(33 posts, started )
Quote from anttt69 :it is like real racing apart from:
  • The Sounds
  • The Vibrations
  • The Smells
  • The G-forces
  • The Locations
  • The Costs
in essence its a long way from the real thing.

And it adds
  • lag
  • reset or start over from pits with a repaired car immediately
  • chatting
  • always the same weather conditions
  • chips and cola
The fear argument always amuses in me. I've never been scared when racing. If you feel fear when racing it is time to hang up your gloves.

Even in my biggest RL kart accident to date, whilst racing rentals on an indoor circuit I suffered a catastrophic wheel failure on a flat out corner which resulted in my kart ending up planted nose first into the barrier on the outside of turn 1 with it's ass in the air. I was spread eagled on turn 2 with karts coming by either side of me.

I ran to the kart, took the transponder and ran to the pits, switched the transponder and resumed racing where I eventually finishing second, a lap down on my brother who I had been battling when the accident happened.

After the race I descovered my crash helmet had literally been flattened on top from the impact. At no point was I scared. Fear does not come into it.

There is no fear of death in racing, if I genuinely thought I might die when racing then i'd take up a different a hobby.

The reason you don't dive bomb T1 in real life (although sometimes drivers do) is because people aren't stupid and because racing takes a lot of effort commitment and expense.

The reason dive bombing sometimes happen in sim racing is because sim racing doesn't require a lot of effort, commitment and expense - thus allowing people to be stupid.

However, to be the best in any sport - and sim racing is a sport - does require commitment and effort. Sim racing caters to a large audience, so be careful not to confuse the casual racers with the sporting competitors.
#28 - 5haz
Fear is too strong a word, but nerves is certainly part of real racing, a lot of drivers are visibly nervous before a race, some box it up inside, they may look cool on the surface but they might be quaking underneath.

I can remember how sitting on the grid for my first race my knees we're shattering from knocking so much. But when the lights go out the nerves dissapear because theres simply too much else to get on with.

Its true you certainly can't race a car with nerves, you'll inevitably miss a gear or you'll be too stiff operating the controls, so you'll mess up with makes you even more nervous, which in turn leads to a vicious circle.

Its also true that when you're in a crash there simply isn't enough time to be scared, by the time your brain catches up its all over, by which time you're either dead, unconscious, in shock or perfectly fine. The mind is quite amazing at protecting itself when horrible things happen.
Quote from 5haz :I can remember how sitting on the grid for my first race my knees we're shattering from knocking so much. But when the lights go out the nerves dissapear because theres simply too much else to get on with.

Nerves I can relate too, right up to the moment I press the accelerator. In my last race, an inter-performance car industry event, I was close to blowing chunks I was so nervous, but when the moment of truth arrived I completely forgot about how i'd been feeling.

I get nervous because I have high expectations of myself and require myself to perform well, and because I expect so much I get worried that I cannot deliver. It's nothing at all to do with trepidation of accidents, and everything to do with the will to win.
Oh i dunno becks, the first time i went out in a banger i was genuinely scared out of my wits.

Just picture the scene....

my first time out, in not only my first banger race, my first time at any motorsport ever! I was that clueless that i couldn't even get my 5 point done up properly, my mate had to dive in through the windscreen hole and belt me in so i was tight enough!

So, there i sat, in the pitlane lined up to go out in the 2nd race of the day, (F2 stocks were on for 1 race then bangers started) fully belted in, very tightly, helmet, neck brace, kidney belt, gloves, overalls, the full works on, and then.......

Because it was such a wet and rainy meeting they decided to put on 2 more heats of F2's in order to try and dry the track out a bit, which resulted in me being sat there for getting on for an hour before i actually got out there, and once it was time to go out i realised that i really needed a wee, which didn't really help matters.

So, totally terrified on the way onto the track, rolling lap started and im think, ohhhhh fuuuuu-k, but as soon as the green flag dropped i felt fine, fear totally disappeared, too much to think about, no time for worrying!

Long and short of it, i did about 2 laps, got ran into the armco, bounced round it, bending lots of bits so i had practically no steering and the vacuum thing fell off the carb, so no power, just an engine that bogged until i got to about the redline, so i limped on for another lap before getting picked up and ran in again, but this time it was a MUCH quicker car that got me and he fired me in dead square against the armco and that was it, driveshafts fell out, car deaded.

Spent 2 hours trying to re attach the front suspension after a very helpful F2 driver welded the suspension leg back together but it was no good, no amount of welding or pulling with a crane could get the car back so it was square enough for anything to fit again, she was dead, and that was my night done with.

Despite that sickening feeing of terror beforehand, i'd still do it all again tho, as the fear kind of pales into insignificance when i think of how much i enjoyed it when i was out there, eventhough my car did get raped!
Quote :as soon as the green flag dropped i felt fine

Isn't that supporting what I said?

If you feel fear when racing it would effect your driving and decision making - it would be time to stop racing. Fear before a race is perfectly normal.
Indeed, it is supporting what you said mate, i was just highlighting that you can be totally petrifed right up until the very nanosecond that you *have* to concentrate in the job in hand, which was in my case, badly manhandling a mk3 fiesta around a muddy track, but then its gone, my kind of point being that fear isn't a bad thing, but in 99% of cases goes out the window once you get going, or in my case, get stopping.
The reason people don't divebomb in reality is because the penalty is more severe, looking like a tool in real life isn't the same as looking like a tool on the internet.

Is LFS like real racing?
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG