The online racing simulator
What do you get from today's LFS?
Well, today i went on LFS and looked at the Top 10 of the serverlist.

You can see 4 Cruise servers 2 Drift servers (one of them is demo and one of them is the most overused track for drifting) and 3 regular demo servers with GTi and FBM combos and of course 1 good racing server full of people and fun. That may be the reason why people are getting bored of LFS ? Probably.
#2 - JJ72
Is that the cause or the aftermath? I think it is the aftermath more than anything else.
What do i get from today's lfs? How the hell do i know? ...

In before the lock!
Slow development caused people to get bored, people getting bored causes this :P
Both i guess. Aftermath cause old players left, cause for new players
+1 on that! i think the series havent gone down one bit actually... i cant havent even noticed this you are talking about... i think it´s because once you start racing in leagues, you get hooked on the great racing you see there... the slow drivers move out of the way, the fast drivers know how to handle blue flag... and everybody usually keeps it together a bit more since there is more at stake...

Then you go public and you find yourself crahsed 3 of 5 races... and besides slow drivers handlig blue flag bad... fast drivers are even worse since they tend to just weck people out their way while passing...

Thats why the public racing is poor...
Quote from AcesHigh :+1 on that! i think the series havent gone down one bit actually... i cant havent even noticed this you are talking about... i think it´s because once you start racing in leagues, you get hooked on the great racing you see there... the slow drivers move out of the way, the fast drivers know how to handle blue flag... and everybody usually keeps it together a bit more since there is more at stake...

Then you go public and you find yourself crahsed 3 of 5 races... and besides slow drivers handlig blue flag bad... fast drivers are even worse since they tend to just weck people out their way while passing...

Thats why the public racing is poor...

Good points. I do not do any league racing, but pickup racing, and I totally agree on what you tells, it's a nightmore sometimes.
#8 - Dac
The biggest thing that gets my grips is I only really like racing at Blackwood in the FBM at the moment and you have a very limited choice. Air Attack is the one to be at but it's always full, so you go for a lesser one, such as Formel BMW but realise they aren't very competative, so you go for one of the other ones and find you just win race after race so they end up banning you :S
Quote from JPeace :if you dont know, dont post. simple.

referring to the OP, i think that the lack of racing servers mean that people only really play LFS for the league races, for instance MoE, OWRL and iTCC etc. fox junkies for instance, you can have some decent racing there, but only about 1/2 of the races are ones you can enjoy. most of the times end up with rage quit lol.
there is also iron horse racing servers, (IHR), which seemed good at first, but poor admin control and lack of people being on the server to clean it up have made the server go down hill imo.
Once upon a time, redline racing ruled the servers, 4 servers, most of them full most of the time, meaning, if you didnt like 1 server because of the poor level of driving there, you had the option to go somewhere else. nowadays, you dont have that option.
i think this is the age old argument that public races will always be poor because of the "noobs" or beginners starting out and making mistakes that cause the whole feild to crash. but tbh, there is nothing anyone can do about that.
the old players havn't really left, but only ever appear for league races such as MoE etc.

Nowadays we have 8 severs and double the options.
We also have a system where we can lock some of the servers if the racing gets bad, so only people on our "VIP" list (over 600) can race.
Once the server is locked people can still spectate but only race if they are on the list.
Its easy to become a VIP and not a exclusive thing and not relying on a certain amount of points.
All you need to do is race on our servers and our admins will add you if they find your racing to be polite and considerate, like observing blue flags etc...
You can get all the info here:
http://www.team-redline.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=117.0
Quote from JPeace :referring to the OP, i think that the lack of racing servers mean that people only really play LFS for the league races

You know? This point is always broad up by someone, but its wrong. I know that all the people i know private who used to play LFS dont play it anymore and none of them joined a league. Maybe my sample is to small and not representative but one thing for me is sure:

GPL is also still played in some leagues as far as i know or at least it has been for a long time. But still, i would consider it as dead.

I dont want to say LFS is dead or not in development. But still, even though we assume the three are still working hard (and i really think they are) we are facing a problem. Because LFS was for lots of people never about leagues and the majority of people dont have time (especially predictable time) to enroll in leagues! That was what LFS was always about for me, pick up races. Like a good shooter, pic up games and it was the only racing game what mastered this quiet well.

So the question is, what changed? And how can "we" change it back, as long as we want to....
Well I still love racing on LFS and I am not planning on leaving anytime soon, but I have a code, never get angry at or in a games, games are to entertain us and not to get the anger out of us, sport works better if you ask me (try it ).

What's sad is if you want a very busy server today you have to close your eyes on many things, if you enforce strong policy to insure quality you can still maintain a nice server, but it will not be as busy as if you didn't...
A long time ago I chose not to close my eyes on anything I see, but I believe in second chances and short bans to give them a chance to improve...and I believe there is good in all of us!

I know we have a young public who likes to pickup fights and make intensive use of bad language, but I always think it is because of a lack of personality and maturity, after all you can't ask a 16 years old to act like an adult... of course it gets more complicated when an adult act like a kid...some will never grow up!

To come back on the original question, it looks like the chicken and egg story, is that because servers are not busy that ppls gets bored or is that because ppls get bored that servers are not busy?

I think we should all forget about development, they have made an error to announce things which are not coming as fast as expected, and it wrongfully became the source of all problems!
LFS is still my favorite sim like it is, so think about it, if you forget about new patches and concentrate on enjoying what we have, it will be a great surprise when they (finally) arrive!
I think the most of the teams have closed/private servers just for training their members.

Maybe opening those servers once in a whyle with some combos (possibly the ones they need to test for the next league race, why not) would do good... But I understand perfectly why they keep them closed...
2 things today, both from IHR Server
1: I had the great pleasure of racing with Jeep, IMO one of the best drivers in LFS, I started almost at the back of 28 drivers and worked my way up to 5th, never even got close enough to even see Jeep, but it was still an honor to be on the track with the guy.

2: I ran into an old team mate from NASSA who was driving with a skin the I drew way back in 2004 or 05. Spent most of the race on the bumper of the double 0 NASSA car, but just could not find the speed to get by him, seems he still hasn't lost his touch, Kudos my friend

AAnt
aw man i would kill for 50 ping on IHR or other mint servers like that... i get 350+
What do I get? An awesome simulation that's just a blast to get on and drive. In terms of sheer driving pleasure, LFS is king.
Quote from MadCat360 :What do I get? An awesome simulation that's just a blast to get on and drive. In terms of sheer driving pleasure, LFS is king.

Pretty much the same for me. Even more so that I've recently discovered the joy of driving the LX4 around Fern Bay Black using one of sets Axus posted a while back for the car. With his set, I'm flying (well, more like crawling for most ... ) around FE4 with a grin on my face like the days I first discovered LFS and was figuring out how to get through the chicane at BL1 at speed.
I get great friendships and a lot of fun from LFS.
Also frustration, I urgently need to get racing more so I'm less of a noob and can actually somewhat follow my teammates...

What concerns hosts, I get like 500 hosts loading and I see a lot more Cruise and Drift servers around than just those you show. Enough servers, no people though it seems...

Duck: I have 20 ping on IHR
Quote from Kristi :Drift servers (one of them is demo and one of them is the most overused track for drifting)

The server lets people choose the track. FE3R seems to be the most popular for drifting, what does it matter if it's common, as long as people enjoy it?

Quote from Kristi :That may be the reason why people are getting bored of LFS ? Probably.

In my opinion, Insim killed the fun. Since all these servers with "addons" cropped up, you're forced to do specific things, pretend to be this and be penalised for that, or have to work your way up the ranks or earn cash, what complete bollocks, this is supposed to be a racing sim, not a World of Racecraft MMO.

I havn't played much -online- on LFS for over a year, simply because of all that. Before that, there were always servers offering good racing, especially back around the X12 patch. I used to -race- alot in demo mode with the XRT, even though I had an S2 licence, it was great fun, but then it got replaced with FBM, which I'm not a fan of, and that kind of killed the fun as well for alot of people. These days, all insim, no real racing on simple basic servers, so I play other games, and keep an eye on the forum... waiting until something fun comes back to LFS.

That's my opinion anyway...
I still enjoy lfs, i pick my servers were there is fast drivers and good competition, And for insims, the one's i like r the ones that record split times ect, I mostly race the mrt at the moment, as its a fun car to drive, Just.racing is my favourite server. Lfs will never die for me, The only thing that gets up my coat is the people that wine wine and wine about what they want ect, The game since 2006 has only improved in my opinion and can only get better as its a quality racing sim.

Regards john

http://just.te4m.de/
hey be patient soon the Bulgarian comunity will waunch 24h race servers sponsored by internet company evo*bg ( 1 tbit connection )
and i hope there will be new cool servers too
Only racing for a few weeks, but imo it's hard to find a server that is in between crash server and a pro server. The pro servers seem to focus on getting some hundreds of the drivers fastest time, over and over again on the same track, which is fine but this is too competitive for me. Also there is limited choice of tracks and they are fictional. I think when driving on Spa it would change a lot.. I don't know if this is the same when upgrading to S2. I've noticed the servers on S1 license are pretty much dead, which I really regret because SC is much more fun than blackwood imo which is quite boring.. I just want to have good realistic race at intermediate level.
I get nowt from LFS these days because I haven't played it for months
Quote from mookie427 :I get nowt from LFS these days because I haven't played it for months

too bad some new server like IHR ironhorse racing are really good, it's worth taking a look at those
Quote :What do you get from today's LFS?

Not a patch, definitely.
Just started playing a bit of LFS lately and the only thing I can find are BL1 XFG/XRG servers which get dull quickly, and just to get a bit of variety in I've been forced to get stuck in with the likes of cruisers and drifters.

:hide:

These are dark times my friends, let us not forget from where we came!

or some shit...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG