs).
uhh... Guys? Can I ask you a question?

iRacing website asked me to update my system, and so I did...

And there it was saying something of a 'Nationwide Chevy', is that nothing to do with the Silverado or I'm just THAT n00b? hehehe
You've kind of proven you're not reading all of what he has said then. You are only reading that one line of text. To answer your question: Yes, I am reading what he says. The difference is, I am reading all of it, and not focusing on one sentence.

Quote from Doug Azzarito :I think they did a LOT of work making the SRF accurate. The only mistakes they made were in the anti-roll bar (the real car has an infinitely-adjustable bar, the SIM allows 3 positions). The other thing I noticed is that tire pressures don't come up like in real life. In my car, I can set my rear pressures at 22, and after 10 laps, they are at 30. The sim pressures only rise a couple of pounds (maybe they use nitrogen?).

Quote from Doug Azzarito :After a full day of testing, I have my iRacing car handling just about where my real car is. The only difference is that my SIM car is running wildly different tire pressures than real life. They don't sim any of my home tracks except for Texas Motor Speedway. I will probably buy that track and run some laps to compare real vs. sim times.

I teach racing in real life, and I think iRacing would make an excellent teaching device. You can learn to drive smooth, hit your marks, be consistent, and the only thing you don't get is the g-forces. I have watched FAST iRacers, and some would NOT cut it in the real world (they drift instead of drive), but if you learn to drive properly in iRacing, it WOULD help you if you ever hit the track for real. I can't wait to see what happens when I hit Road Atlanta in a couple of months, having used iRacing to prepare me.

Totally know where you're coming from SilverArrows. Same has happened to me. I can't say I regret it though to be fair. I do feel like I have been played by some effective marketing strategies, which makes me feel like a massive dong, but I am really enjoying myself and that's what it's all about at the end of the day!
Quote from Gills4life :You've kind of proven you're not reading all of what he has said then. You are only reading that one line of text. To answer your question: Yes, I am reading what he says. The difference is, I am reading all of it, and not focusing on one sentence.

If you read the context of the thread he is talking about setup settings. He even states that he has to use wildly different settings than in real life to make the car behave as it should.

The baseline, default SRF doesn't even drive like a real car, let alone like the real SRF.
I know what you're saying SilverArrows. I think it's a great pity with the Mazda etc that we don't get a lot more of the default tracks. I'd like to do Lowes Road Course, Lime Rock, Summit, Laguna. All superb fun tracks. There should be a half way house, especially in the D and C class cars to accommodate people moving up. I know that for some people that are already in season 5+, a change is good fun but not at the cost of the default tracks.

Still, I do love the racing!
Nice one SilverArrow.

I thought I would try some oval this season after quite enjoying the world cup play offs, having been threatened at gun point and forced to drive the COT by our Celtic team boss! That barstuard Crozier owes me lol

First two races at Daytona in the COT were a disaster. Not a good idea! I really can hardly believe that people, 'A' class drivers if you will, cannot run a two turn track without causing mayhem. You don't even have to brake at any part of the track for crying out loud! whinge, whinge, cry, cry

Then I thought I'll give the Late Model a go. Numpty that I am did not put enough fuel in and had to stop for fuel! Still somehow managed second place though. Late model is actually a very good car to drive, certainly my favourite oval car.
Quote from AlienT. :Nice one SilverArrow.

I thought I would try some oval this season after quite enjoying the world cup play offs, having been threatened at gun point and forced to drive the COT by our Celtic team boss! That barstuard Crozier owes me lol

First two races at Daytona in the COT were a disaster. Not a good idea! I really can hardly believe that people, 'A' class drivers if you will, cannot run a two turn track without causing mayhem. You don't even have to brake at any part of the track for crying out loud! whinge, whinge, cry, cry

Then I thought I'll give the Late Model a go. Numpty that I am did not put enough fuel in and had to stop for fuel! Still somehow managed second place though. Late model is actually a very good car to drive, certainly my favourite oval car.

The late model is definitely the better of the oval race cars imo. Can't remember the schedule (and can't access the site due to work blocking the site) but if the trucks are at Daytona this week I'll be racing a couple races tonight, love the close racing, but hate the complaining from some when the big one happens.

Will also be racing the Skippy this season as I have ignored this and tried to skip (no pun intended) ahead into the C class, but just dont have the skill level and think I'll need to learn from a class below.
Yep the trucks are at Daytona. I might have a bash (probably literally) in them tonight as well.

I take it, due to the snow, you didn't make it to Dens Park this weekend Mackie or are you a die hard and sledged down there It was a good result for Ross County.
Quote from AlienT. :Yep the trucks are at Daytona. I might have a bash (probably literally) in them tonight as well.

I take it, due to the snow, you didn't make it to Dens Park this weekend Mackie or are you a die hard and sledged down there It was a good result for Ross County.

No I made it down and missed the race at Daytona . To be fair the snow never seemed to make it pass Dalwhinnie and the bus journey from Dingwall to Perth took only 2 1/2 hours (a record I think) and in Dundee by 1pm. Couldn't find a decent pub or chipper near Dens Park though .

As for the game, couldn't be happier about the result and performance, and although some now are starting to think of possible league titles, I'm still thinking that we've done enough to avoid the dreaded "R" word and anything else is a bonus.
Quote from AlienT. :Yep the trucks are at Daytona. I might have a bash (probably literally) in them tonight as well.

I'm going to do the late models this season I think and a splattering of trucks on the super ovals
Oh jeez, i was all looking forward to the new season & getting my A licence but in true iRacing fashion computer says NO!. Take my advice & dont race with the aussies/japs @ 3pm in the afternoon. I was mid pack coming off T1, saw an accident started to slow 'bang' some one thought they would keep going flat out despite a car spinning down the track out of control :doh:. Half the field got wrecked & this was a road race.
Quote from anttt69 :Oh jeez, i was all looking forward to the new season & getting my A licence but in true iRacing fashion computer says NO!. Take my advice & dont race with the aussies/japs @ 3pm in the afternoon. I was mid pack coming off T1, saw an accident started to slow 'bang' some one thought they would keep going flat out despite a car spinning down the track out of control :doh:. Half the field got wrecked & this was a road race.

Sorry you had a bad race. I have to say from my experience I'd say the opposite. They're the nicest bunch I've raced with and generally the cleanest when compared to late night racing or weekend racing. Guess you just had a bad one with a bad egg racing too....
Dont worry it was just one of those things, it involved an english man & an aussie who both must have been half asleep at the time. It was quite bizarre, i watched it back like ten times & the English guy still wouldn't admit that he did anything wrong.
There are Idiots in every nation,where a driver comes from Is meaningless , If they cause crashes report them.

I must have shared the track (mostly practise in the last season)with hundreds of drivers but in the few races I've had mostly in the( dreaded ) Rookie Solstice class I've only seen 1 genuine plonker in that time and acted accordingly.

Maybe I've just been lucky

Had my first few practise laps tonight In the Skippy@ Infineon the most demanding and Infuriating track so far for me...I Love It.
Quote from JohnPenn :
Had my first few practise laps tonight In the Skippy@ Infineon the most demanding and Infuriating track so far for me...I Love It.

Infineon is, in my opinion, the greatest track in North America. It's future proof - even though it was built during a time when the cars were vastly different, it still races well with new machinery of all speeds. There are plenty of places to pass, but you need tons of balls to do it.

And people always coo over Laguna Seca because of it's negative Gs going over Corkscrew. Laguna has Corkscrew, but Infineon has turn 2 (negative G at the apex, after braking up a mountain), turn 3 (negative G on the blind exit), and braking for carousel.

It's also one of the few remaining dangerous tracks. It hasn't got sand traps, there are no tire walls (at least where they matter), and it becomes a monster in the rain (braking for turn 2 becomes a waterfall, there are rivers going into 3 in the basin, and turn 10 becomes a massive puddle). I was actually there in 2008 when a USTCC car speared off in 1 and launched into the stands under the timing tower. Those have since been closed, and a concrete barrier is on the outside of T1 now. No tires, either - just concrete. Go off there at 130 in one of the Jim Russell F3 cars and you will die.

In short, yes, it's a ****ing awesome track.
Quote from MadCat360 :Infineon is, in my opinion, the greatest track in North America. It's future proof - even though it was built during a time when the cars were vastly different, it still races well with new machinery of all speeds. There are plenty of places to pass, but you need tons of balls to do it.

And people always coo over Laguna Seca because of it's negative Gs going over Corkscrew. Laguna has Corkscrew, but Infineon has turn 2 (negative G at the apex, after braking up a mountain), turn 3 (negative G on the blind exit), and braking for carousel.

It's also one of the few remaining dangerous tracks. It hasn't got sand traps, there are no tire walls (at least where they matter), and it becomes a monster in the rain (braking for turn 2 becomes a waterfall, there are rivers going into 3 in the basin, and turn 10 becomes a massive puddle). I was actually there in 2008 when a USTCC car speared off in 1 and launched into the stands under the timing tower. Those have since been closed, and a concrete barrier is on the outside of T1 now. No tires, either - just concrete. Go off there at 130 in one of the Jim Russell F3 cars and you will die.

In short, yes, it's a ****ing awesome track.

Agreed. I've run it in various sims and always come away thinking 'Did I make it?'

It's a work of art.

And great in the sim too
nice one Chris! You did great
Finished 2nd in my DP race last night (to Shannon Whitmore), thought I had him setup on the outside but he ran me a tad wide and I got in the loose stuff and lost too much ground to catch back up with him by the end (were within 1 second of each other first 20 of 30 laps).

2 COT races into my season and got destroyed in both (wrong place wrong time = me @ Daytona).
Since when did they stop letting you pay by instant bank transfer? I bought a month just before christmas using that and it was fine
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG